Taking the campervan on the ferry to France post brexit

Steviesteve303

Hello all,
This will be my first time taking the campervan on the ferry post brexit. Whats the deal with taking food? Do I have to empty the fridge of perishables?! Do I need to worry about our dried food in the cupbard? Thanks

Don’t know about Dover or Folkestone but on the Brittany ferries crossing we took to Cherbourg no food checks made.

Newhaven to dieppe never checked at any cupboard ,fridge ,garage ,and back box freezer was full fridge had bacon sausage butter milk
asked if the gas was off I said not yet we're having a cuppa reply ok make sure it's off b4 boarding ,on the return every cupboard etc checked fridge and freezer still stocked but they were not interested even though they did a very thorough check at dieppe

We’ve never been checked and usually have some items in the fridge we shouldn’t. If you flaunted it they would probably do something but I don’t think they are interested in couples/ families.

Newhaven to dieppe never checked at any cupboard ,fridge ,garage ,and back box freezer was full fridge had bacon sausage butter milk
asked if the gas was off I said not yet we're having a cuppa reply ok make sure it's off b4 boarding ,on the return every cupboard etc checked fridge and freezer still stocked but they were not interested even though they did a very thorough check at dieppe
It's hilarious the French check everywhere for stowaways on the van then miss 50 inflatables leaving their shores every day.

I've been Newhaven - Dieppe twice his year, no food checks.

I was at a site in Plymouth this week, was chatting to a neighbouring caravanner, just leaving site to the ferry, she said she had just finished emptying her fridge before they left, she was none too pleased to hear that I'd crossed twice without any food checks this year!

No food checks post Brexit, via tunnel not ferry, for us either. We did take non dairy milk and various vegan options so that if stuff was confiscated, we wouldn't have to immediately go shopping ( we like to get on our way and not shop in France, but not really a problem if you do have to).

Artical 48 part d exempts foods in you luggage for personal consumption. So as long as you've not loaded large quantities you are fine and not breaking any law.

Another one for not being stopped on the handful of crossings I've done.

Not that I stock up on much anyway, apart from tea bags. I like venturing into shops when away, and if in a hurry, can be through France with a couple of rolls and tea. :LOL:

Artical 48 part d exempts foods in you luggage for personal consumption. So as long as you've not loaded large quantities you are fine and not breaking any law.

Hi Colin

Do you have a link to this article 48 part D that you mention? It could prove useful and help to end all the speculation. (y)

Thanks

Hi Colin

Do you have a link to this article 48 part D that you mention? It could prove useful and help to end all the speculation. (y)

Thanks
Am on new phone os and struggling to copy links, but if you go to oal and look on motorhome section you will see Brian Kirkby has copied the info on one of the threads. It would appear that the original rule was intended to stop commercial imports, but tourists got caught up in it, since then the EU has allowed exemptions for tourists bringing in food for their own consumption.

Think people should only post if they have had food confiscated.
Seems very unlikely to happen

I agree and think this would be more helpful (almost like asking who’s been gassed 🤣), but for what it’s worth we are back in the U.K. due to ferry home on the 10th after 33 border crossings over the last 6 months.

No one asked us about our fridge or contents, only two customs officers have asked to enter the van, both were in Chios and they only seemed interested in showing them how the drop down beds worked!

As a possible point interest, we sometimes go to France (Cherbourg) via Dublin as it cuts out a lot of driving. They have Tesco in Dublin, we can fill the van with proper bacon and whatever else is ‘excluded’ because it’s bought in Europe.

Might be of interest to some of our Scottish members jumping over to Ireland then Dublin to Cherbourg rather than long hauling down to the south of England?

The only problem with Tesco in Dublin is your points card isn’t recognised 🙄

• Funny
Reactions: REC
Am on new phone os and struggling to copy links, but if you go to oal and look on motorhome section you will see Brian Kirkby has copied the info on one of the threads. It would appear that the original rule was intended to stop commercial imports, but tourists got caught up in it, since then the EU has allowed exemptions for tourists bringing in food for their own consumption.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is "oal"?

• Thank You
Reactions: REC

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back