The Toilet Question......

Janeyjane

Hi

I picked up my first motorhome late last night, so I've spent today figuratively driving myself round in circles ensuring I have all the essentials. I found a local supplier for the small gas cylinders, hurrah, but now I'm struggling with toilet facilities..... yeuwww :-(

I thought, rather than waste money, I'd be better getter over my embarassment about talking about sanitation and first ask people who might know!

As mine is a micro-motorhome, I'm having space issues already. I had a hot water heater installed and that's taken up the space that most people use for the porta potti storage in this van. I now can't find a toilet small enough to fit in the other low storage spaces, and though it would fit in the Luton space, I don't fancy lifting a toilet with flusing system, full with 10+L of water, to that height.

Options I've considered:
1) I've seen the bucket type toilets, but I can't believe they wouldn't smell, badly....
2) Leaving the porta potti in the gap between the bench seats whilst moving, but then it seems to take up a disproportionate amount of space when I intend to use public toilets wherever possible
3) Folding no-water systems, where you get a biodegradable bag, powder filled bag or gel sack to line the pan

Option 3 seems to take up least space and be most hygenic of the smaller options, but means having to keep buying the liner bags. Has anybody tried them? How do they rate compared to a standard porta potti? Would I be better taking a porta potti in the luton space and then only filling it with water when I want to use it???

Thoughts/ideas/opinions???

Jj
....first night sleeping in the van tonight.... outside my house, but it still counts!!

Good question, Janey;), is this the folding/no water toilet you are referring to?

http://www.easycaretoilet.com/.

If so I think this could be your best bet, even though it is a bit pricey:(,

Alternatively, would it be possible to fit a back box to the rear of your van in order to carry a porta potti whilst travelling and bring it indoors when bedding down for the night.

Hope this helps, if not,I'm sure someone will come up with the answer, although I've got a feeling you may get some cheeky suggestions:eek::D:cool:

Bumper dumper

:D:D:D Really did laugh out loud at the last 2 links:p, but thats them yanks for you;):D

I think, if you get the Elsan (bucket type) at least you can travel with it partly used and if you put the correct quantity of fluid (disinfectant type) it should not smell. However try to keep it in a sealed locker, just to make sure:cool:

No can do. Mine's a Romahome, don't forget! No locker space tall enough :-(

Jj

Well, just a thought, but is there anything made for kids (Mothercare or similar)that would be suitable for the locker:confused:

I hadn't mentioned I'm rather a 'large' lady, had I? The idea of balancing on a bucket is traumatic enough, let alone something designed for a child :eek:

That just brings horrible images to mind...... <shudder>

Luckily if I get caught short in the middle of the night tonight, the downstairs loo is only 2 seconds away! Need something slightly more practical for next weekend though!

Jj

Last edited:
I think you are stuck with the folding stool and plastic liner option. Throw a handfull of kitty litter into the bag before you use it to keep the odour down if you cant "chuck it out the window" straight away. Buy some cheap cable ties to seal the liner after use - tying a bag full of pre loved food is not my idea of fun. Cheap disposable latex gloves are always helpful.

i think if you go to a camping outdoor shop you will find a small porta potty that will fit somewhare. if you are traveling alone how about utilizing some space in the passenger side of your van while on the move then you can put it in the back when parked up .

Romahomes usually use a small Porta Potti i.e. 335 like the ones from:-

www.campervanstuff.com/shop_stuff/index.php?mod=product&id_prd=1040

;) Dimensions in mm: 305 high x 343 wide x 381 deep. :confused: This fits under either side of the bed. eek: Check this one out as well:-

www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Kampa_Khazi_Portable_Toilet.html

It doesn't give dimensions, but it's only 5Ltr capacity :rolleyes: so should be even smaller! :cool: JIM.

I seem to have acquired a lot of 'gadgets under the beds: water tank, water heater, blown air heater. As mine is only a Romahome, there now isn't a single decent size spare area, not even enough for the first one :-(

The second is a 'dump and chuck' which doesn't appeal from a smell point of view :-(

Thanks for trying though!

Jj

It hurts !

it hurts to say this (as the romahome is your pride and joy !) but i think you should bite the bullet and consider a larger MH with all the convenience (excuse pun!) that comes with it. sorry if this upsets you.

it hurts to say this (as the romahome is your pride and joy !) but i think you should bite the bullet and consider a larger MH with all the convenience (excuse pun!) that comes with it. sorry if this upsets you.

Doesn't 'upset' me when people express their opinion. It doesn't oblige me to agree with them nor follow it. As I only got this one 36 hours ago, I'm not going to rush out and do anything quite so radical, though. Instead, as nobody offered any contradictory advice, I'm going to try one of the folding loos with the disposable bags and see how it goes. As I bought the van primarily for weekends away, rather than full weeks at a time, I think it's an ideal size for me, but only time and my experience will tell.

Jj

I have never seen one of these folding type and I cannot see that you could drive around with it partly used. If that is the case it could seriously hinder or limit your activities.:confused:
I still think that a small bucket type with a lid would be your better option.:)

The one I got is a gel-based system, so you remove the bag, with contents, that's now an odourless non-splashable gel and either put it in a normal bin or take it home with you in a rubbish bag. The whole package is then safe to biodegrade in the normal waste stream. The (clean) rigid bit with the seat folds up into a small area.

Ironically, I don't see how you can drive around with a partially full bucket without odour and splashing problems! And if you're wild camping, there is no guarantee of somewhere appropriate to empty a bucket. And even if you use the cat litter that somebody suggested, where do you dump the used cat litter? Is it safe to put untreated human waste in a normal bin?

Jj

If you only want to use it for a wee in the night try googling "female urinal". I use a specially shaped funnel and a screw-top bottle to save getting out of the tent at night. No leaks so far! (Sorry, can't remember the name of the firm.)

It really depends which Romahome model you have, Jj. :confused: We would all like to know what you finally decide to do though, :rolleyes: as there are other Romahome users about! :) There is a Romahome club :cool: here:-

http://romaclub.org.uk/Home.htm

and some of the other motorhome forums :eek: have Romahome sections, as in:-

http://smallmotorhome.proboards105.com/index.cgi?board=romahomes&action=display&thread=406

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/themes/Helius/images/logo.gif

The guy who owns this firm, Ant, is a dedicated ENTHUSIAST and is mentioned in some of the forums above, He will answer any questions you have if you e mail him! :D :D The site is:-

http://www.avonmotorcaravans.co.uk/mau.mhtml?count-num=184525

I hope that this is some help and you get sorted!! :cool: :D ;) JIM

Sorry for my last post. I started posting at 1200 made dinner then carried on! Never thought of checking to see if anybody else had posted! DOOOHHHHHH! Four of them!! Never mind the thought was there! JIM.

Never had a problem emptying the cassette.
When wilding I usually empty it in a public convenience
:D

Hi

We were actually talking about the perils of transporting and emptying partially filled bucket-type toilets, rather than cassette-type porta pottis.

Jj

I was answering this part of your post and not about the transportation:D

A-ha, but one can't empty at a public convenience without the transportation part, unfortunately, well, unless you park next to one which somewhat negates the need to use anything in the van in the first place....:rolleyes:

Jj

I am sure that if emptied daily the toilet would be no where near to overflowing and that the transportation part if a lid was fitted would not be a problem:rolleyes:
What a subject:D
Alternatively, if it is going to be a problem, you must then use campsites:)

Well, as I said earlier, I decided I'd try the folding gel-based systems and see how that works out, so no problem for me....

Jj

toilets and the uk

just going slightly off post for a moment....thetford recently had an ad for their cassette toilets showing people sitting on their product. allit showed was the knees down and the clothing around various ankles. this ad was published europe wide obviously in different languages, but the pictorial content the same. guess which country was the ONLY ONE to complain about it being offensive !? what does that say about us as a nation (discuss)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back