Takin' the mick ... 18 vans at Portinscale Keswick !

If it is that dead end bit of road I dont see what harm they are doing to be honest, its not really near anywhere from memory and the road goes nowhere.

It's on a popular walking route so a lot of people pass by.

Google Maps

Google Maps

It looked like an encampment rather than a bunch of individuals free camping. And it wasn't just "parking" - chairs out etc.

Last edited:
yes there are cl sites many hundred scattered about ,there not generally advertised unless of course you are with ether the caravan club or the caravan and camping club ,and if your not a member there's a good chance you wont be allowed on now then ,years ago i had a caravan ive had a few in the past,and campers ,motorhomes and tents and a trailor tent but then there were campervans about but not the many thousands there are today ,and you could hitch up and drive ,find a site and pull on and stay or if you had a camper/motorhome just pull on ,even mid summer ,now unfortunately if you havent booked weeks in advance chance are there's no room at the inn ,and are turned away . so to me there has got to be some more areas for our vehicles of course should you have a motorhome you can always park up on a lay bye, so maybe the restriction ,rules and outdated regulations for creating a cheap no frills site need bringing up to date ,after all this highly popular leisure activity is woefully inadequate for the amount of people enjoying it ,but it certainly benefits the big commercial sites with there overinflated prices . so mabey if the councils are trying to stop wild camping then they need to make it easier to open a small to medium site for a farmer or land owner .yes there are pub stop but considerer this many have no facilities you can stay the night but have to be away early doors ,and the can work out very expensive ,drinks a couple of pints a couple of wine for the ladies ,then two meals there not cheap but sometimes nasty , what 40 quid or so , a camp site might cost half that , and you've got there facilities to use .

Last edited by a moderator:
yes there are cl sites many hundred scattered about ,there not generally advertised unless of course you are with ether the caravan club or the caravan and camping club ,and if your not a member there's a good chance you wont be allowed on now then ,years ago i had a caravan ive had a few in the past,and campers ,motorhomes and tents and a trailor tent but then there were campervans about but not the many thousands there are today ,and you could hitch up and drive ,find a site and pull on and stay or if you had a camper/motorhome just pull on ,even mid summer ,now unfortunately if you havent booked weeks in advance chance are there's no room at the inn ,and are turned away . so to me there has got to be some more areas for our vehicles of course should you have a motorhome you can always park up on a lay bye, so maybe the restriction ,rules and outdated regulations for creating a cheap no frills site need bringing up to date ,after all this highly popular leisure activity is woefully inadequate for the amount of people enjoying it ,but it certainly benefits the big commercial sites with there overinflated prices . so mabey if the councils are trying to stop wild camping then they need to make it easier to open a small to medium site for a farmer or land owner .yes there are pub stop but considerer this many have no facilities you can stay the night but have to be away early doors ,and the can work out very expensive ,drinks a couple of pints a couple of wine for the ladies ,then two meals there not cheap but sometimes nasty , what 40 quid or so , a camp site might cost half that , and you've got there facilities to use .

Rubbish I'm afraid.... most if not all CS/Cls are easily findable via places like **************.co.uk etc...

And in the many years I've been using them both for tents and caravans... even when I wasn't a member (we only joined late last year for the discounted fees)
We've only ever been asked once for membership details.
Most of the small CL/CSs I suspect would rather have your money than, empty pitches ;-)

Do wildcamping members actually stop at places like that? :idea:

Gordon Bennett, it would put me off for life. :(

It would be perfect if you could be there by yourself and there weren't tourists passing by staring in at you.

Same as the road at Bowness - saw 7 or 8 mhs parked up over a weekend, alongside the pavement with people regularly walking by.

Rubbish I'm afraid.... most if not all CS/Cls are easily findable via places like **************.co.uk etc...

And in the many years I've been using them both for tents and caravans... even when I wasn't a member (we only joined late last year for the discounted fees)
We've only ever been asked once for membership details.
Most of the small CL/CSs I suspect would rather have your money than, empty pitches ;-)

No good to me. Not so much nowadays, getting older, but I don't want to plan. "Tonight I'll stay at .......... if there's space or I'll move on to .......... if there isn't. And I'll move to .......... tomorrow and if that's full then I'll go to ....."

No good to me and those places aren't what my van is for. The van is for freedom. If I wanted to use those places then I'd probably not go to the expense of a motorhome and I'd be like you in your youth (and me in mine) - tents and caravans.

I find it stunningly hypocritical for any member of any internet group to be critical of members of any other internet groups doing what they do themselves.

The internet caused the dramatic campervan boom and will cause it's sure to be equally dramatic demise imho.

I only give wild locations to people by pm but the genie's out of the bottle now and he won't go back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never class parking in a town car park, roadside or pub wild camping and would never want to do it. Our idea of wild camping is absolute solitude.

I would never class parking in a town car park, roadside or pub wild camping and would never want to do it. Our idea of wild camping is absolute solitude.

Of course - and a very valid reason for having a motorhome.

Forgive me saying this - but you seem to say your view is superior and it's worth remembering that your sort of wildcamping would be laughed at by those using boots and a bivvy bag.

For me - a car park on a beach. Near enough to real wildcamping for me. And when I've found it I might just overstay and let you real wildcampers complain about me.

It would be perfect if you could be there by yourself and there weren't tourists passing by staring in at you.

Same as the road at Bowness - saw 7 or 8 mhs parked up over a weekend, alongside the pavement with people regularly walking by.

We stayed there once a few years ago.

Great spot for an overnighter ......... if you don't mind Taxis hammering past every few minutes in the wee small hours and drunks banging on the side of the van.

The easy resolution of any motorhome parking problems is in the hands of local authorities. Some have proved it, or at least made the effort, to guide motorhome parking on to a number of particular car parks. This entirely free solution is available to all local authorities.

There'll still be a number, maybe a large number, of motorhomers who'd prefer not to use tolerated parking but most of us would. Most of us do - when the opportunity is there.

I've thought for a long time that our leisure activity can only continue if, eventually, local authorities come to realise this.

With the rise in motorhoming in the UK is it not time that towns and villages got with the program and start providing aires? As in France for 2 or 3 quid and say £1 for fresh water. We don't all want to stop in overpriced camping sites.

With the rise in motorhoming in the UK is it not time that towns and villages got with the program and start providing aires? As in France for 2 or 3 quid and say £1 for fresh water. We don't all want to stop in overpriced camping sites.

That would imply a cost to local authorities (to provide water or waste facilities) and gives an excellent excuse to restrict us. "We'd like to but we can't afford it." while at the same time affording expensive measures to deny us.

We're wildcampers, yes? We can still use, tolerated, parking and shift for ourselves, like we do now, for water and waste disposal.

"Don't take away our right to use the car parks we own and pay for" That would suit me.

That would imply a cost to local authorities (to provide water or waste facilities) and gives an excellent excuse to restrict us. "We'd like to but we can't afford it." while at the same time affording expensive measures to deny us.

We're wildcampers, yes? We can still use, tolerated, parking and shift for ourselves, like we do now, for water and waste disposal.

"Don't take away our right to use the car parks we own and pay for" That would suit me.

Tolerated parking is easy to do . Lots of town centre/beauty spots etc are empty all night . Don't provide facilities just allow us to stop and , of course , charge a reasonable
fee .
Wild camping is a catch-all phrase for those of us who don't [always/usually/ever] stay in campsites . Be it the centre of Paris or on a remote Pennine moorland it is wild camping . I have done both and I , of course , feel totally superior to those who would only do the latter

Plenty of C&CC CL sites open all year round, that's what I use when I visit Cumbria throughout the winter months.
Sadly there are lots of people who spend a fortune on their motorhome who wouldn't dream of spending a tenner a night on a campsite.
The ones I use only have 5 pitches, are usually on a farm or smallholding and in winter I'm often the only one there.

I know the area well as I only live 45 min from the Lakes and in Winter there are plenty of places to park up although I surprised to see people are putting tables and chairs out, bit brave in summer even if you ask me.

Problem with Keswick from memory is that none of the main campsites in or around the town are probably open and all the CL's are miles away. Doesnt bother me as have a scooter and a CL would always be my choice anyway in that area but some maybe dont have that luxury. Also it could be that they are parking there for an hour or two, have a look around and bugger off to a CL or site.

I know the area well as I only live 45 min from the Lakes and in Winter there are plenty of places to park up although I surprised to see people are putting tables and chairs out, bit brave in summer even if you ask me.

Problem with Keswick from memory is that none of the main campsites in or around the town are probably open and all the CL's are miles away. Doesnt bother me as have a scooter and a CL would always be my choice anyway in that area but some maybe dont have that luxury. Also it could be that they are parking there for an hour or two, have a look around and bugger off to a CL or site.

hi
we were at keswick over new year both the c&cc sites were full. the warden
said fully booked for weeks £25 night. for members. cant remember if it was
per unit or person. there is another road further along which had about 8 vans
but only noticed it while driving past. there is a couple of long term car parks
where its £1 for the night. you can pay £7 at the same time for the next day
till 1 saves you getting up early for ticket. i dont think you are allowed to sleep
overnight officially but nowt was said. the whole place was crowded all week.
never seen anywhere so busy.

The easy resolution of any motorhome parking problems is in the hands of local authorities. Some have proved it, or at least made the effort, to guide motorhome parking on to a number of particular car parks. This entirely free solution is available to all local authorities.

There'll still be a number, maybe a large number, of motorhomers who'd prefer not to use tolerated parking but most of us would. Most of us do - when the opportunity is there.

I've thought for a long time that our leisure activity can only continue if, eventually, local authorities come to realise this.

Absolutely right, I've been saying it for years.

However......town councils are almost impossible to talk reasonably to, for a myriad of reasons/excuses......frightened of gypsies, frightened of change, a need to discuss with so many other people it all fizzles out, their cousin/nephew/best friend/neighbour/friend of a councillor.....owns a campsite within 30 miles .......take your pick......sometimes I just despair, but to be fair a few.....very few.....are now doing it, so maybe, just maybe , eventually........

I 99% never post on FB and avoid any "where to stay" q's. It's usually a source of amusement but not 2nite.

Only feel slightly better now... discuss.

Chrz Mul.

Perhaps it's the 1% we should be concerned about? 🤔

Thanks
as with other "over popular places" I will pencil that one out !

A local landowner could make a fortune simply by providing
1 Suitable standing and access
2 Fresh water
3 Sewage and grey water disposal

Maybe a simple barrier mainly to ensure they collect fees

Visit 2x a day to check and collect

Yes have a limit (agreed with LA) of maybe up to 10 vehicles.

Some (not enough) people/councils are waking up to this

My idea (and I know I will get good and bad reactions) would be o charge £7.50 (or£8) a night
£5 is too little £10 maybe too much but OK in Areas such as The Lakes

10 Vehicle x £10 x say 5 Days is £500 a week (ok maybe only for 5 months) but.....
(Minimum wage £50 a day ! but only 2 hrs work ! a day)

A landowner/leaseholder may accomodate up to 5 "caravans" per acre for leisure purposes without getting planning consent. I wouldn't be sure that this applies to motor caravans which by their nature would not be a permanent feature. However we mustn't forget the planning authorities part in a venture of this sort and these can be lobbied by other local interests so could be the fly in the ointment!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back