the black death

peppers

not a disease but a problem with mercedes common rail diesels.if you do a google search, this problem is highlighted there .i have seen a few engines aflicted and it is quite horrendos to repair.if you have a mercedes remove the plastic cover and inspect the injectors at least once a year . i have seen at least three engines that look like they have had a bucket of bitumin poured over them.;google mercedes black death; you wont believe what you see

We used to run a Merc and never had this problem, I put Cataclean in the diesel tank every 6months or so, to keep the engine/injectors nice and clean.
1x bottle to 15 ltrs of diesel in the tank, helps reduce exhaust emissions and cleans the catalytic converter, fuel system etc.(works on Diesel and Petrol engines).
A test on my brothers 4x4 saw a 55% reduction in emissions, maybe this will help with this problem?

Happy Camping:)

sorry no the problem is caused by bad sealing on the injectors ,so if you hear i slight chuffing noise dont ignore it

I'd be asking Merc to cough up a few quid towards fixing something that is so obviously a design fault. I'd bet they changed the copper washer compound or thickness to save 0.00001 of a Euro on production costs - and now it comes back to bite the owners.

the problem is caused by the bolts being too small that hold the injectors in , they are so weak that they bend and allow the gases to escape
as has already been said DON'T IGNORE A CHUFFING

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back