Teleplus arial

Topmast

Hi everyone.
I realize most folk will think this strange but I have not had a t.v for the last thirty years,in the last six months I changed my van and it came with a t.v complete with a Teleplus arial ,just recently I have been trying to make sense of it ,have got set working but all the screen says is no signal obviously I have raised the pole fully and tried rotating it to different positions but to no avail ,the cable is plugged into the side of t.v. So my question are these arial any good and what may I be doing wrong.

It may not be a digital tv, and if it is you must retune the tv to wherever you are, also transmitters put the signal out fertical or horizontal, this wont mater on a pole antenna but crutial on a beem type.

You could also have a booster fitted in one of the cupboards that needs turning on
This is just what I was going to suggest :) I had the aerial in one cupboard and the power switch to the booster next to it was in another. Spent over an hour once "troubleshooting" until the reason for no signal clicked 🫣🤭🙄

Yes i have a booster, forgot that, old age creeping in. 😂
Also have a home made voltage buck to keep the tv working when the battery voltage drops, sound dies below 12.4v, this keeps it at 14.3v
voltage buck.png

Thank everyone for your replies. Yes it appears to have a booster which is plugged in and turned on. ( only found it under wardrobe floor ) now please in very simple language how do I tune it. Sorry to be so thick but I like to repair things when I can see how they work and electronics baffle me.

Thank everyone for your replies. Yes it appears to have a booster which is plugged in and turned on. ( only found it under wardrobe floor ) now please in very simple language how do I tune it. Sorry to be so thick but I like to repair things when I can see how they work and electronics baffle me.

What make/model of TV?

You should have a remote control with it. If you do, look for either a 'tune' button or a 'Menu' button. Hopefully if there is a 'menu' button it should be self explanatory from there.

If there is a 'menu' button, choose the 'Autotune' option and it should find loads of stations. This can take several minutes.

Here's an example of retuning some TV's. Some makes will be slightly different.

I am assuming the TV has 'Freeview'?

If you can see any houses with TV aerials, point yours in the same direction and see if these aerials are flat or turned 90 degrees to the horizontal. Maybe you can get an app to tell you the best direction to point it.

Great news about finding the booster!
If it’s an avtec tv the tuning button will be red and either have AFT auto fine tune, of AQT auto quick tune .
By the way is this you preparing us for a joke :

How many forum members does it take to tune a TV 😀

Just a couple of points.
You must have a decent signal at the TV BEFORE it will tune successfully.
You may have a signal strength indicator on your signal booster ( the vision plus VP4 has one) so you can use this to point the aerial in the optimum direction.
Congratulations on not having a TV before by the way, I'm sure you're already wondering if it's actually worth the faffing about anyway 😁

Great news about finding the booster!
If it’s an avtec tv the tuning button will be red and either have AFT auto fine tune, of AQT auto quick tune .
By the way is this you preparing us for a joke :

How many forum members does it take to tune a TV 😀
5 to give you 6 different ways

And another 10 to ask why are you watching TV as you should be outside enjoying the countryside when away. (have they looked out the window recently??? )

Just a couple of points.
You must have a decent signal at the TV BEFORE it will tune successfully.
You may have a signal strength indicator on your signal booster ( the vision plus VP4 has one) so you can use this to point the aerial in the optimum direction.
Congratulations on not having a TV before by the way, I'm sure you're already wondering if it's actually worth the faffing about anyway 😁
I swapped out my original booster for the better model with the signal strength indicator specifically so I could get the directional area pointing in the right general direction before trying to tune in the TV.
If you are not sure where to point the aerial to start with, tuning a TV can be a rather frustrating activity.

Also, there are a few Apps available for a smartphone that you can install which will tell you where the nearest suitable transmitter is and where to point your aerial. These can be handy if you don't have any signal strength indications. I did have one installed that was recommended to me, but can't recall what it was called (useful, huh!). I found using the light on the booster much easier so never used the app in the end :)

(PS. For some reason, the makers of the Vision Plus decided on the upgraded booster with signal strength indicator to also change all the connectors from Coax to "F" connectors (like you see with Satellite systems) so you will need adapters for that as well))

If anyone isn’t happy with whatever aerial they have on their van I can recommend the Avtex STH3000. I tried a few different types including two different wind up and turn types but they were all found wanting. The Avtex just works for me.

If anyone isn’t happy with whatever aerial they have on their van I can recommend the Avtex STH3000. I tried a few different types including two different wind up and turn types but they were all found wanting. The Avtex just works for me.

Have to agree with you Neil, works in most situations as long as you know which way to align it.

5 to give you 6 different ways

And another 10 to ask why are you watching TV as you should be outside enjoying the countryside when away. (have they looked out the window recently??? )

I swapped out my original booster for the better model with the signal strength indicator specifically so I could get the directional area pointing in the right general direction before trying to tune in the TV.
If you are not sure where to point the aerial to start with, tuning a TV can be a rather frustrating activity.

Also, there are a few Apps available for a smartphone that you can install which will tell you where the nearest suitable transmitter is and where to point your aerial. These can be handy if you don't have any signal strength indications. I did have one installed that was recommended to me, but can't recall what it was called (useful, huh!). I found using the light on the booster much easier so never used the app in the end :)

(PS. For some reason, the makers of the Vision Plus decided on the upgraded booster with signal strength indicator to also change all the connectors from Coax to "F" connectors (like you see with Satellite systems) so you will need adapters for that as well))
Same here ....I swapped the original vision plus amplified BUT not lift up
For a latter version with improved amplifier and signal indicator AND 1m lift up mounting pole (operated from inside the wardrobe) ...

Bonus being it also allowed the mobile router Xpol antenna to get a 1m lift too when deployed .

Now have tv AND Internet in areas we didn't before ...

For those that chirp on about having tv/Internet etc when away ...
When it's dark outside (a large percentage in winter when we're away )
I enjoy some tv/film/Internet whilst away ...
Don't like the idea,of that ....cool stick to your cards/dominoes sitting around your candle heater or whittling cutlery from sticks you've found .

I remember selling a as new antenna on ebay to england, daft t-at said tv no working as faulty arial i sent and got his money back, sod did not know he had an old flat screen which was not abble to pick up the new digital service, e did email and i explained but all fell on doppy deaf ears. :(

Thank you one and all.The t.v. Is a NEUIR and it does have a remote the only button that looks like it may help is marked source! The only reason for even trying to get it to work is the very long dark evenings when stuck in the van ,I can only take the dog for so many walks and it’s to dark to use my bike. And after a couple of hours reading my eyes get tired.
I will try to get a signal in the next few days but will have to wait until I have fitted the replacement starter I can then move the van from beside the high wall that may prevent me getting a signal. Thanks again everyone for your help and suggestions.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back