Talbot autosleeper.

:cool:One or two will be interested to know I got the old campervan home without any problems.
Hav'nt got much time,so I''ll be back shortly with my experiences and maybe some pics of it on my drive.

Cheers ...Lenny:D:D

Well I've had a day to check over the van and I'm well impressed, especially after a good washdown.
Everything works,Fridge,,night heater,,cooker,,boiler and water pump.
I drove it back 145 miles no problem with my renault trafic close behind in my slipstream.
Advice needed for the following;- Back end seems to be a little low on suspension,(can it be raised).
Gear lever quite sloppy(wrap knuckles on dash find 1st. gear).
3 body panels required and horn push button.
Autohome body stripes faded,Can I buy them new?
Next step will be to do a mechanical check prior to the MOT. fingers crossed:D

hi glad all seems ok, gear linkage is a common fault on these vans.but you can buy a new kit on ebay about40 to 60 quid i think. all body pannels are available winrs about 40 quidish rear wheel arch repair panels at about 20 check beever autos on the web hope this helps good luck =TAL%20(82-89)http://bap.dominohosting.biz/bap/bapdb01.nsf/$$ViewTemplate%20for%20MakeModel!OpenForm&RestrictToCategoryBOT%20EXPRESS

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that Mandrake,I knew I could depend on you to come back with good advice.:)

Thanks for that Mandrake,I knew I could depend on you to come back with good advice.:)
i try to help just dont ask me how to do attachments to other web sites :confused:cos i am usless at that:D:D:D the stripes when i had a talbot autosleeper i just bourght body stripes to match and the red part resprayed with a car spray looked ok

Well I've had a day to check over the van and I'm well impressed, especially after a good washdown.
Everything works,Fridge,,night heater,,cooker,,boiler and water pump.
I drove it back 145 miles no problem with my renault trafic close behind in my slipstream.
Advice needed for the following;- Back end seems to be a little low on suspension,(can it be raised).
Gear lever quite sloppy(wrap knuckles on dash find 1st. gear).
3 body panels required and horn push button.
Autohome body stripes faded,Can I buy them new?
Next step will be to do a mechanical check prior to the MOT. fingers crossed:D
either new springs or spring assisters would help air bags would be nice but i expect they would be too pricey

I don't know yet if it has springs on the rear or shock absorbers,hav'nt had time to get underneath and inspect,still waiting for manual to arrive.
Thanks for your interest anyway..

it will have leaf springs with shox unless you are lucky and it has had air bags fitted but the leaf springs are easy to change if you need any more help please ask

Thanks again Mandrake, still no time or daylight to get underneath yet but done a bit research and learned that you can get leaf spring assisters and coil spring assisters (Grayston come well recommended).
Air bags seem to be the dogs bollocks but pricey.

as far as i know, (and that dont go far) when they converted the vans, they never beefed up the suspension. my autosleeper looked a bit low at the back but was ok. mabey springs of a coach built will be better just an idea but they are not hard to change

as far as i know, (and that dont go far) when they converted the vans, they never beefed up the suspension. my autosleeper looked a bit low at the back but was ok. mabey springs of a coach built will be better just an idea but they are not hard to change
mines a coachbuilt ducato doesn't have any different to normal leaf and shock but some that i have seen have spring leaf assisters that seem to prevent the back end sagging. thought about fitting these but am looking for another van so hopefully it will have these or air ride fitted

Hi Lenny, it was good to bump into you at the coast at the weekend . . . always nice to put a face to a name. When we left, we headed a bit further north to try and get satnav co-ordinates for a spot we came across during the summer, at Warkworth. It's just off an overflow car park at another spot near the coast but the barrier across the entrance to the overflow car park had been locked.

Glad to hear that the Talbot drove all the way home without any bother and has turned out to be a good investment!

Tony :)

Pre MOT last weekend on my winter project (Talbot express autosleeper) and it failed on several things,nowt major so I'm over the moon, should cost me about £60 to get it through. My biggest worry is finding an origional horn push for the steering wheel. Tried all the well known outlets ,but no luck.:(
Can anyone help me?:rolleyes:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back