The new Thetford Indus toilet system

Fisherman

No matter your views on this half hour video it’s well worth the watch.
I reckon cassettes will eventually be history.
But others may disagree.

Saves lugging a cassette around, not entirely sure if I would want one in a small unit but for larger ones with more weight/ water capacity would be a consideration. Would want the teething troubles ironed out first though...potential for problems at several points.

There needs to be a move away from chemical treatments or at least have bio treatments for this to be a viable for me. I still think that separator wc's are the future for wild camping, vanlife and have no effect to environment.

That will be great for everyone else in the middle of the night...
AND more stuff to go wrong.

I am open minded about this.
I do think this system will improve as time goes on.
But it’s expensive to install and use, there’s more to go wrong.
The cassette system has its limitations, but it’s simple to use.
I would avoid this system for now, but possibly not in the future.
But I would recommend watching the video.

Last edited:
I've not been able to carry a cassette for nearly two years, and still don't know if I'll be able to in future, but I already have a system which empties and doesn't smell, or even need any intervention from me, she doesn't even moan about it anymore. ;)

It's definitely the future, but the future is a long way away!

This is no more than a beta version - if that.

Far too many unanswered questions - what happens when the chemicals run out - even they don't seem to know. And while it can't be emptied into a septic tank that rules out many, many sites.

I remember having to unblock a macerator on a narrow boat with a remote holding tank.

Not a pleasant task!

Lots of scope here for things to go wrong and for many users that would be a big problem.

I've not been able to carry a cassette for nearly two years, and still don't know if I'll be able to in future, but I already have a system which empties and doesn't smell, or even need any intervention from me, she doesn't even moan about it anymore. ;)
Why not use a fold up trolly as most of us do?

This kind of thing like it or not will be fitted to all motorhomes in the future as the three cartridges are patented by thetford they will make there money from sale of these so will give kick backs to MH manufacturers to fit this system tying the end user to the refills for life. very clever.

Reactions: REC
This kind of thing like it or not will be fitted to all motorhomes in the future as the three cartridges are patented by thetford they will make there money from sale of these so will give kick backs to MH manufacturers to fit this system tying the end user to the refills for life. very clever.
The maximum time currently for patents in the U.K. is 20 years.So after that period the system could be copied by others. But the chemicals may only be patented for 5.5 years depending on how they were made.

I think this will replace cassettes in the future, maybe not in my time though.

Last edited:
Watched the video and my thoughts are:

1) Projected costs - £30/Month for the chemicals. Ouch!
2) Can't empty into septic tanks - no you SHOULDN'T, but there is nothing to stop you doing so. Oh, I wonder what will actually happen in reality? And those drainage gulleys in car parts and on the roadside suddenly become a lot more useful :oops: well, saves the occasional need to visit a campsite for your ablutions :oops: :oops:
Wild Camping ... how do you know if any water drains go to a treatment plant?
Campsite - again, how do you know without asking? and imagine the response to the "is your grey waste drain connected to the mains sewage system? I want to empty my toilet contents down it" question. So people will just not ask, but use as if it were I would say"

I think using the Grey Waste to flush the Toilet makes a great deal of sense, but this Indus system is only (IMO) suitable for countries that are setup for RV (hint) designs/standards that have a Black Tank setup as the norm. For that, it would seem to be a much cleaner way.

If you had a way to empty the Black tank by set quantities into a container that you can take to an Elsan point, you would end up with a cleaner emptying process by the sound of it, plus where available & appropriate a full automatic emptying procedure, so that could be useful. Alongside that, a way to empty (full or partial) Grey Waste to allow you to use Septic tanks would be very useful.
I would say the above two things could be totally doable via a small re-write/update to their app that controls a flap solenoid that opens and shuts on command (the button Dutton presses probably activates an solenoid anyway?)

My end conclusion.... not suitable for responsible UK or European Motorhoming as it stands and at worst will allow and encourage poor and even irresponsible behaviour from users who either just don't know when not to empty, or just won't care.

It's a no from me.

Why not use a fold up trolly as most of us do?
Sssssh.
Although I'm not even meant to lift any sort of weight, and bending over/kneeling down without having something to grab hold of can be a challenge, saying that I've been swapping over a couple of wheels between car and trailer, three days now and counting, hopefully get it done by tomorrow, just don't tell gf or consultant. :)

This map might be of interest to those interested in the Thetford Indus system - or with a black tank system in their motorhome ....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back