The Best way to get onto Skye.

When we went 20 years ago the ferry wasn't running due to it being New Year, they weren't collecting tolls on the bridge either.

We are heading over to Skye later in the week, and fancy the ferry.
do you have to book, or just turn up and wait?

Definitely worth boycotting the bridge and getting the ferry🫶
Cale, while saving files/images from my work pc before retiring, I came across some images Mainland Kyle over to Kyleakin, no bridge build then, just a big open space of water.

Cale, while saving files/images from my work pc before retiring, I came across some images Mainland Kyle over to Kyleakin, no bridge build then, just a big open space of water.
Worst thing that happened. Lost its island feel now and it’s feckin hoachin wi tourists🤦🏻‍♂️
True Skeachs (Skye Natives born and bred) preferred life before the bridge.

The benefit of the bridge was you could get back home for a kip without getting wet or relying on the Liam sobering up enough to drop us back by boat. When the bridge first opened we had walked over from Kyle and were in Saucy Mary's to greet the new batch of haggis backpackers that had been brought upto the youth hostel, it was light heading over and it was light heading back. 😀

Worst thing that happened. Lost its island feel now and it’s feckin hoachin wi tourists🤦🏻‍♂️
True Skeachs (Skye Natives born and bred) preferred life before the bridge.
Cale, the bridge build was always political hot tattie, PPI build, and when complete, the cost to cross for everyone, was no cheaper than the ferry cost @ approx 12£ return trip, crazy!
When the abolition of tolls in Scotland came in place, the then S cotGov bought out the bridge consortium contract, no more unfair tolls to and from Isle of Skye.
Google Scottish film archives, there are some cracking archive footage of the locals demonstrating against the unfair toll charge.

It is the very best way to get there and a wonderful journey on the old road to the ferry, good to time it for when the tide is changing then you see them working hard to control the ferry, the best view of it is from the Skye side looking down, you then see the power of the water acting on the ferry.

Another wonderful road is the one down to Elgol, and there is a boat trip to a loch in the Cuillins too.

Cale, the bridge build was always political hot tattie, PPI build, and when complete, the cost to cross for everyone, was no cheaper than the ferry cost @ approx 12£ return trip, crazy!
When the abolition of tolls in Scotland came in place, the then S cotGov bought out the bridge consortium contract, no more unfair tolls to and from Isle of Skye.
Google Scottish film archives, there are some cracking archive footage of the locals demonstrating against the unfair toll charge.
There was a program about it on BBC Scotland. Very passionate people.

I remember the Feral Goats up near the 5 Sisters of Kintail Kev.

There was talk of a cull. Hope it never happened, they've been there thousands of years.

I remember the Feral Goats up near the 5 Sisters of Kintail Kev.

There was talk of a cull. Hope it never happened, they've been there thousands of years.
Feral Goats near here are a pest. Eat anything and everything and stand about on the road causing accidents. See them at the side of the road around Loch Lubnaig, grazing away as cars pass at over 60mph.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back