Stainless Steel Gas Hose?

Sharon the Cat

Now that we have a larger refillable gas bottle and a 6kg Calor as a spare, the refillable has to go at the back of the locker due to the length of the gas hose, making it a bit of a pain when it comes to refilling.
If we are to buy a longer hose is it worth getting a stainless steel one? How long do they last?

Now that we have a larger refillable gas bottle and a 6kg Calor as a spare, the refillable has to go at the back of the locker due to the length of the gas hose, making it a bit of a pain when it comes to refilling.
If we are to buy a longer hose is it worth getting a stainless steel one? How long do they last?
I use stainless steel and the last twice as long as rubber.
Also I have found the hand connector type negating the use of a spanner excellent.

I recently bought a 0.5 m hose with hand connector for £16 on Amazon, not much more than the cost of a rubber one. Longer ones are available.
IMG_1714.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a similar set up with an 11kg Gaslow & a 6 kg Calor. The dealer fitted the Calor behind the Gaslow but I changed this round to make replacing the Calor easier. For a few pounds extra I upgraded all hoses to Stainless. I have a filler mounted on the gas door so refilling is not an issue.

I use stainless steel and the last twice as long as rubber.
Also I have found the hand connector type negating the use of a spanner excellent.

I recently bought a 0.5 m hose with hand connector for £16 on Amazon, not much more than the cost of a rubber one. Longer ones are available.

I have a similar set up with an 11kg Gaslow & a 6 kg Calor. The dealer fitted the Calor behind the Gaslow but I changed this round to make replacing the Calor easier. For a few pounds extra I upgraded all hoses to Stainless. I have a filler mounted on the gas door so refilling is not an issue.

Thanks guys. Can anyone tell me how often you have to renew the stainless steel ones?

Can anyone explain the degradation that affects the stainless steel and requires replacement? I'm aware of the regulation (or is it a code of practice)

Rubber internals I assume Dick, the SS just protects it from kinks and external damage, I'd not bother, plus you have to consider ten years is a long time to keep a van.

Gaslow Stainless Steel Butane Hose
Stronger & lasting longer than rubber, this stainless steel hose will remove the primary cause of regulator failure. Re-condensed gas in rubber hoses can result in oily plasticiser residue blocking your regulator. The flexible stainless steel inner eliminates this. Meets the requirements of the Boat Safety Scheme.
Advantages of Stainless Steel:

• Hose doesn''t need to be changed for 20 years
  • Welded end fittings
  • Zero permeation, therefore no smelly hoses
  • Built to EN10380
Please Note: when replacing a rubber hose with stainless steel on an existing system - always check for contamination in the regulator prior to installation.

Quite frankly why we still use rubber hoses eludes me.
Stainless steel are about 30% more expensive, but safer, last longer, and don’t damage your regulator. Every Motorhome should come with stainless steel in my honest opinion.

One other point, why are we still using spanner’s to change over cylinders.
In my last van the cylinder more or less filled the cupboard. I had to get it out place it in the ground before disconnecting it. Hand tight connectors are safer than those using spanner’s, and far easier to change over. I see £100,000 plus vans supplied with rubber hoses with standard connectors. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:
Hmm, Thank you, good info I hadn't bothered to look up as I've never needed a new hose.

Reactions: REC
Gaslow Stainless Steel Butane Hose
Stronger & lasting longer than rubber, this stainless steel hose will remove the primary cause of regulator failure. Re-condensed gas in rubber hoses can result in oily plasticiser residue blocking your regulator. The flexible stainless steel inner eliminates this. Meets the requirements of the Boat Safety Scheme.
Advantages of Stainless Steel:

• Hose doesn''t need to be changed for 20 years
  • Welded end fittings
  • Zero permeation, therefore no smelly hoses
  • Built to EN10380
Please Note: when replacing a rubber hose with stainless steel on an existing system - always check for contamination in the regulator prior to installation.

Quite frankly why we still use rubber hoses eludes me.
Stainless steel are about 30% more expensive, but safer, last longer, and don’t damage your regulator. Every Motorhome should come with stainless steel in my honest opinion.

One other point, why are we still using spanner’s to change over cylinders.
In my last van the cylinder more or less filled the cupboard. I had to get it out place it in the ground before disconnecting it. Hand tight connectors are safer than those using spanner’s, and far easier to change over. I see £100,000 plus vans supplied with rubber hoses with standard connectors. It makes no sense whatsoever.
Thats OK if you have no problems with your hands. You are failing to take into account the many elderly or disabled who have greatly reduced grip capability and in their cases spanners are far safer and easier.

I had a van with clip on cylinder/regulator, awful things, and I was never confident it was on properly so the secure mushroom and nut suits me better.

Having sent Phill out to measure what length of SS hose we needed, he came back and announced that he'd swapped the cylinders round and the rubber hose was long enough after all. It's not quite 3 years old yet so I have 2 years to make my mind up.
:rolleyes:

I did try to figure why the hose would make any difference in filling it, but with no picture, I couldn't, and your maths it terrible you have seven years before you need a new one, and only then to comply, they don't bang on your door to check :) :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back