telly

Slim

I have been persuaded to get a telivision for our van, do I go for 12volt or mains telly and inverter? I only use 1 leasure battery at the moment will I need 2?, I don.t have an inverter so what size should I buy:confused:.Good God this is sounding more and more expensive as I type:eek::eek::eek:

12v telly

you will need a voltage regulator for you 12v telly cause your 12v telly won't be 12v and you battery can give from 11 to 14v . all lcd tv's are 12v check the black box that you plug in to the back of the tv.

not all lcd tellys are 12v some have the transformer built in ,however i have just purchased a bush 19 inch unit with built in dvd freeview hdmi and 12v for 149 quid from morrisons.my old lcd not digital works perfectly on 12v without a regulator with or without the engine running .as for an inverter i would favour a second or more battery connected in paralell any time i have 3 2@110 and 1 85 ah never had a problem and never plugged in to site power ,mind you we are 100% wild

Telly

Please don't use your new tv/dvd player with the engine running as you will be putting excess of 14 volts through it ,i think this has been covered in threads before,Andy.

We have a 240volt 15"lcd with built in dvd, 2- 85 amp batteries and a 800watt inverter, and we dont use hook up if we are away only for a week-end. I brought the 800 watt inverter from Macro for £43 couple of years ago.

John.

TV

I say forget the TV. your away to relax and there is very little of quality to watch anyway. If you have a laptop you could use that!

Jon

Telly

We use 2 inverters, as we usually take our PVR with us having recorded a few films etc, (cheaper than buying DVD's) we use a small 300 watt Silverline inverter straight from the dash cig lighter socket for a 19" TV, and a unknown brand 200 watt one hard wired to just one 110 ah leisure battery for the PVR, no probs, we do sometimes take a 21" TV/DVD also no probs.

We are thinking of getting a couple of extra 110 ah batteries as we have a garage on our newer camper, so have space to spare, just waiting for the yellow thing in the sky to appear for longer, as it would involve moving the original from under the drivers seat and re-locating all the cables etc.

Both our inverters were below £25.00 each, so not an expensive way to go, we've never gone on sites, although this is our first winter, we might just have to, as we've only wild camped from Kendal northwards up to Skye, easter to October, as we rarely stay more than one night in the same place, the battery gets a top up every day, this van came with a very quiet Honda genny as part of the deal, so if we were out of the way, we could always fire that up to provide a charge or use the power.

Hope that was some help.

Kev

I say forget the TV. your away to relax and there is very little of quality to watch anyway. If you have a laptop you could use that!

Jon

the telly is for my other half, I,m a radio 4 sort of bloke myself,I cant stand soaps of any kind /property shows/i,m a celeb stop me from dancing in the jungle type crap/and cooking programs. I do watch the odd wildlife program but I prefer to go to the allotment or play with old motorbikes in the workshop when i,m not camping that is.Just in case I start a slanging match :D:D this is my preference, and each to thier own. One mans meat and all that.....Slim

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back