The new series 8 Ducato

Fisherman

Well I am really surprised at the improvements to the new Ducato.
Anyone thinking of buying a new van might want to look at this.
I thought this would just be a minor change, more cosmetic than major.
But after watching this video, I have changed my mind.
I mean it parks itself, now there’s a thought. :)

Last edited:
A Fiat with even more electronics to go wrong! :eek:
I generally accept more electronics on my Japanese cars as they tend to be fairly reliable, but the Ducato is not renowned for the reliability of it's electrical systems. Whilst things like the electric parking brake might be a lot more convenient, how long before they pack up? Or am I just a 'stick in the mud'? 😜
One funny thing I did notice, at the start the new Fiat badge is pointed out, at the end the van has the old badge. :p

With the advent of surface mounted design (SMD) modern electronics is far more reliable than ever.
The Ducato has not been updated since 2006, and had a lot of catching up to do.
All of this technology has been used within the General Motors/ Chrysler group, and has been found to be very reliable.
Also much of what is installed is supplied to Mercedes, including the new steering wheel.
With the improvements offered by Ford recently in their Transit models, Fiat really had to get their finger out.
I reckon that this model is far better than what I am currently driving.

Last edited:
I agree that modern electronics should be more reliable, and many companies have shown this to be true, but don't underestimate Fiat's ability to mess it up, after all what could be more reliable than a electric cable, every vehicle has them and the integration within vehicles is well understood, and has been for over a hundred years, and yet Fiat manage to design a loom which can chaff through, and uses such poor quality cable that breaks in the middle of looms are often found.
That said (and touching wood), aside from designing the perfect mouse house my Ducato has been pretty reliable.

I agree that modern electronics should be more reliable, and many companies have shown this to be true, but don't underestimate Fiat's ability to mess it up, after all what could be more reliable than a electric cable, every vehicle has them and the integration within vehicles is well understood, and has been for over a hundred years, and yet Fiat manage to design a loom which can chaff through, and uses such poor quality cable that breaks in the middle of looms are often found.
That said (and touching wood), aside from designing the perfect mouse house my Ducato has been pretty reliable.
Sorry Colin but I have been driving Mercs for over 20 years and only ever had one issue with what is a consumable item the gas mass sensor.
Yet I have had several recalls for things such as poor earthing, brakes issues which led to fatalities, faulty airbags which also led to fatalities, and a fault in the cruise control, and other issues I can't remember. Before that I drove VWs, Citroen, and Ford cars, all of which gave me problems, and all of which had recalls for varying things.
But I would not hesitate to recommend Mercs to anyone.
Every car manufacturer has had similar issues, and Fiat are no different.
My knowledge of them may be limited, but in five years of driving two Ducatos I have had no recalls, and no mechanical issues.
But I do think that the current model lacks the quality, connectivity, and play things that I enjoy whilst driving my Merc.
Call me niave, but I just love plenty of toys in my cars.
And this model goes a long way to rectifying this Colin.

Last edited:

Fiat shows the all-new Ducato​

The new Fiat Ducato

The dashboard in the Fiat Ducato

Inside the new Fiat Ducato

Fiat has released the first details of the all-new Ducato, the most popular motorhome base vehicle across Europe.
It has already started taking orders, including in the UK, where prices start at £27,005 excluding VAT.
The Ducato is the flagship model of the Fiat Professional range and is used by the majority of motorhome manufacturers – and many campervan makers – as their base vehicle of choice, although it is receiving increasingly competition from Peugeot (Boxer) and Ford (Transit), especially in the UK.
With this all-new model and the recent arrival of the excellent new nine-speed automatic gearbox, Fiat looks set to retain its top spot in the motorhome world for some time to come.
This new model focusses on technology and connectivity, as well as enjoying a refreshed design and improvements to the interior.

A new all-digital configuration of the internal instruments, courtesy of Fiat’s Full Digital Cockpit that, it says, can immediately and clearly provide practical journey information and alerts – from the sat-nav to the driver-assistance systems right down to the options for reconfiguration and interaction with the UConnect infotainment system.
The new UConnect interfaces has screens up to 10”, a top-of-the-range full satellite navigation system including TomTom 3D maps and built-in wireless Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. These latter systems provide access to the most commonly used vehicle controls in just one tap. There are smaller UConnect 7” – also with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto – and UConnect 5” available also.
The interior design sees a redesigned dashboard and steering wheel, along with a new gear lever, new door panels and automatic air-conditioning controls.
There are also new driver assistance and safety systems, and the new Ducato is being marketed as the first light commercial vehicle with level 2 autonomous driving, offering a full range of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) both on the road and when parking.
There is also a new digital central mirror, which digitally improves and shows the rear view to replace the relevant mirror, plus the ESC system has Cross-Wind Assist, Trailer Stability Control and Active Park Assist, the latter a semi-autonomous assistant for parallel and perpendicular parking maneuvers.
Other additions, which will all probably be optional extras, include Keyless Entry and Go – to lock and unlock the cabin and load compartment doors and start the engine without the key; electric parking brake to reduce clutter in the cabin and facilitate relocations; a compartment to charge mobile phones wirelessly; double USB-A and USB-C ports; a high-voltage 230-V power socket; larger and more spacious door panels; heated windshield with internal electrical resistance for quick defrost and self-leveling air suspension.
The cab seats also get a new look as well as new padding and offer more space and comfort, while the new electric power steering, which is standard across the range, is more precise and manageable and benefits from a smaller steering wheel with a reduced turning circle.
There are also new versions of the Multijet diesel engines based on the new and exclusive H3 power architecture proprietary to Stellantis, which lower CO2 emissions by up to 7%.
The New Ducato engines, which are promised to be quieter than the outgoing versions, will be available in four levels of output: 120, 140, 160 and 180bhp with a new 6-speed manual transmission available across the range with that new 9Speed automatic transmission available in the 140 160 and 180bhp variants.
On the exterior, the front features the new Fiat badge in its center. Similarly, the grille, engine housing and skid plates have been redesigned to give, says Fiat, “an impression of stylistic uniformity in step with the times”.
But perhaps more importantly, the new Ducato now comes with high-performance full-LED lights, which are divided into three sections, with the lower one dedicated to the LED light guide, which develops the luminosity “signature” characteristic of the Ducato. The three central lights come with a sporty look and offer 30% more brightness than conventional halogen headlights. Finally, the upper section is dedicated to the direction indicators, the style of which has also been refreshed with an LED light guide with a slider switch, an effect much appreciated and used in cars and now available in a commercial vehicle.
Finally, a new colour – Lanzarote Grey – has been introduced as a color at lunch, which says Fiat has been introduced to emphasise the “adventurous spirit of the New Ducato and specifically dedicated to clients from the recreational sector”.
The new model will be available in three configurations: Easy, Business and Lounge, which can be customised further by adding additional packs with ADAS systems, improved functionality and aesthetics such as in the Trekking pack.
Last but not least, the New Ducato’s Uconnect system can be enhanced in many ways: Uconnect Services and the Fiat app will make it possible to manage and monitor your vehicle directly from smart devices, wherever and whenever you like.
Many services are available through the app, such as remote assistance, smart navigation, remote control, and much more. This means owners can interact with the vehicle even when away from it, to lock and unlock the doors, check its location and set up alerts on speed, area and time slots, as well as monitor fuel level, tyre pressures, odometer readings and receive of direct notifications on maintenance or repairs.
There are other appealing features such as Send&Go, Parking Search and Refueling Station, which mean once you have searched for your destination in the app, it can be sent to the sat-nav with just one tap, then you can view refueling stations and parking lots along the way. The maps are always kept up to date over-the-air, without having to visit a workshop.
It also feature My WiFi, with added WiFi Hotspot, to allow owners to connect up to eight devices and use the Amazon Alexa Voice Service. For alerts if theft is attempted and to receive assistance if the vehicle is stolen, the My Alert pack is available.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back