The Chicken or the Egg

Geoff.W

Have been browsing through the wonderfull pics in the "wild in France" thread and seeing the exellent facilities provided not only in France but elsewhere in europe, it set me thinking (dangerous pastime I know), but how did they come about.

Is there anyone out there who does know the history and development of aires.

The reason for the title is, were the aires set up and thereby attracted the motorhomes or, did motorhomes start using carparks, stopping places etc. there worth was realised by the locals and facilities were provided to ensure they kept coming.

If the second senario is the correct one, it may just provide some ideas to launch an additional form of attack in the quest to develop aires in the UK.

Sort of thing I had in mind was:- Locate and select suitable sites, organise several meets, together with leaflets directed at local businesses and approaches to local tourist associations. I am sure that these ideas can and will be vastly improved and expanded upon by those much more able than I.

No doubt these things have been mentioned before, and I do realise that it would need action by many, many times more people than are active on this forum. there are undoubtedly many more problems I have not even dreamt of, but as I said, I am only thinking, and that is a very dangerous thing to do.

in reply

I know that in germany most of the sites have been started by the local tourist offices to get more people into the area, They make use for the greater part on on areas that are there. ie large carparks mainly I have found near sports centres. On speaking to the people who run these sites they state that they are not there to make money, just as a way to get people to come to the areas, they alos state that even at 3 euros a night that the french will get up and leave before the man comes round for the money, the italians are 2nd and the brits 3rd. Germans pay all the time.
Here as we know there is nothing like it, camp sites are very expensive and office not a lot for the money, and we as a country just want people to pay a lot for less and less. I have said many times that if I could only motorhome within the UK i would stop as its a total waste of money when one takes into account the cost of the motorhome etc, Lucky I can motorhome within europe and its by far better value for money. anyway thats my view on things in germany. terry

Well put over Geoff. I totally agree with you, also on the leaflets you could add some snaps of the French aires from this forum to show them what they are missing out on.
Where I live in South Shields has only two caravan sites , that are not up to much but we also have a beautiful coastline with lots of potential areas that could be used as aires,but to be honest, I did'nt know what an aire was till I joined this site and I've been camping for years.

Maybe our local councils are as ignorant as I was.

P.S. If I could get them to give it a try, I would invite you all up hear for the weekend, cos I know you'll love the place and the drinks would be on me.

P.P.S. I must admit, I hav'nt yet taken any action on Graham Hadfields advice, to lobby local authorities, but I will now:cool:

Regards.. Lenny

Last edited:
Aires in Germany

I agree with Terry, Germany is slowly getting the idea of having Stellplatz (Aires in the towns and cities) If ever one of you guys are around the Hamburg area or heading in the direction of Denmark, you are now able to stop off at a Stellplatz in KALTENKIRCHEN. How to get there: After driving through the ELB tunnel, towards HH (Hamburg) follow the the signs for BAB 7 (BAB means Bundesautobahn) for FLENSBURG. Keep to the middle lane as you will have to branch off BAB 7 for Flensburg, keep going till you see the sign for KALTENKIRCHEN. Turn off here up the slip road to the traffic lights. Turn left at the lights towards Kaltenkirchen, then take the first right at the next set of lights, follow the road which goes under a bridge, a few hundred metres up the road you will see a sign of a motor home, there is a narrow entrance which leads you into the camping area. You should be able to see the tops of other MH's above the hedges. Park up any where you like. First come first served. There is a notice also in English. Camping is free and waste bins are supplied. Unfortunately no electric. Disposal of grey and fresh water: Come out of the Camp area, turn right, then take the first right a few metres up the road, about 200 metres down the road on your right is disposal and fresh water facilities. A great place for taking a break and for kids, because right opposite the Site is the Recreational center, Warm water swimming pool, indoor and outdoor, wave pools and gyms and plenty of greenary to lie in the sun and get a tan.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back