Tapping in to the Deep pool of Knowledge!

As above the solar panels on ours (2 X 100w biard feeding 3 x 110ah leisure batteries) with leisure batteries connect to starter through a Durite voltage sensing auto relay
will charge the leisure batteries when the engine is running BUT the Durite relay also kicks in when the solar is, working and the leisure batteries are charged to top up the starter....

Yes your not going to be able to power the world BUT at least all the batteries will be kept topped up as much as possible and hopefully maintained in the best possible condition to prolong their life?

Charlie installed three 175watt panels.

View attachment 47673

The brackets are 100mm x 50mm x 3mm aluminium angle. 12 of these cut to size cost £23 from the Aluminium Warehouse. These are used panels and are only £65 each from Bimble Solar.

I have also fitted one on Hippy's van and two on my trailer.

Thanks for All the Useful info Phil, it's mainly for use in Spain over the winter, I have noticed that the present Panel just isn't inputting enough here in Southern France during 6 hours of clear Sun!
I have previously used 1'' alley box section held on with Sicaflex 512, will not budge after 2 years, to mount the panel.

So, if my plan is a 5:2* ratio (at least that is the plan) then good batteries, that can be fully recharged on EHU, with 300 watts of solar for when the sun is shining, seems like the start of a plan, subject to education :)

*nights wild 5:2 nights site

Hi. Being 'unschooled' in lectric things I had never heard of these battery to battery chargers. Why and how are they different from the charger I already have in my Rapido? Also if I fit one does it replace my charger or is it an addition?

The way I have mine set up is, my Batt 2 Batt charger it is separate from my van charger/control unit, and it charges up 4x 110amp batteries which run a 1.6KW inverter which runs our microwave, sky, tv, hair dryer and straighteners (not mine LOL), toaster, laptop, and charges tablet phones ect, but can also be switched over to boost the vans leisure or engine battery. Sterling do different output Batt 2 batt chargers depending your requirements and different inverters, if you want one. Your alternator, once it sees your engine battery is charged, which it usually is anyway, it drops the charging rate to a lower level which means your leisure battery takes forever to charge back up, what the Batt 2 batt charger does is boost this up to a higher level, 30 60 or 120amp, compared to your alternator which can be as low as 5/10 amps.

Hers an explanation Campervan wildside practical application - YouTube

and some other youtube videos about the same SterlingPowerLtd - YouTube

Hi. Being 'unschooled' in lectric things I had never heard of these battery to battery chargers. Why and how are they different from the charger I already have in my Rapido? Also if I fit one does it replace my charger or is it an addition?

I should add, the charger in your van only works when your on EHU, when wilding/offgrid your depending on your alternator, so it is an addition.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back