Thatcham Cat1

Elfit

Hi
I have a self build (still in progress) Ducato. It's a new 21 plate and has a factory fitted Thatcham cat 2 security system. I insured with AIB who say they require Cat 1.
So I have a couple of questions.

1/ Is cat 1 a standard requirement? I was looking at Autowatch Ghost II as it seems to be a good system that doesn't require carrying additional fobs/ cards etc. However this is not a cat 1 system.
2/ What's a good way of upgrading to cat 1 if this is the way I have to go.

Many thanks
Tim

Hi
I have a self build (still in progress) Ducato. It's a new 21 plate and has a factory fitted Thatcham cat 2 security system. I insured with AIB who say they require Cat 1.
So I have a couple of questions. Is cat 1 a standard requirement?
Did you try other insurers I know some do some don't insist on alarms

When you get that sorted then build a pedal lock to be sure, plus a chain round the s wheel to the pedal lock. p lock d.jpgp lock c.jpgp lock b.jpgp lock a.jpg

Did you try other insurers
No I didn't. I bought the van and insured it without fully understanding the consequences of the type of security. Now that's coming back to haunt me. The dilemma is upgrade to cat 1 or find alternative insurance and boost security in other ways.
My vans in the past have been cheap and thrown together and this wasn't an issue. This one will be the bees knees and I need decent cover.

My insurance company insisted I had a tracker fitted, had to be of a certain category and monitored 24/7 as the vehicle was over a certain value. I also had an alarm fitted but this wasn’t a requirement probably due to the fact most people ignore them and they don’t assist in the recovery of a stolen vehicle whereas a tracker does.

Thanks all for your help and advice.
I'll go for a cat 1 system and also look into pedal box.
Are there any recommendations for a system and installer in NE England?
I don't want to faff on with too many fobs/ cards etc as in the end they'll all wind up on the key ring which rather defeats the object.

I am with AIB, vehicle is not alarmed. Maybe it's a requirement over a certain value 🤷‍♂️

Thanks all for your help and advice.
I'll go for a cat 1 system and also look into pedal box.
Are there any recommendations for a system and installer in NE England?
I don't want to faff on with too many fobs/ cards etc as in the end they'll all wind up on the key ring which rather defeats the object.
I used this company. https://phantom.uk.net/collections/alarms/products/sentinel
They were on an approved list from my insurance company. Installation done at my home, Great customer service and I get a call from them within a minute of opening the motorhome garage without turning the alarm off Lol, something I do regularly.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back