Switch on contril.panel.

I set up the tempory cable from charger to leisure battery overnight .just run across the floor .I am now getting this reading and everything works on the temp cable .so deffo a problem with the original wire so will do the teats on the orig cable over the weekend as meri said .wildebus I am now getting this reading on the charger app with telp cable and battery shows good readings
1000025496.jpg

Before you run a replacement cable, be worth checking all the fuses, including taking them out and visually inspecting them, including the contacts. Your motothome is fairly old and it could be something as simple as a bit of surface corrosion stopping contact being made.

Will take a look .thanks .the cables hard to trace but will use the multi meter .it won't show me where the damage is though .and majority of that cable is hidden .I have checked all the habitation bullet fuses in the fuse box and a main 30 amp fuse at rear of fuse box ..checked a fuse by starter battery also .just hoping not another fuse hidden somewhere I can't see .( Thanks for reply )will update after I get a chance to look over weekend .

Just a thought .tho the relay behind the fuse box is for switching it over to charge on alternator if that relay has blown could this effect the cable from the charger unit to the battery ?

Just a thought .tho the relay behind the fuse box is for switching it over to charge on alternator if that relay has blown could this effect the cable from the charger unit to the battery ?
Mains charger will only charge when you are on hookup or generator. Why do you think it will be a problem?

What an odd thing to do! Something that's not actually applicable to me because Hymers have always been out of the range of my wallet☹️

It is a typical Wiring standard for EBL equipped Campers and Motorhomes .... Brown is the NEGATIVE (German vehicle standard), so it is likely what gets used is AC 2-core (lighting) cable, so the Blue ends up beind used as POSITIVE by default.
Probably use Brown/Blue AC cable as the more usual Red/Black would be confusing as with an EBL, Red is used for Engine Battery POSITIVE and Black is used for Leisure Battery POSITIVE.
Of course what also happens is people buy red/black twin-core cable to add circuits as the van gets older and adapted, and use the 'normal' colour scheme, so you end up with a wiring setup where you have Red used for Engine AND Leisure Battery POS and Black used for both Leisure Battery POS and common NEGATIVE and they are all fitted all over the place :D

Mains charger will only charge when you are on hookup or generator. Why do you think it will be a problem?
Hi .because it's on hook up parked on my drive gir new leisure battery and it depleted and no lights etc after a day or two .no electric step etc ..it's not charging leisure battery from on board charger when in hook up. .from the wiring in motorhome .if I run a temp cable it works fine and charges the battery .so I have possibly a broken wire or connector on the existing wiring ...I struggled to find it tonight .so in the end I ran a new cable from the charger through to the leisure battery and the battery is now charging / maintaining while on hook up ...👍

Thanks again everyone for help on this ..I failed to find the damaged wire / fuse so ran a new cable from charger ..I removed fridge vent on outside and threaded it at back of fridge .under the metal trim by door .then took it under the plastic cup holder and storage next to passenger seat .run it through dash area and dropped it down to the leisure battery compartment at side of drivers seat .all working so far .like I say the advice was much appreciated ...onto finding the fault on the rear light unit now . possible bad earth as when indicator on the two bulbs next to it also light up 😂keep you all uodated
My target is possibly Christmas markets somewhere .she needs four new tyres also and an MOT .fingers crossed be super to get her back on the road

Oops yeh I wasn't sure how the relay switched but thinking about it yes I unplug the hook up it turns off the leisure battery .I'm a fool at times bud .was going round in circles and confusing myself .thanks for reply

It is a typical Wiring standard for EBL equipped Campers and Motorhomes .... Brown is the NEGATIVE (German vehicle standard), so it is likely what gets used is AC 2-core (lighting) cable, so the Blue ends up beind used as POSITIVE by default.
Probably use Brown/Blue AC cable as the more usual Red/Black would be confusing as with an EBL, Red is used for Engine Battery POSITIVE and Black is used for Leisure Battery POSITIVE.
Of course what also happens is people buy red/black twin-core cable to add circuits as the van gets older and adapted, and use the 'normal' colour scheme, so you end up with a wiring setup where you have Red used for Engine AND Leisure Battery POS and Black used for both Leisure Battery POS and common NEGATIVE and they are all fitted all over the place :D
It's funny how people have a relaxed attitude to MH electrics including the 240v side and will happily have a go themselves when they wouldn't attempt doing anything to their domestic system. I can imagine working on an older vehicle that's had multiple owners each having their own additions with little control over cable gauge and colour being a whole lot of fun! Having said that I guess by now you're half expecting some of the 'modifications' that you encounter and have come to accept it as part of the job? Cant imagine how many times you've scratched you head and uttered "what the hell's been done here?" ☺️ Admit it though....you'll miss it when you stop🤣

It's funny how people have a relaxed attitude to MH electrics including the 240v side and will happily have a go themselves when they wouldn't attempt doing anything to their domestic system. I can imagine working on an older vehicle that's had multiple owners each having their own additions with little control over cable gauge and colour being a whole lot of fun! Having said that I guess by now you're half expecting some of the 'modifications' that you encounter and have come to accept it as part of the job? Cant imagine how many times you've scratched you head and uttered "what the hell's been done here?" ☺️ Admit it though....you'll miss it when you stop🤣
Miss it? Nah, don't think so :)

My main tip for anyone is to label up everything before disconnecting and don't assume. I swapped over a pair of batteries on an EBL-equipped older A-Class recently and there were red wires to +ve, black wires to +ve, black wires to -ve, brown wires to -ve, brown wires to +ve .... Label, label, label if there is any kind of mixed wiring.
And one to watch .... US wiring where Black is "Hot" (+ve) and White is the -ve. Didn't expect that when I prepared to wire up my new MaxxAir Fan and had actually run Black and White wires to it - but with normal standards, so MY black was -ve and white was +ve :D So on that, black went to white and white went to black :) (I like to often use different colours for different purposes so easy to identify when multiples in a run, but Black and Brown stay as -ve)

I think the reason why people may not touch house electrics these days is probably due to regulations and paperwork needed when you come to sell a house.
In the past I have rewired a 4 story house, well that’s not true, I helped my mate who was a spare to do the work. Laying cables and ring mains no problem at all but the way he did lighting circuits I just couldn’t get. It was back in the early 80’s so of course I can’t remember what the method was called but you had a lot of connections going into ceiling roses.
More recently I have wired up sheds and outbuilding with consumer units, ring mains, lighting circuits and network cabling without problem. To get around any problems with regs has been terminated by a 3 pin plug into house socket. Until moving to Hull I always had a sparky handy I could check stuff with before doing it if I wasn’t sure.
Only problem I can see doing 240 or 12v stuff in any van may come if you want to hire it out. Of course I am assuming the persons doing the work have a bit of common sense and are fairly competent with practical tasks.

I think the reason why people may not touch house electrics these days is probably due to regulations and paperwork needed when you come to sell a house.
In the past I have rewired a 4 story house, well that’s not true, I helped my mate who was a spare to do the work. Laying cables and ring mains no problem at all but the way he did lighting circuits I just couldn’t get. It was back in the early 80’s so of course I can’t remember what the method was called but you had a lot of connections going into ceiling roses.
More recently I have wired up sheds and outbuilding with consumer units, ring mains, lighting circuits and network cabling without problem. To get around any problems with regs has been terminated by a 3 pin plug into house socket. Until moving to Hull I always had a sparky handy I could check stuff with before doing it if I wasn’t sure.
Only problem I can see doing 240 or 12v stuff in any van may come if you want to hire it out. Of course I am assuming the persons doing the work have a bit of common sense and are fairly competent with practical tasks.
Yes there's been a big drop off in DIY electrics since part p electrical certs were introduced for sure. Funny but there's actually a clash of colours WRT UK wiring, when wiring an extractor fan with over run using 3 core and earth cable, which comes in either blue, brown and black or brown black and grey. The 'correct' way of doing the job means that the switched live is wired in black. Now if the house also has the old red and black wiring then you can have black cables in the same property that are both live AND neutral but perfectly legal as long as it has the correct sticker on the consumer unit. One of the lives in a 3 phase supply is also black.

Back