taking your dog abroad

O the way back through Pet Control in Calais, we asked the woman behind the counter to check the French passports to see if they were ok, but she found a problem. All though the french vet copied everything out of the old passports including the rabbies jabs administered by a british vet, but because they didn't do the injection obviously they didn't stamp the rabies page.
So if you get your passport abroad as them to do a fresh rabbies injection so they will put their stamp on it.

We did manage to get an EU pet passport in France giving the address of the place we were staying. I believe it is getting more difficult now. We had decided to try a vet every day until we got one but got lucky the first day. We are frequent travellers so it makes a massive difference to us. Trouble is the dog now requires croissants and insists on wearing a beret. 🤣

I've lost the plot. Can anyone remind me why a European vet would give a new rabies vaccination when issuing an EU passport. Why can't they enter the details of the existing rabies jab?

Because by copying it over, the date of the vaccine is earlier than the date of the passport. That's not allowed, I think because the issuing vet, not having administered the vaccine himself, cannot certify that the dog has been vaccinated. Some do copy it but pet control are refusing to allow travel.

We successfully crossed this morning with ours. :)

We're driving to Switzerland in Sept and I've been in contact with a Swiss vet local to my daughter who we will be visiting, about getting a pet passport. Our local vet here in Scotland told me she had recently seen a Swiss 'EU" pet passport issued for a UK dog.
Here's the reply I got ...😟

Dear Mr. D
I have received the feedback from the federal veterinary office. We are not allowed to issue a Swiss Passport for any pet that has no residency in Switzerland. You must have a residence and pay taxes.

I`m very sorry not to be able to help you more.

Wish you all the best and best regards

My sister has 3 dogs and they all have EU passports, in each case the vet local to their house in s.France transcribed all the details across from the other passports including the rabies jab numbers. It’s not impossible but it helps to have a French address and a fluent French speaker on hand.

Some countries are more relaxed than others. Spain, Belgium and Germany don't seem to have a residency requirement.

@RSD7a what roughly is your route to Switzerland?

Some countries are more relaxed than others. Spain, Belgium and Germany don't seem to have a residency requirement.

@RSD7a what roughly is your route to Switzerland?
East from Calais to Strasbourg then south to Basel area. Rough route is def the phrase at this point

These are from a Facebook group, so not 100% reliable but try them -

This from a FB group where a member wrote the EU asking for clarification on PP’s issused in the EU to residents of GB. The poster points out that actual practice may be different - but for how long?

”From 1 January 2021, pet passports issued to a pet owner resident in Great Britain are no longer valid for travelling with pets from Great Britain to an EU country or Northern Ireland."
2. This has now been specifically confirmed in writing on 8.2.22 by the actual European Union Directorate responsible for it, in their email answer to a formal request to clarify that law. They confirm:-
"The situation is as follows:
• Any EU pet passport issued to a pet owner resident in Great Britain (regardless the nationality of the pet owner) is since the end of the transition period no longer a valid document for travelling with pets from Great Britain to the EU or Northern Ireland.
• This applies both to any pet passports issued in a Member State or Northern Ireland or in Britain before the end of the transition period, and to any pet passports issued in a Member State or Northern Ireland after the end of the transition period.
• An animal health certificate issued by an official veterinarian is required for each entry of an accompanying pet."

I think the original document that was lifted from actually is referring to UK issued EU Pet Passports though. I'm also on that Facebook group and I seem to remember there was a bit of discussion about how it was interpreted.

The initial part, yes. But the email from the EU specifically mentions PPs issued in a EU country as not being valid for any UK resident. Whether it’s enforced is another matter, but some vets are refusing to issue them to UK residents, I have read.

I don't want to get into a debate about it but it's that person's interpretation, of an email, about this document -

He says Please refer to section 5.1 it clearly says EU passports with UK address will be invalid

Section 5 actually says -

5.1. Accompanying pets

Union law sets rules for the non-commercial movement of pet dogs, cats and ferrets (hereafter "pets") that accompany travellers coming from third countries.

As from the end of the transition period, the following applies in relation to travels from Great Britain to the EU or Northern Ireland:
This section is drawn up in the assumption that Great Britain will be “listed”in accordance with Article 13(2) of Regulation (EU) No 576/2013,
i.e. it provides sufficient animal health guarantees.

Please note that guidance dogs and assistant dogs may profit, in addition,from the derogation provided for in Article 32 of Regulation (EU) No
576/2013.

5.1.1. Non-commercial movements into the EU or Northern Ireland of pets accompanying a pet owner resident in Great Britain. The "EU pet passport" issued to a pet owner resident in Great Britain will from the end of the transition period no longer be a valid document for travelling with pets from Great Britain to the EU or
Northern Ireland.

Rather, an animal health certificate issued by an official veterinarian will be required for each entry of an accompanying pet and only remains valid for movement within the EU and Northern Ireland for a period of up to four months from the date of the documentary and identity checks.

Now, the bit in bold is what he is referring to. And, I get that it could be interpreted that way except when you look at it in a wider context. This is an EU document that I interpret as just referring to UK issued EU Pet Passports. The document was simply not written to cover certain groups, for example UK owners of dogs from EU countries, with valid EU issued passports. All the Spanish and Greek rescue dogs for example. Or people who acquire a passport in the EU.

But like I said, I'm not really wanting to get into a debate. We have travelled in both directions with a valid EU issued passport. I'm happy to share my experience of getting it and using it. But if anyone feels more comfortable getting an AHC then that's absolutely what they should do.

Last edited:
We’ll have to agree to disagree. The email seems to me clear. I know many are getting PP’s abroad and using them without a problem so far. We had thought of doing the same for our 2 when we go to Spain over winter but have decided to stick with the AHC from an ”online” vet since repeats are discounted and we only go once a year.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back