Taking pet over to Germany

Herbenny

Had a vet appointment this morning and enquired about the pet certificate and injections to take out dog to Germany … the ever so NOT helpful receptionist moaned her way through the whole costly process, in fact she moaned that much I switched off !!
So how easy/ hard is it to organise ? I know it’s expensive but don’t care it costs what it cost but just wanted to know if it’s pretty straightforward please ?

Had a vet appointment this morning and enquired about the pet certificate and injections to take out dog to Germany … the ever so NOT helpful receptionist moaned her way through the whole costly process, in fact she moaned that much I switched off !!
So how easy/ hard is it to organise ? I know it’s expensive but don’t care it costs what it cost but just wanted to know if it’s pretty straightforward please ?
Plenty vets doing cut price AHC
Last time I paid (before getting Spanish passport) was at Abbey (?) vets in Folkestone £99

I saw that on line abbeywell 👍
Worth checking . I think others on here have paid less . Depends where you are leaving from .
Very simple process , even I could do it ! You set it all up before leaving home go to the vet , with dog , job done

Should add if dog has not had rabies jab don't think you can cross channel for 5 days
Rabies jab is a LOT cheaper abroad . Not much use to you I know !

I think it's 21 days for the rabies vaccine to protect fully, then you can travel after that.

If you want to say roughly where you live, or PM me, there are quite a few vets that to the AHC for around £99 and I might be able to suggest someone who does your area. You usually have to fill in all the info online, they confirm the date of the rabies vaccination with your vet then arrange to meet you. They scan your dog to make sure the details all match and give you the AHC.

Then, as others have said, if you can get a passport abroad you don't need future AHCs. You should get a rabies booster though, because the date or the rabies vaccination mustn't be earlier than the date the passport is issued. Also, future rabies vaccinations need to be done abroad, entries by UK vets would invalidate it.

France is difficult (because you also have to have your dog registered on the microchip database and use a French address), Belgium is easier and I don't know about Germany.

Coming back, you need to get your dog wormed and the paperwork signed by a vet. You can't come back during the first 24 hours but you must be on UK soil before 120 hours. If you have had the rabies booster and 21 days haven't passed, you would travel back on the AHC you went out with, and use your passport for the next trip.

If you’re only heading for Germany Jaq, you don’t stand much chance of getting a European Passport sadly.
I believe France Spain and Germany are now using the iCad system which means that the animal must be registered at an address in that Country.
I have heard tell of a woman vet in Belgium who is prepared to issue passports, but I’ve also heard that she is totally snowed under and turning applications away now.
If, however you were heading for Portugal, that is a different story, they are not quite so strict.

I think it's 21 days for the rabies vaccine to protect fully, then you can travel after that.

If you want to say roughly where you live, or PM me, there are quite a few vets that to the AHC for around £99 and I might be able to suggest someone who does your area. You usually have to fill in all the info online, they confirm the date of the rabies vaccination with your vet then arrange to meet you. They scan your dog to make sure the details all match and give you the AHC.

Then, as others have said, if you can get a passport abroad you don't need future AHCs. You should get a rabies booster though, because the date or the rabies vaccination mustn't be earlier than the date the passport is issued. Also, future rabies vaccinations need to be done abroad, entries by UK vets would invalidate it.

France is difficult (because you also have to have your dog registered on the microchip database and use a French address), Belgium is easier and I don't know about Germany.

Coming back, you need to get your dog wormed and the paperwork signed by a vet. You can't come back during the first 24 hours but you must be on UK soil before 120 hours. If you have had the rabies booster and 21 days haven't passed, you would travel back on the AHC you went out with, and use your passport for the next trip.
Yes exactly what happened to me . Maybe the 5 days came into my head because of the worming !

This is where Jessie was registered in Germany !

d204747a-5553-46e8-bc6a-2c247c0f2938.jpeg

If you’re only heading for Germany Jaq, you don’t stand much chance of getting a European Passport sadly.
I believe France Spain and Germany are now using the iCad system which means that the animal must be registered at an address in that Country.
I have heard tell of a woman vet in Belgium who is prepared to issue passports, but I’ve also heard that she is totally snowed under and turning applications away now.
If, however you were heading for Portugal, that is a different story, they are not quite so strict.
WHAT ?? Really 😩

I’m so glad I asked way in advance what thanks everyone ..
Rog thanks for that info I’m going to read more into it. What an absolute palava 😫

I believe France Spain and Germany are now using the iCad system
I hadn't heard that - I thought it was an exclusively French database. Or did you mean Spain and Germany using their own similar systems?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back