Stink / Shield bugs

witzend

Stink / Shield bugs Haven't used the van since returning from France Oct last year apart from occasional drive doors open But today started to sort out contents and we've come across dozens of these Stink Bugs So smoke bombs set now ? will they work

Last edited:
Stink / Shield bugs Haven't used the van since returning from France apart from occasional drive doors open But today started to sort out contents and we've come across dozens of these Stink Bugs So smoke bombs set now ? will they work
Don't know whether smoke bombs work, but I found in spring last year that many had hibernated, particularly in rooflight blind/flyscreen unit. Removed that unit, removed stink bugs, replaced unit.

Don't know whether smoke bombs work, but I found in spring last year that many had hibernated, particularly in rooflight blind/flyscreen unit. Removed that unit, removed stink bugs, replaced unit.
Well they've shown them selves everywhere today never seen them before until last year just hope the smoke works have tried 4 double dose will let you know if anymore appear

We have caught around 4-5 of these in the MH since our trips to Sicily in April/May and Germany in September, last year. Not sure where we picked them up from.

We have caught around 4-5 of these in the MH since our trips to Sicily in April/May and Germany in September, last year. Not sure where we picked them up from.
Well we had never seen them before last year and our trip was just spent in central France didn't realise we had brought any home several we have found have been dead others like they've been in hibernation

Unfortunately these things breed prodigiously.

Even if you kill the existing residents more may appear...
Well just had a look left it for 24 hrs after 4 smoke bombs yesterday an found at least a dozen dead which had gotten out from somewhere had a good look everywhere and found 2 more dead in rear roof light. So more bombs ordered for another straffing run over weekend

We keep finding them from last Autumn in France/Spain!!
Well it was France where we picked the blighters up must just have been lucky never to have come across them before. Wonder if anyone knows of a deterrent that works
Just came to us that we where there in August last year an we never have before could it be time of Year?

Last edited:
Well it was France where we picked the blighters up must just have been lucky never to have come across them before. Wonder if anyone knows of a deterrent that works
Just came to us that we where there in August last year an we never have before could it be time of Year?
Having experienced these bugs myself I found that getting rid of them involved both the use of an insecticide and a deep clean of the van. We had to remove all bedding, cushions, carpets and mattresses and treated them. We then removed everything we could from the van and meticulously cleaned every nook and cranny, before applying the insecticide.
Then when we finally got rid of them we had to look at what attracted them into our van in the first place.
Basically they are looking for food and shelter, so we had to ensure that no foodstuffs were left, this included dirty dishes which we were in the habit of leaving until the end of the day. All our food is now stored in plastic containers so none of it gives off odours which attracts them. Another thing which may seem obvious is leaving any doors or windows open without the fly screen, this has to be kept to a minimum. Also we have never taken any of our vans to Europe, we contracted ours in southern England.

Last edited:
Having experienced these bugs myself I found that getting rid of them involved both the use of an insecticide and a deep clean of the van. We had to remove all bedding, cushions, carpets and mattresses and treated them. We then removed everything we could from the van and meticulously cleaned every nook and cranny, before applying the insecticide.
Then when we finally got rid of them we had to look at what attracted them into our van in the first place.
Basically they are looking for food and shelter, so we had to ensure that no foodstuffs were left, this included dirty dishes which we were in the habit of leaving until the end of the day. All our food is now stored in plastic containers so none of it gives off odours which attracts them. Another thing which may seem obvious is leaving any doors or windows open without the fly screen, this has to be kept to a minimum. Also we have never taken any of our vans to Europe, we contracted ours in southern England.
In my experience, they are capable of getting into the flyscreen/blind unit when the rooflight is open and the flyscreen is across, and either getting round the edge while the flyscreen is across or simply waiting until the flyscreen has been moved away and the rooflight closed.

In my experience, they are capable of getting into the flyscreen/blind unit when the rooflight is open and the flyscreen is across, and either getting round the edge while the flyscreen is across or simply waiting until the flyscreen has been moved away and the rooflight closed.
Possibly, but I was not solely referring to these bugs, I was speaking about all bugs when I stated this. But I reckon making it more difficult must be worthwhile.
I appreciate it’s nice on a warm day to look outside without a fly screen, but doing so increases the chances of infestation. Also vans should have forced ventilation for health reasons, these areas also provide access for insects. It’s simply not possible to stop them getting in.
Worth noting that the Scottish midge can get through the fly screen, they’re of no use for them.

Worst thing we get here is daddy long legs or the odd wasp, not good when driving. :eek:

Possibly, but I was not solely referring to these bugs, I was speaking about all bugs when I stated this. But I reckon making it more difficult must be worthwhile.
I appreciate it’s nice on a warm day to look outside without a fly screen, but doing so increases the chances of infestation. Also vans should have forced ventilation for health reasons, these areas also provide access for insects. It’s simply not possible to stop them getting in.
Worth noting that the Scottish midge can get through the fly screen, they’re of no use for them.
Any open aperture has a flyscreen across it and any flying insect that somehow gets in is ejected or eradicated. Absolutely essential, because the alarm system is capable of detecting a fly; numerous false alarms one day on the first trip with it some years ago and have paid great attention ever since!

Back