Taking home food with you into the EU

Seems a little strange when going for 2 months + you can't stand 1 hrs shopping. What's so terrible if you don't make it to Rouen in the 1st day. Why set yourself such strict targets if your wife is not well, it's meant to be a pleasure not a punishment.

With MS you get good days and bad days so we always have to balance and carefully plan our travel in case of bad days. Staying near Rouen for our first night allows us to have X number travelling days for the whole outward trip that suit us (quantity of days and hours travelled per day). Leaving site in Folkestone; then crossing via the tunnel; then travelling on to our first night stopping place is enough for one day for my wife, hanging about for that extra hour would tire her out too much and that would set the tenor of the rest of the travelling down to Spain.

There is no "punishment" as you say, rather a well worn route which has been modified by us over the years and works well. It is then a pleasure if my wife is in good health and spirits.

Not a bad shout.

I have asked the question about foodstuffs that originally came from the EU into the UK and whether we can carry them. It might enable us to carry some milk for a cuppa en route, for example.

I think the 2KG allowance as mentioned by Ruth is well worth following up.

I think the 2KG allowance as mentioned by Ruth is well worth following up.

A good shout but unfortunately when I read it the 2kg allowance referred to in Article 7 are only those goods that are allowed in Annex 1.

Part 2 of said annex specifically mentions that meat and dairy products are "...not exempted from official controls at border control posts..."

In fact that list in Annex 1 Part 2 is very exhaustive and contains quite a few things that may surprise...

It doesn't take an hour to dive in a shop and get some meat. You can even have the other ingredients prepped and frozen. Chuck the meat in, done.

Things change, you need to learn to deal with it, not just moan lol.

Supermarket, street market and local shopping is one of the great joys of travel. The problem arises with ferry times, if it gets in late evening then you are stuck with an afternoon ferry snack and crucially no milk for the morning cuppa. After that initial hurdle things ease off. Anyone know about the rules bringing food back into the UK apart from the alcohol limits now in force. Reminds of sailing to Guernsey where “Bucktrouts” sold draught brandy, whisky and gin. It was an Appleade bottle for whisky and brandy and a lemonade bottle for gin with the small children acting as cover on the one occasion we were “rummaged” by the customs while flying the Q flag as a signal we had come from foreign parts. it just might work again........

Try Almond milk. That would give you your first cuppa. Lots of non dairy and non meat products to tide you over. They usually sell milk at service stations too

And why take cheese to France. Nor meat for that matter. Easy to replenish much better over there.

although i wonder how long before shops spring up near the ports to sell such items to passing Brits. Maybe when Covid is over.

Try Almond milk. That would give you your first cuppa. Lots of non dairy and non meat products to tide you over. They usually sell milk at service stations too

And why take cheese to France. Nor meat for that matter. Easy to replenish much better over there.

although i wonder how long before shops spring up near the ports to sell such items to passing Brits. Maybe when Covid is over.
Is French cheese better? You may get a very wide selection but ultimately there are only 5 or 6 different flavour groups. Brie/Camembert is Brie/Camembert, blue vein is blue vein, goat is goat, sheep is sheep, and French are absolutely hopeless at hard cheeses!

Is it no wonder they want to stop U.K. visitors entering France with their superb British crumbly matured fully flavoured cheese selection. The French cheese makers would be extremely concerned that compatriots might discover that there are English alternatives to cheddar!

I can’t help thinking someone could make a killing knocking out stickers in various sizes for various standard sized boxed meals stating they are vegan meals - ‘XXX’ contains no meat or dairy produce. I’d buy if it meant taking milk with us.

I like Curry Frenzy http://www.curryfrenzy.com/

They transfer nicely into small jars and make great authentic Indian meals fairly quickly.

I can remember going to France in the middle of the foot & mouth crisis. We were asked if we had an animal products. We said no as we were not happy to surrender our cheese sandwiches (day trip booze run only).
No doubt a box got ticked on a clipboard somewhere.

I’ve mentioned it before but dog food is going to be a problem for those of us who don’t feed brands that are sold in French supermarkets. Because dogs eat a fairly limited diet, a sudden change can cause tummy upsets - not what you want in a motorhome …

I agree that taking a ham sandwich into the EU constitutes such a low risk that it is prepropuous to ban it and its equivalent, but at the end of the day the EU is requesting that when we enter the EU we don't bring in certain products. In countries all round the world there are laws, rituals, behaviours that I disagree with, think are ridiculous or dont understand etc but when in someone else's house you should show courtesy especially when it is as easy as leaving a ham sandwich at home.

Last edited:
When we get to go I may take some Port Salut in the fridge and see if they take that off us?

When we get to go I may take some Port Salut in the fridge and see if they take that off us?
Probably :) When we flew from Easter Island to Chile, they would let me take an apple onto the plane with me - and it didn't do any good to say that the apple came from Chile in the first place!

I’ve mentioned it before but dog food is going to be a problem for those of us who don’t feed brands that are sold in French supermarkets. Because dogs eat a fairly limited diet, a sudden change can cause tummy upsets - not what you want in a motorhome …

Find out what is available there and here and start introducing it before you go.

And p msl at limited diet, I've seen dogs eat some proper random stuff 🤣

Edit, these brands are the popular ones

Screenshot_20210514-152141_Samsung Internet.jpg

I do understand every one has their own personal food tastes however if the scientific thinking is that so to speak ‘to save the world’ as a planet we should be cutting down on our meat consumption, it really isn’t going to happen is it if we are having such trouble going without meat or ‘veggie’ just for a couple of days. The precooked frozen meals could actually be Quorn meals or just vegetarian meals. Maybe people would be pleasantly surprised how good they can be. I myself do eat meat but only 2 or 3 times a month and then I really enjoy it as it’s a treat.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back