Talbot Express leak-off rail needed

mildred

Evening all!

Plans for getting away in the immediate future have been dashed with the MOT failure of our 1991 (though a lot of parts are stamped 1990) Talbot
Express 1000 D with a 2499 cc non-turbo diesel.

The problem is:

"Fuel system component leaking (7.2.1a)"

the component being the plastic injector leak-off rail which has cracked and is allowing diesel to spurt over the engine.

Sevel say that the part is no longer available and that they are unaware of there being any in the country.

Delfin aren't answering their phone ...

I believe that the engine is the same as that used in a Peugeot J5 and the Citroen 25 vans - can anybody here absolutely confirm that?

Does anybody have any suggestions as to where this component might be sourced? I don't really want to buy a whole engine from eBay!

Whilst I'm not suggesting any kind of "bodge" where fuel is concerned - might it be possible to have a functionally equivalent thing assembled from parts usually fitted to other vehicles? Any experience or guidance gratefully received.

We've asked over in preloved as well - but no feedback as yet.

Hoping that the accumulated wisdom here might help us out ...

Thanks

M

Hi,

Don't know the actual part you are refering to but super glue can work wonders, clean it off well with petrol to get rid of any diesel and clamp it with mole grips whilst it glues.

Hope this helps, ok its a bodge but it should get you through the MOT, tape it up after the test just to make sure it does not spray over engine should it leak again.

Peter

Hi, I too have a 1991 Talbot Express with the 2.5D non turbo in it. I know that the Peugeot J5, Citroen c25, and the mark one Fiat Ducato all used the same engine, all built by Sevel. There are a lot more C25's and Ducatos around for spares so it may be worth checking out a Citroen or Fiat parts dealer. Also, there are quite a lot of these engines on Ebay for spares and parts. You may well find that the Peugeot part number is the same for Fiat and Citroen. I imagine this part would also be common to the turbo version of this engine as well.

Sorry to hear about your problem mildred, When I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, I had a look in the MMM in the classifieds for the garages that deal with uprating diesel engines, I came across TB Turbos in Lancaster. They fixed the problem for me, but the point is they have loads of knowledge about how to fix the particular problem and were to get the parts from. It would be worth phoning the firms that do this, unfortunately TB Turbos has now gone. Something else you could do is google the actual part, its amazin what comes up, good luck......Bob

Can't you use fuel hose the same as used by most sensible manufacturers?

Sorry to hear about your problem mildred, When I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, I had a look in the MMM in the classifieds for the garages that deal with uprating diesel engines, I came across TB Turbos in Lancaster. They fixed the problem for me, but the point is they have loads of knowledge about how to fix the particular problem and were to get the parts from. It would be worth phoning the firms that do this, unfortunately TB Turbos has now gone. Something else you could do is google the actual part, its amazin what comes up, good luck......Bob

TB Turbo is now run by C&M Auto Services Unit 26 Lune Ind Estate Lancaster LA1 5QP, phone number 01524 843721. ask for Mark who used to work for TB Turbo he can still carry out what used to be done before.

leak-off rail repair

Thanks to all who replied - especially roland rat and bob690. I spoke to Mark at C&M Auto Services - very helpful with the immediate answer.

Apparently what one has to do is simply use double-ended banjo bolts with replacement diesel pressure piping running between them and down to the fuel tank.

I've relayed this to the MOT garage and they seem to think they can manage this ...:rolleyes:

Somebody also emailed me with this link:
Diesel Return (leak off) pipes - The Brick-yard - Page 1

which has some interesting (if slightly scary :eek: ) additional info about injectors and these rails.

We might be back on the road for the weekend after all!

Thats what this site is all about Mildred, glad I could help albeit in a small way, good camping....Bob

You can also use plastic air brake air lines, soak ends in boiling water for some min's to soften pipe before pushing onto leak-off or banjo fittings. Scanias use three or four different sizes of pipe for signals, gauges, brakes etc - Good luck!

Next time you are at a show buy a roll of Rescue tape well worth it for those type of repairs. My old VW had a similar problem years ago and the replacement pipe was bought by the length and cut to size just a push on fit at each injector. Years ago I replace one on a Land Rover and remade it with copper brake pipe and resoldering the banjos on-the things we do for love!!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back