Takin' the mick ... 18 vans at Portinscale Keswick !

Can anyone think of a more perfect site for an aire than Millers Field in Ambleside? and the grief the National Park have given the owners even on the limited numbers they allowed this year.

Plenty of C&CC CL sites open all year round, that's what I use when I visit Cumbria throughout the winter months.
Sadly there are lots of people who spend a fortune on their motorhome who wouldn't dream of spending a tenner a night on a campsite.
The ones I use only have 5 pitches, are usually on a farm or smallholding and in winter I'm often the only one there.

I spent a fortune on a motorhome so that I don't have to go on campsites like tuggers do. Show me a CL within easy walking distance of Keswick town centre anyway.
I too seek solitude, but sometimes if I need to be in Keswick I will park on the dead-end lane referred to.
The council appear to accept the presence of vans there, as they have provided suitable wheelie bins at either end. Hopefully they acknowledge the tourism being brought in.
It's not in a residential area or a seafront. It's nicely out of town and in many ways similar to basic aires provided elsewhere.
Most locals and tourists walking by comment positively on the vans, many admiring them and comparing them, talking about specific features they notice and regularly engaging in conversation with the owners. The self-haters on here are more of a threat in my opinion.

Show me a CL within easy walking distance of Keswick town centre anyway.
I too seek solitude, but sometimes if I need to be in Keswick I will park on the dead-end lane referred to.
The council appear to accept the presence of vans there, as they have provided suitable wheelie bins at either end. Hopefully they acknowledge the tourism being brought in.
It's not in a residential area or a seafront. It's nicely out of town and in many ways similar to basic aires provided elsewhere.
Most locals and tourists walking by comment positively on the vans, many admiring them and comparing them, talking about specific features they notice and regularly engaging in conversation with the owners.

Good to hear.

I agree that there is a huge gap between campsites offering facilities that we don't need at £20-30 per night and near-to-places to stay for us motorhomers who would interact/spend money-that-would-benefit-the-local-economy. Dream on...!!

Last edited:
Show me a CL within easy walking distance of Keswick town centre anyway.
Most locals and tourists walking by comment positively on the vans, many admiring them and comparing them, talking about specific features they notice and regularly engaging in conversation with the owners.

Good to hear.

I agree that there is a huge gap between campsites offering facilities that we don't need at £20-30 per night and near-to-places to stay for us motorhomers who would interact/spend money-that-would-benefit-the-local-economy. Dream on...!!

So lets discuss what we get on a decent site - irrespective of price

flat ground (usually)
mowed lawns
electric
water
waste disposal x grey and cassette
showers
hard standing
laundrette (sometimes)
toilets
litter disposal

To those on this forum who moan about facilities they don't want - maybe they could suggest which of these services we would not use on an overnight stay ?

If there are 2 of you in a van using 10 facilities each - that is about £1 per facility - that's not a lot. Many vanners have spent tens of thousands of pound on a MH and yet begrudge some site owners the small amounts some of them charge for facilities.

Before i get attacked - i am NOT talking about those sites which add charges for each person, each dog, an awning, blah blah blah - all of which are a bit much for my needs or wallet - but smaller sites need to be patronised in order to stay in business - because we do need them - and they need us. . I suspect almost everyone on here has used a site's waste disposal even when not overnighting - and that costs money. I have even heard of vanners driving in, emptying waste refilling water tanks and driving out - how mean is that ?

i avoid overnighting in sites almost always - but i will use sites for litter/waste/water and pay for the privilege. All these things cost the owners money - and we should recognise that.

Last edited:

flat ground (usually)
mowed lawns
electric
water
showers
hard standing
laundrette (sometimes)
toilets
litter disposal

To those on this forum who moan about facilities they don't want - maybe they could suggest which of these services we would not use on an overnight stay ?

If there are 2 of you in a van using 10 facilities each - that is about £1 per facility - that's not a lot. Many vanners have spent tens of thousands of pound on a MH and yet begrudge some site owners the small amounts some of them charge for facilities.

Before i get attacked - i am NOT talking about those sites which add charges for each person, each dog, an awning, blah blah blah - all of which are a bit much for my needs or wallet - but smaller sites need to be patronised in order to stay in business - because we do need them - and they need us. . I suspect almost everyone on here has used a site's waste disposal even when not overnighting - and that costs money. I have even heard of vanners driving in, emptying waste refilling water tanks and driving out - how mean is that ?

i avoid overnighting in sites almost always - but i will use sites for litter/waste/water and pay for the privilege. All these things cost the owners money - and we should recognise that.

Exactly! Non of the above! All I want from an overnight stay is to feel safe and not feel like a pariah. If I need any from your list I'm very happy to pay for it.

flat ground (usually)
mowed lawns
electric
water
showers
hard standing
laundrette (sometimes)
toilets
litter disposal

I think most on here use sites occasionally ? I do but , depending where I am , probably once/twice a month . Travelling [like many things] solo tends to make sites that bit more expensive but I have no problem paying , where necessary , for facilities

flat ground (usually)
mowed lawns
electric
water
showers
hard standing
laundrette (sometimes)
toilets
litter disposal

Well, I never need flat ground and mowed lawns - and many sites don't have that anyway. I don't normally need electric. All the other things can be found easily enough without going on a campsite.

But I am happy to pay a reasonable amount to stay on a campsite where all the facilities are to hand.

The last week I have spent 6 nights on campsites. The first cost me £5.50 a night. The second cost me £13.40 a night. The only difference was that the second provided EHU. I didn't want it but because I had to pay for it anyway, I used it. Which involves carrying extra equipment around that I don't really have room for in my little van.

This is my biggest bugbear with the "Caravan and Motorhome" Club. Most of their CLs seem to be the same, which is why I rarely use them. C & C C sites and CSs are usually more accommodating.

We wild camp where we can, but if we saw a few motorhomes parked up in one place would run for the hills pretty smartly lol. It can make the place look trashy depending on what the owners do whilst they are there.
Tintagel proves that if the council provides safe parking for day and night for motorhomes then they come and spend money. We went there during the day last week, all the motothome dedicated spots were full and we saw most of the owners going back with either bags of shopping and or lunch. I spoke to one local shopowner and asked what she thought of the parking spaces. She said that the vast majority of Motorhome folk that parked were very careful of the area and best of all spent money which was very welcome in winter.

We all have different needs or wants......
Mine are if I can't find solitude then at least enough space that I'm not hemmed in.....certainly not more than 2 or 3 others ....
Preferably somewhere my 3 tiny dogs can have a run off lead safely.
A wood, a deserted beach, a tucked away castle car park out of hours (loads of them in Ireland)
A nice view
Feels safe..... away from passing traffic but preferably not in the local "night meeting place "

Over the last 35+ years this has got progressively more difficult and I'm quite happy to use the occasional away from the road lay by and small site when needed.
I've noticed a certain amount of criticism at times for the Brit Stops scheme usually because there are lots of pubs featured but believe you me there are some absolute gems in there that to me make it worth every penny when planning touring holiday's........vineyards, cheese dairy' s, craft centres, farm shops ......what's not to like 😀

Money, for me, does rear it's ugly head and I'm not afraid to admit it.
I'm now retired and living on a restricted income, my lifelong passion has been travelling in my motor home whenever possible and all my spare cash goes on keeping this passion alive......even if I wanted to, I could not afford to stay on sites every night.

After surviving Bowel cancer 3 years ago my passion for my lifestyle is even stronger and I would never criticise anyone's choices on how they enjoy this lifestyle. ...just as long as it doesn't impinge on anyone else's lifestyle.

If we all keep our respect for each other and use our common sense then we should be able to surmount any problems.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back