stiff rooflight winder

We have an autotrail mohawk and i find supporting the weight of the rooflight helps when turning the handle.

get a can of silicone or PTFE spray and use on every moving part. also great for curtain track, drawer runners, anything that moves

Not sure but I think my skylight may be the earlier type.I grease it every spring as it tends to get stiff if left.To do it involves getting on the roof,getting someone to open the skylight from inside which gives access to a long worm drive down one side.I apply light grease to the drive,all linkages and then get my assistant inside to wind it up and down several times.

Someone on one of the other forums was asking about parts for something like this. His had a cable that turned inside a tube. If so it needs cleaning out and greasing to get it all working again. May be worth removing it and having a look rather than just squirting products at it.

Thank you for the advice. I pressed up whilst winding which took the pressure off the mechanism a little and didn't feel like I was going to break something. I took a look from the side whilst perched on top of a step ladder. From what I could see the whole mechanism was covered by a white grease (perhaps similar to what garages seem to spray everywhere on door hinges) The grease looked very dry and baked. Which is perhaps no surprise as it lives in a greenhouse.

I have sprayed all the gearing with silicone cleaner/lubricant used on bike chains and gears. This seems to have freed everything off.

When the weather is better I shall be cleaning the roof and shall have a look to see if I should strip it down as per the advice above.

Paul

I think you would be wise to take the skylight off as soon as the weather allows Paul. It's not a difficult job if you are able to get onto the roof. Take Davids' advice and get hold of the right sized fuel clips to secure the four lugs, because the star washers will shatter when you disturb them. Different sizes are available at (dare I say it) Halfords, quite reasonably.
If you need any help, you can always pop over again, and we can do it between us.
Regards, Rog.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back