That's it then

Well done Gordon, sure that you won’t regret it. When I quit effectively 18 hour days starting at 3am I just couldn’t believe how I used to do it. Your real life begins here, and you deserve it.
I thought by law you are only allowed to work 48 hrs max a week, no one here works over 38 and maybe a we touch of over time.

Enjoy your retirement Gordon, I have retired twice already, and now cannae wait for lockdown to finish so I can start back again. Have to say that I dinnae put in the hours that you did.

congratulations gordon now all you’ve got to do is persuade fiona to give up good luck with that jan was a nurse as well

I thought by law you are only allowed to work 48 hrs max a week, no one here works over 38 and maybe a we touch of over time.

Contracted to do so by law maybe. Reality is somewhat different depending on how much you enjoy being employed/unemployed.
Far cheaper to pay overtime than employ the people needed with all that entails.

Last edited:
Cheers roger ,I have resigned as they thought I was joking,fed up with long hours etc ,having a bit time off but will be doing some work throughout the year possibly for my daughters work she has ,but not retired as yet fully .just need the break roger and it's like a weight of my shoulders on the way home tonight
Well done Gordon. I can relate as I did pretty much the same thing 21 years ago (twenty one, oh my how time flies).

I hope that you have thought it through better than I did BUT even if you haven't I'm sure you'll not regret it, we haven't.

I was working silly hours in a pretty high pressure job and one last dissagreement with my new boss was the last straw so I just resigned. I hadn't given any thought to what would happen next. Big mortgage, no income - good move. NOT! I did a bit of consultancy work which paid very well when I had it but didn't pay at all when I hadn't.

Something had to give.

We sold up and moved to Westray, bought a house here outright with the equity from our house in the Midlands, lived off savings for a bit then drew my pension early, and started doing websites for local people. I've been working at home part time, very casual part time I might say, ever since. I've been doing less and less over the past few years and I'm closing shop completely this year as I start to draw my state pension from next week (wee hee!).

I enjoyed the job I had until the new chap arrived and do occassionally think back to what might have been if he hadn't arrived but then I pinch myself and thank the day that he came.

This was without any doubt the best move we have ever made. We live on a beautiful quiet island, get away whenever we want (current restrictions aside), do whatever we want. This realy is the best time of our lives.

So sorry for hijacking your thread but I just wanted to say it worked for us and I hope it works for you. Many happy days ahead.

Kindest Regards

Phill

Well done Gordon. I can relate as I did pretty much the same thing 21 years ago (twenty one, oh my how time flies).

I hope that you have thought it through better than I did BUT even if you haven't I'm sure you'll not regret it, we haven't.

I was working silly hours in a pretty high pressure job and one last dissagreement with my new boss was the last straw so I just resigned. I hadn't given any thought to what would happen next. Big mortgage, no income - good move. NOT! I did a bit of consultancy work which paid very well when I had it but didn't pay at all when I hadn't.

Something had to give.

We sold up and moved to Westray, bought a house here outright with the equity from our house in the Midlands, lived off savings for a bit then drew my pension early, and started doing websites for local people. I've been working at home part time, very casual part time I might say, ever since. I've been doing less and less over the past few years and I'm closing shop completely this year as I start to draw my state pension from next week (wee hee!).

I enjoyed the job I had until the new chap arrived and do occassionally think back to what might have been if he hadn't arrived but then I pinch myself and thank the day that he came.

This was without any doubt the best move we have ever made. We live on a beautiful quiet island, get away whenever we want (current restrictions aside), do whatever we want. This realy is the best time of our lives.

So sorry for hijacking your thread but I just wanted to say it worked for us and I hope it works for you. Many happy days ahead.

Kindest Regards

Phill
Love your story and many thanks

You wagon drivers canny stop. My dad was still up and doon the road at 68. My mother had to force him to retire and then he drove taxis for another 10 year. Now he does his and his neighbours gardens.
Ditto. 71 in my case. Still up for a drive, although in Demi these days. Similar situation to linkhouse, one row to many.
Now I wonder how I fitted the time to go to work into my busy day.
Enjoy your Eternity Leave.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back