The ideal size of motorhome to wild camp

10para

Hi guys and dolls,
I've been fulltiming solo now for about 4 months, I've mainly stayed on caravan club sites, my question is this I have a superb carthago Chic 47i e line, i want to mainly do wild camping in and around Surrey and Wimbledon area (Wimbledon has become satuated now with full timers), everywhere I go or drive people stop and stare at my motorhome, it's 7.2 m long but rather high also, the only gripe I have is parking!
I'm having thoughts on selling it and getting a cusostealth job done by a company in order to blend in.
I don't want to be worrying about being hassled, what's your thoughts, has anyone been wildcamping in a similar size wagon if so what's your story?
Am I worrying for nothing

Hi guys and dolls,
I've been full timing solo now for about 4 months, I've mainly stayed on caravan club sites, my question is this I have a superb carthago Chic 47i e line, i want to mainly do wild camping in and around Surrey and Wimbledon area (Wimbledon has become saturated now with full timers), everywhere I go or drive people stop and stare at my motorhome, it's 7.2 m long but rather high also, the only gripe I have is parking!
I'm having thoughts on selling it and getting a cusostealth job done by a company in order to blend in.
I don't want to be worrying about being hassled, what's your thoughts, has anyone been wildcamping in a similar size wagon if so what's your story?
Am I worrying for nothing

Nothing to stop you parking as long as there are no signs and even then some don't bother. We had a 7.5m Swift and have stopped at various places. Caravan Club CL Sites are cheaper but you will need your facilities as a lot don't have any apart from a tap and waste. Some ( A Field ) are £4 a night. No Electric though.

Meet one guy full timing in a small van and he seemed to be living in his stuff. Not a lot of room.

Depends how much luxury you want and if you want to accommodate anyone else for the odd night. I would have thought full timing in a small space could get a bit frustrating unless you are very well organised.

You could always get someone to do a bit of camouflage painting for you on your present MH. Help you blend in ..

body_painting_brick.jpg

Last edited:
Pub stopovers can be good value,a pitch for a pint or meal.

Have spent since Nov last year wild camping in Sussex with our 8.3 mtrs Autotrail Chieftain. Father was in hospital so cheapest method of staying there. Never had any issues, though everyone says "I want to do that when I retire" and we do get some funny looks due to the size, but in my opinion the bigger the better for long term use. We had a LWB transit van conversion before, and after 8 or 9 nights it was time to go home, couldn't stand the lack of space any longer.

Have spent since Nov last year wild camping in Sussex with our 8.3 mtrs Autotrail Chieftain. Father was in hospital so cheapest method of staying there. Never had any issues, though everyone says "I want to do that when I retire" and we do get some funny looks due to the size, but in my opinion the bigger the better for long term use. We had a LWB transit van conversion before, and after 8 or 9 nights it was time to go home, couldn't stand the lack of space any longer.

think you would be pushing it a bit taking a transit into space.

I'm a little envious of you, as the Carthago is one of the manufactures that we have been looking at very closely as a replacement for our 7mtr Chausson. The other is Dethleffs, there is nothing else on the market in our opinion to touch either of them. However, in my experience of wild camping anything over 7mtr is going to be a struggle at times to even get to the WC spot in the first place, and secondly parking it when you do eventually get there. With planning and some trial and error then either of the above is of course possible in virtually any size MH, but I have been down some very narrow tracks in our MH, and once the mirrors disappear into the bushes it is very difficult to reverse out I can tell you! The ideal van size wise I'm sure would be a panel van conversion, and I would dearly love to think that we could manage with one of those, but when they cost nearly as much as the Carthago, and have a salon area hardly any bigger than the Carthago's bathroom, you soon come to your senses.

If your full timing a Carthago would be a great vehicle to stick with, you need some space if you live in it.

I should also have added, that with a panel van conversion where on earth are you going to put all your 'stuff'?

Our motorhome is curently 6.7 metres, I might go to 7 metres but draw the line at that. A coversion is attractive for obvious reasons but we dont want to compromise too much on comfort, ease and space.

Hi 10para any chance of some photos:)

I appreciate all your opinions guys, I absolutely love the layout of the carthago I have to say and theirs nothing really to fault, except she's to much of a head Turner not what I really want in order to be left alone without people making enquires as to who's it belongs to etc

The ideal size of motorhome to wild camp.

Hi 10para,

VW T4/T5 or similar, 2m high, standard wheel base size, pop top, best ground clearance you can get, syncro or 4 motion if you can. My experience, anything bigger /wider/ heavier and you can't get to the magical spots, anything smaller and your time is spent moving stuff around inside.

Best Rgrds with your quest.

Rob H.

Hi 10para,

VW T4/T5 or similar, 2m high, standard wheel base size, pop top, best ground clearance you can get, syncro or 4 motion if you can. My experience, anything bigger /wider/ heavier and you can't get to the magical spots, anything smaller and your time is spent moving stuff around inside.

Best Rgrds with your quest.

Rob H.
I stand to be corrected, but I fail to see how you could possibly full time in a T4/5, there is simply nowhere to put anything in a panel van conversion.

Since we retired our last 3 vans (Frankia A class, Adria low profile & now Rapido A class) are were 7.4 metres & we don't have a problem with wild camping. I wouldn't want to go any bigger though as it becomes more of a problem finding places. We are considering downsizing a bit this year as I approach 70 but that is more to do with the weight issue but I wouldn't want a motorhome much smaller than 6.5 metres. I don't however full time & don't think it would suit us, my personal view is that when you are full timing it then just becomes a way of life & for us it would lose some of its appeal. If we weren't tied with family & we were using the van more we wouldn't stay in this country much with the hassle of trying to find decent places to park, we would probably spend a lot more time in France & Germany which are easy for anybody to full time stress free.

10para seems I cannot access your photo's for some reason, maybe it is me not very tech savvy!!:rolleyes2: I have seen some lovely photo's on here that people have posted and know that there is no way we could get to some of them as we have an Elddis Autostratus and some of the places are for smaller vans. :cry:

Nothing to stop you parking as long as there are no signs and even then some don't bother. We had a 7.5m Swift and have stopped at various places. Caravan Club CL Sites are cheaper but you will need your facilities as a lot don't have any apart from a tap and waste. Some ( A Field ) are £4 a night. No Electric though.

Meet one guy full timing in a small van and he seemed to be living in his stuff. Not a lot of room.

Depends how much luxury you want and if you want to accommodate anyone else for the odd night. I would have thought full timing in a small space could get a bit frustrating unless you are very well organised.

You could always get someone to do a bit of camouflage painting for you on your present MH. Help you blend in ..

View attachment 29320

We have a 7.25m low profile and fitting into parking bays is a problem. Many fellow-wilders seem to be around that size though.

We stepped up from a Tribute van conversion which had its limitations for the two of us with a disability, but the transverse bed type accommodated a mobility scooter and I put a spare wheel under the bed too. Build quality wasn't fantastic on the Ducato base, mainly problems with water. Our Chausson is also part of Trigano Group and a real gem. I see there is/was a Chausson van conversion.

In many respects, we would have continued with this LWB parcels van type had it not been for disability and getting near retirement. Certainly a lot easier to park and, we felt, better suited for younger, fitter couples. As a singleton, I'd have thought the choice of layouts would have been ideal.

I'm more or less fulltiming in a LWB high roof self converted (sort of) transit with 2 dogs and a cat. I have a house but can't afford to live in it and can't sell it due to negative equity so stuck till house prices pick up (am up north so the recent price rises are much slower to reach us up here). I tend to pop home maybe one night every couple of weeks to do laundry, have a bath, pick up post etc but don't even sleep in the house anymore, I sleep in the van outside it.

Yes, storage space is an issue in my van, especially as

1. I'm a woman and so probably want and have more clothes than a man, and need a range of clothes for different activities, eg dog walking, hill walking, every day, something smarter for events, and party/going out clothes etc
2. I'm a hoarder and attach sentimental value to things and find it hard to part with things even if they don't actually serve a specific purpose
3. I have quite a lot of craft materials and equipment for making things to sell
4. I have quite a big dog cage for my 2 dogs for when travelling and when they are wet and dirty (why I went down the self build route)

However, every time I go home I leave a box of stuff there of things which I've realised I don't need or don't use. I'm pretty good at making best use of space, using all nooks and crannies but you need to be organised to do this (army training is a good way of learning to do this, I see from your name that applies to you). I have a lot of things hanging from shelves etc, maybe not everyones cup of tea if you like the minimalist look, but good way of using otherwise wasted space. And am always on the look out at car boot sales, charity shops for things which can be repurposed to suit a specific need in the van or which can be adapted to create more storage - think laterally!

I have a roof rack but getting things up and down there on my own can be tricky so I don't use it much but it's good for strapping a basha to with bungees to make a temp awning in bad weather - not really suitable for one night wilding, but good for when parked up for a few nights or more where you can get away with it so this means things like wet boots, water containers, bags of rubbish etc can be stored outside (Obviously not in urban areas, but I tend to stay in remote places as I'm not tied to a regular place of work or regular hours). I'm also intending getting a tow bar fitted for my small trailer so my craft stuff can go in there and it can be padlocked to something secure or wheel clamped so I don't have to permanently have it attached.

The length of my van plus the rear step (I have a ladder on back door) means that I overhang a supermarket parking space by about a foot but all my wheels are within the bay. This means that although sometimes I may have to walk further to certain shops, I can be sure of finding parking spaces in most towns fairly easily, and can also just about fit into council roadside parking bays without the risk of being ticketed for being outside the parking space.

The longest I've lived in my van in one go without going back to my house was 5 months last year and it was ok but I had to be very organised, keep tidy and allow extra time to do even simple things like getting washed and dressed (accessing clothes in a box under the bed takes a few minutes to lift up bed, have a rummage round, then put everything back again), and washing up (my sink is underneath my bedside table so in order to wash up, I have to make sure that the bed is made so that I can lift the lid of the sink off, and put on my bed whilst washing up, and need to dry up and put away instead of leaving things to drip dry, because my drainer is on a hinged shelf which needs to be packed away when travelling). So it's not impossible, nor even that difficult once you've got into a regular routine.

As I'm travelling solo 99% of the time (except for the animals) I don't really need the passenger seats so they get used for storage as does the passenger foot well. My violin case stands up on one seat with seat belt to hold it in position, a plastic storage bin for dog food is in passenger foot well, and my bag of dirty laundry is on passenger seat - I know when I need to do my washing as the bag is so full I can't see the left hand wing mirror!

I don't have windows in the side, only a roof light, so I have shelving for storage along the full length of the sides, one shelf was already fitted at head height courtesy of Network Rail, the other side I've adapted a wooden frame which had been added by the previous owner who was a window fitter and had built the frame to stand the windows against. I added shelving inside the frame and have loads of storage. My bed is only a single bunk but is transverse, with my feet going into the wooden frame - luckily I'm only 5'3 so can fit no problems. I presently store my craft stuff behind a curtain between my bed and the rear doors, this isn't ideal and I'm looking at other options. I also have a small hanging wardrobe area there but most of my clothes are in an old recycled bread tray under my bunk. Under my sink is water storage and calor gas bottle. I've even managed to fit in a loo - an old 20L plastic paint pot with tight fitting lid hidden inside a laundry chest with lift up lid from a car boot sale. No one can tell by looking that it's actually a loo and it doubles up as a seat for visitors :)

It's not really a van for entertaining guests in and there's only really my bed for sitting on although I do have a folding stool so I could at a pinch have 2 visitors inside my van.

It really depends on your job and how much free time you have and whether you need storage for kit, equipment, office clothes etc, and whether you want a fixed bed, fixed table, and to be able to invite people in for meals etc. Personally I'd rather be more cramped (although I prefer to call it cosy) and less stressed about parking, I can pretty much park anywhere but especially in Greater London area, I would suggest a smaller vehicle would be much easier to park, and less chance of getting parking tickets for being outside the marked bay in a bigger vehicle. I've considered removing my rear step but it means that even if someone parks right up close to the back end, I can still open the back doors if I need to, although I rarely do, I just use the side sliding door.

The first one we had was a transit MH had a bathroom only trouble was we had to put the bed down every night and when it was down there was no room which was no good for me OH goes to bed much earlier than me as I have trouble sleeping so we sold that and bought a Talbot still had to put bed up but with a bit more room still no good for me as I had to sit on the bed to watch tv and no good as I have a really bad back and neck so we sold that and bought the one we have now which is a Eldiss Autostratus as we said we would get a one with a fixed bed spot and guess what I cant sleep up in it OH can :mad2: But the layout of the van is where we have a sitting area at the back and we can put the table down and still have room to move and I don't have to go to bed if I cant sleep and I don't disturb OH so for us it is a win-win situation. We were on a camp site when we got talking to a couple and when they showed us their MH there in the middle of the van was a Porta potty:scared: So hopefully later this year we can go to Scotland we are going away in 3 weeks time on a site Park-Resorts 3 nights £22 with EHU I have my WC sticker on the windscreen so will look out for some more on my way :wave:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back