Storage Options for gear

RichardP

I'm looking for some guidance on storage options please.
We're downsizing to a more compact motorhome which means we don't have any lockers or a boot and I'm concerned that I don't want to be climbing over deckchairs, hook up leads and wedges to get to the dinette. I've considered the following:
1) Bike rack with box - this will limit the load to around 40kg maximum which is probably OK. Bike rack cost approx £400
2) towbar with luggage rack and box - This offers the opportunity to carry a larger box and (apparently) upto 150kg £600 for towbar + £250 for the rack
3) Using a BAG rather than a box - bags available from £50, boxes more like £500
Have you any and thoughts on the best option?

I've never seen anything to make me think a roof box is a good idea tbh, but then I've also not got a garage, and dumped the rear box that came with the van.
Was only thinking out loud, adventure trucks seem to use them quite a bit, roof racks/boxes. Would have thought better with weight low but they don’t see to bother

TBH I find the whole storage issue to be irrelivent, but I think that's simple because having spent so many years as a long distance Truck driver (and I mean long distance, not just Europe) I had to get used to travelling light, I later upgraded (and yes I mean it) to a long distance van driver working with a drivers mate, and living on the road for weeks at a time with even less storage space, although we slept in Hotels we still mainly cooked etc from the van, I use the Motorhome genrerally for up to 3 weeks away, but even so most of the cupboards are empty, our layout gives us both a small wardrobe each and 2 overhead lockers in the bedroom, one of my overheads is used as the wash bin, the other is full for a 3 week trip, my wardrobe has a pair of shoes, a Bose portable speaker and a Lotus F1 rain jacket in it and nowt else.

We have a 2 bike rack and fittings now redundant, offers around £40

Reactions: REC
Nothing extra in ours except some bad weather gear blankets and food plus a 400w electric heater fuses bulbs and usb leads for phones.

I've got a large box for a bike rack just sat in my workshop getting in my way, I'm near Towcester its yours for free if you want it.
If Richard doesn't take you up on your offer I would be interested

Downsizing van normally = downsizing amount of sh1te you can take which you rarely use anyway. When we sold our T5 we had for 10years we found things when emptying it we had never used like our drive away awning we had to have but used twice🤷‍♂️ and just general stuff.

Downsizing van normally = downsizing amount of sh1te you can take which you rarely use anyway. When we sold our T5 we had for 10years we found things when emptying it we had never used like our drive away awning we had to have but used twice🤷‍♂️ and just general stuff.
I cleared out all the cupboards in my Motorhome a few months ago to give it a full 'spring clean' and half the stuff I didn't even realise I had!
Not sure what going to put now in the space left :) (but that hasn't stopped me setting up a load carrier with a big back box on it :rolleyes:)

That is a cute little trailer, mine is about the same base but twice the height. The e bikes fit in without folding.

That is a cute little trailer, mine is about the same base but twice the height. The e bikes fit in without folding.
It is a nice trailer. I found the height was a bit short so I added some panels after a while and got a new deeper cover. Then added some more panels a year or so later.
n58xjWdSMa4p9Wo9lpTylPwNZAnqrOjeMb_Yzk7uiG9rUMXE4whgdOa1ATs9eGJg2FAx_F68hXAFdoE5YWK_IUZrn7f209PZgX-ksjUS328wPz4HVWJb0d8pXNu-Dcn2-xw-WFMgvx-K7GoIw0TuaUsHGHdE4WMZazM_UO-2-5hNtq8wS4x8x2MP_3uff9tP76yMM6wH3xJckesn1UwDshH5BKmfw_t8TahPeKX0qy8DnRFJHv7VeF21H-Pbc422h2C0kMP60K29_bis5Vj0plMNUcseym8J8KezuKluM_buYHd7QG4Z0wtMQ3UJ_3j-ylTHXchQoT45BMFxQukk4WidUaxF8OytMr0q7UN_xuTcFPRJLjiy9BxYSVg4cmSuaHZiLMddRU54YJNnQBqjl9GH41TqC03ocy3vcMYiV5aDhEe3K2GSqxARYBbSkgCvM-3c0GMXaKyKPTCGhGOs4XLxHd3sDN9DWY-V7kN66Q0CkRG334Q6Lji4RuJmb0gZj7MtTptFqbAR0DT9yygTIqTIMXxv3A9RaBZew-NK_17Or2JHgF_RGa58Vboc7kJfAUAljbrzm9PJNXp8bux7tvV3Kr9Pa0i6BtFnOFqASvzqM3xIoWIKl3WXuXc3V9p5fMBalsM8VcCffPtY8rn3TE7e1EtxTfdVE6sP0BpeNyVst7RLbcksgKk3syw2E_pxv8h4sB7hDmU8lCSTyK_Y6tNxUFsv1C0qwTzXf7hgwBJVQRB-VS72G1rigbSgNDfbBWNwe1f7Bk7Ul6WZiOEbd7IBu_2yJFFIe1gy94wXQW_Oi8HKyC_k3THc5HtxuFaofEDs0w2fuOvOpEPAps7xz_QNIHjZkXqzmiqfe8u9LgDWqjjJfp5nxlRQak6B3txp__o6cZMkUaYfShhA-c8uKhMnIw1VduxWsxIHb24ueFfX=s927-no

Currently it is back to original height which is fine to the use I have for it now. The initial double height increase was maybe the handiest as could still see over it through the rear window and but could also see the top corners to make reversing with it a lot easier.

Nice one.

I have no rear window so I have to use the camera for towing and reversing.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back