SWatellite reception in Europe with an 85cm dish

John H

In view of the recent reductions in reception, the following may be useful:

We have an 85cm Maxview satellite dish mounted on the roof of the motorhome and have been touring through central and southern Europe. We had perfect reception all the way through Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany to Austria (Prutz was the furthest east we got, so the signal may go further). We lost reception at Lake Garda but picked it up again as we turned west and stopped at Lake Maggiore. We then had reception through Briancon in the French Alps and at Sommieres but lost it at Marseillan Plage. We then travelled broadly east to west along the French Pyrenees and must have been on the edge of the signal because in some places we got no reception (eg Gavernie) at others we got full reception (eg Biarritz) and at others we got some channels but not others (eg Mirepoix). We got full reception along the Spanish Basque coast to Zumaia and, as we turned south, we lost all channels.

An interesting point about all this is that we used to get full reception down to about central Catalonia; now we lose it in northern Catalonia. So, although there has been some reduction, it is not as much as we thought might be the case. However, while BBC used to give out a very strong signal, it is now the weakest. BBC2 was always the last of the main channels to go but now all the BBC channels disappear first. In particular, we used to get BBC News and BBC radio all the way to the south coast of Spain (and indeed into Morocco). Now, these channels disappear along with all the other BBC ones. It looks very much as if we will have to rely on slow and buffering internet connection to get our favourite Radio 4 programmes in Almeria! In a nutshell, the independent channels have reduced the footprint but not by a great deal but the BBC has really gone to town!

Of course, all this applies only to an 85cm dish - I don't know how large a dish you would have to have in order to get full reception in the south of Spain but I am guessing it would be too large to fit on my van!

PS why can't you change mistakes in headings???

Last edited:
This is what we have to have in our summer house for the boys 2.8 Photo0867.jpg Think you need one of these John.:cheers:

you should look at the latest satellite footprint, its a lot smaller than you would have thought, thanks to the f...... BBC trying to get money ie, subs from all the expats living in Spain/Portugal whether they will ever achieve that remains to be seen, I have a camos 140 which is now obsolete down the south of France, I was able to get a good signal in L'ESTARTIT Spain, which is about 40 miles over the french border, no more:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

This year after Sat changes with 85cm dish we got Astra 28 to Autreive just South of Tolouse then lost it in Carcasonne and tru Spain and Portugal and got it again on return at Cap Finesterre Northern Spain and then kept it all the way across the North of Spain and up the west Coast of France.

Talking with a British Caravanner using a 2mtr dish in Calpi he was getting all Astra 28 channels.

I have never had a satellite dish so know very little about them, what kit would you recommend and do you have to pay a fee for using a dish.

Hi and welcome back. My FM/AM radio only picks up Radio 4 until about half way down France, so it is actually less use than the dish. However, while offline on this trip we have discovered the joys of the Spanish equivalent of Classic FM, so every cloud and all that! :)

I have never had a satellite dish so know very little about them, what kit would you recommend and do you have to pay a fee for using a dish.

No Fee and there's 100's of channels on a lot of different satellites. If your traveling to Europe its one way to get British TV. As for system depends really on how much you want to spend, I use a manual system others prefer auto

Last edited:
I agree with you about Classic FM - perhaps I should have equated the Spanish station to Radio 3 because it plays whole pieces and no adverts. Very good - as is your French Classique channel. But I don't think I'll bother to try the long pole if y6ou don't mind! :lol-053:

Many years ago while in Spain we bought what was then called a Euro Box I think termed Free To Air box nothing to do with Sky we used it for many years not only to pick up UK channels but 100s of others, I am a dummy on this subject but does anyone use these now.

Just like Big Tom I too am a dumdum. I have been using a freesat box and have no real problems with uk programs. However I understand that a lot of programs in Europe, eg. Holland, transmit films in English. My questions are, 1. Do I need a different receiver in order to receive European programs? 2. Which satellites and what bearings? Thanks Brian.

Just like Big Tom I too am a dumdum. I have been using a freesat box and have no real problems with uk programs. However I understand that a lot of programs in Europe, eg. Holland, transmit films in English. My questions are, 1. Do I need a different receiver in order to receive European programs? 2. Which satellites and what bearings? Thanks Brian.

The box we had was a Samsung it packed up so I threw it away, at Denia market this year I bought one exactly the same for 2e thinking I had kept the remote and user manual but when I got back home I could not find it so I must have got rid of those as well, in Mojacar we could pick up a few English channels and 100’s of others also back home UK , the box connected to the TV via scart I know we could sometimes watch English films which were dubbed in Spanish, It is a box of this nature I am looking for again to get away from Murdoch and Sky, If in Spain we would be satisfied if we could get BBC News 24 CNN and a few others, at the moment we take DVD’s with us for films. We have a portable 90cm dish

Last edited:
if you have a la:)p top, and stop at campsites with wify then download FILMON before you leave and wherever you stop and get wify you can watch whatever channel you like for free, that's what I have been doing in Spain on the campsite, 18 euros unlimited wify for the month, kept my msr happy watching her bloody soaps. :):):):):):):):):):):)

if you have a la:)p top, and stop at campsites with wify then download FILMON before you leave and wherever you stop and get wify you can watch whatever channel you like for free, that's what I have been doing in Spain on the campsite, 18 euros unlimited wify for the month, kept my msr happy watching her bloody soaps. :):):):):):):):):):):)
If you have wifi you can use a plug in for firefox/chrome etc that routes all traffic through the UK and that allows you to watch BBC iplayer, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 just as if you were in the UK, I have been using zenmate while in the South of France and even using FON I managed to watch channels without stuttering.

I am in Mimizan Plage now and receiving almost all satellite channels on a 65cm dish, there are a few odd ones not working so I presume they are on the same transponder but they are programmes we don't watch anyway

I have always used a proxy server to access sites in other Countries which are blocked from the UK or to bypass VM deciding which types of download sites I can use, I knew you used one because we have discussed it before but for anybody new to it zenmate is free and simple to use so I thought it might suit some on here :dance:

When you have the app click on the icon and you can turn it on or off, change location etc very easily and as you can see it says I am in the UK although I am in France

Unfortunately, Zenmate won't say that I'm in France when I'm in the UK.
Disappointing, because not only is the weather generally better in France, but the French TV channel websites will only let me watch news programmes. :(

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back