Sticking rubber to aluminium

Caz

Help! I am trying to stick two bits of car rubber mat to the steps of the motorhome because my dog keeps slipping off and hurting himself as he can't get a grip on the steps.

I've tried silicon glue stuff which is supposed to stick rubber to aluminium but it hasn't worked.

Can anyone suggest anything else?

trim-fix?

It's a high temperature contact adhesive used for sticking lining carpet to the walls.

I've also used it to stick aluminium facing panels to plywood carcasses.

hi Kainene ;i got a piece of plastic grass and bound it round the step , this doesnt slip even when wet as wet rubber will works for me and woody

Before applying any adhesive, rub the aluminium down with a coarse abrasive or even just a wire brush to give the adhesive something to key to. You don't realise, but aluminium oxidises and forms small dust pieces (this is why your hands get dirty when touching aluminium . When you try to stick to it, all you are doing is sticking to the top layer of dust. Scratching the surface will help clean this dust layer away and give you something to stick to.

Completely agree with DTD, plus.....
If youve already tried a silicone based glue there maybe a prob trying to get anything else to stick to it.
Diregarding the silicone issue, my weapon of choice would be contact adhesive (evo stick) or FIX ALL

Last edited:
After seeing my friend step from her Hymer on to a wet aluminium step and slip off breaking her hip I decided to stick something to mine, first attempt was ok for a few outings but started to peel on the dges so I removed the steps (just the plates, two screws either side, took 5mins) then I used contact adhesive and on each edge I put a piece of aluminium angle, a few screws in the top (couldn't find my pop rivet gun) and holes in the side for the fixing bolts, this has been on for 5yrs now and still ok, it doesn't look as nice as a polished step but nobody has slipped on it yet
View attachment 20739View attachment 20740

you can get a roll of grip stuff at Wickes which sticks well, heavy duty sand paper stuff

Hi, go to a chandlers and get some non-slip deck paint, I used it in the shower as I’m not too good on my feet, works great and you can choose the colour.

Hi, go to a chandlers and get some non-slip deck paint, I used it in the shower as I’m not too good on my feet, works great and you can choose the colour.

This seems like the easy way out and can always be topped up as for falling over in the shower your lucky to have room for that hardly room to turn around in ours falling over almost impossible

Sticking Rubber to Aluminium. (or pretty well anything to anything) ....

Use 'SikaBond AT', Universal, ... Gunnable 300ml tube from building section of that local big DIY store ......

Rgrds,

Rob H.

Theres a huge amount of force exerted onto the step as you stand down onto it.Ive just built a caravan type step, but more square than oblong to make it more sturdy.steel frame,18mm ply top covered with ribbed rubber.

I used Evo Stick to glue some rubber bath mat to the bottom of the dog's metal dinner bowl to stop it skidding round the floor (quarry tiles) about 7 or 8 years ago and it's still doing the job perfectly although the rubber matting is beginning to disintegrate :dog:

Instead of using a tube of Evo Stick I got a pot of it and painted it on liberally - I've long since used up the rest of the pot of it for other things - well worth the cost.

Thanks for all the suggestions, have been shopping today and now have a few options to try, will let you know the outcome.

This seems like the easy way out and can always be topped up as for falling over in the shower your lucky to have room for that hardly room to turn around in ours falling over almost impossible

I will keep mum and not say I have a bath in my motorhome. ....... Which it has

Fingers crossed - I think sticky velcro has solved the problem. Early days yet but so far it seems firm.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back