store cupbaord must-haves

Part of the holiday is going to strange new supermarkets, and seeking out new food to try!
Have fun!

So far this week we've tried pigs cheeks and goat, both were rather nice. :lol-053: did once buy onion rings that turned out to be squid rings! :scared: yuck and yuck again.

So far this week we've tried pigs cheeks and goat, both were rather nice. :lol-053: did once buy onion rings that turned out to be squid rings! :scared: yuck and yuck again.

Goat ??? ..my local Asian butcher trying to get hold of it, one of the most common meats in the world and yet in the Uk seems so difficult to obtain . I once had a fantastic looking dish in Spain mushrooms which i love ...turned out to be liver ...I was a funny colour afterwards. The weir d thing is I will still try it !!...Squid for my money the same cooked properly beautiful but alternatives taste like an old Raleigh innertube lol

Channa

Pig's cheek is delicious - why don't we get it in the UK?

hi channa you will have to come to cornwall . quite alot round here breed goats and have them killed for meat. there is also quite a goat milk trade.
i,m spoilt as a butcher slaughterman then chef in the army etc think most food i have tasted .
ming in tunisia squid in cous cous was delightful.
more you travel the more you find they mix it all differently. even the rice in africa as things added and tastes great.
sometimes best not ask what they are adding .
i still say ox liver cooked like a joint wrapped in fat takes alot of beating . or a stuffed heart ,mmm.
never say no try everything .

you can get pigs cheek in uk ask at a private butchers . it normally gets used in sausages these days . folk dont want it . but its lovely and juicy.
many things like ox cheek get put into other things . its classed as poor peoples meat . folk just wont buy it.

Last edited:
Having a newly acquired liking for herbal and fruit teas as well as traditional i will definitely have that in plentiful supply in the van. :

Fruit and herbal teas are available in most supermarkets in France, it's just 'real' tea that is different.

When we had the farm we had 2 nanny goats and a Billy, when the young ones were born any billys were kept for a few months then to the butcher and cut up and into the freezer.

Fruit and herbal teas are available in most supermarkets in France, it's just 'real' tea that is different.

I second this, I even put two French tea bags in together and still didn't get a good cup. So stock up.

Morrisons sell them :)

Will try and get some when back home. Belly pork was a poor man's meat, but its not so cheap to buy now, now that the TV chefs have used it, as for goat can't see why it's not readily available in the UK, I would also like to try horse meat, yes yes I know I probably already have but I mean actually knowing what I'm eating. :hammer:

france is the place for horsemeat. or always was . my kids used to love it. always bought some on the way through.
i find fore of pork joints in asda were only 2.25 quid a kg before i came away . i slice the joint and make steaks .
cheaper than belly pork.
but belly pork rolled around stuffing is great.
pork is my favourite meat. i do like gammon as well or bacon joints . always bring several when coming away for winter . if you get a good tight cryovac packed joints they keep well in a cool place . dont need a fridge to store them.
score the skin and soak honey into the joint then oven bake mmm.
always my xmas dinner .
or boil in a pressure cooker for boiled ham.
oh well better get the bacon on for sunday uk breakfast.
gets the other campers moaning as they have ran out of bacon . ha ha .

Where are you Alan?
we are at campello north of alicante . by platja mutxavista .
moving tomorrow to south of alicante possibly .
but might not.
very hot here today high 20,s my out side one is showing 36c in the sun.
are you around this year?

Last edited:
we were lucky enough to get a Cadac Safari Chef for xmas but have never cooked on anything like this before (never cooked in the van before either for that matter). We are heading to Europe for a month in Spring and I have the idyllic idea of buying fresh local produce at farmers markets etc but am trying to work out what cupboard basics i need in order to throw some meals together.

so far the list looks like this:
packets of rice
some sort of oil
noodles
pasta
tomato puree
dried mixed herbs

any advice on what to consider would be more than welcome,
Helen
Buy some tins of Condensed soup, and a few packets of Pasta, Just add some milk.

we were lucky enough to get a Cadac Safari Chef for xmas but have never cooked on anything like this before (never cooked in the van before either for that matter). We are heading to Europe for a month in Spring and I have the idyllic idea of buying fresh local produce at farmers markets etc but am trying to work out what cupboard basics i need in order to throw some meals together.

so far the list looks like this:
packets of rice
some sort of oil
noodles
pasta
tomato puree
dried mixed herbs

any advice on what to consider would be more than welcome,
Helen

You can make a great Paella on the Cadac. Either seafood or meat or both together.

Fantastic curry powder

I have discovered a fantastic curry powder this week, I have tried it before and wasn't impressed, but have gone back to basics.

The masala ( spice mix) is called Bassar......available in any Asian grocers, It is a North Indian but predominantly Pakistani spice mix.

If space is limited it is ideal contains cumin coriander chilli cardamom clove etc.

Chicken curry made from scratch Monday with it. and a Keema Bhuna last night.

chicken bassar.jpgbhuna.jpg

A word of caution It can be hot if you get to liberal level teaspoon bit heaped if you like hot to start with you can always add more at the end of cooking if you think it needs it ...but you cant take it out

Channa

I have discovered a fantastic curry powder this week, I have tried it before and wasn't impressed, but have gone back to basics.

The masala ( spice mix) is called Bassar......available in any Asian grocers, It is a North Indian but predominantly Pakistani spice mix.

If space is limited it is ideal contains cumin coriander chilli cardamom clove etc.

Chicken curry made from scratch Monday with it. and a Keema Bhuna last night.

View attachment 48231View attachment 48232

A word of caution It can be hot if you get to liberal level teaspoon bit heaped if you like hot to start with you can always add more at the end of cooking if you think it needs it ...but you cant take it out

Channa
I was sitting here very content seen your photos mouth started watering. Now waiting on delivery bet it's not as good as yours.

No messing about hear fastest Indian delivery in the world I'm sure he drives a Ferrari

Now you see it now ye dontIMG_0099.jpgIMG_0098.jpg

Guess what plate wife had?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back