Spicy Risotto (Vegetarian) - Only one pot needed

stevie mcg

I "invented" this when we were on our debut campervan 10 week trip to Istanbul

Pot, loadsa good olive oil, fry large onion till soft and clear. Add Red pepper and dried chilli/paprika (we got ours in Budapest open air market - YUM). Salute slowly for 10. Keep stirring and drinking beer/wine (essential)
Add can of chick peas (take them from UK as not always available certainly not in Budapest), can of sweet corn, peas (wee tin or fresh or even frozen)
Saute 5 mins keep stirring and drinking beer/wine
Add stock cube and medium cup of uncooked rice and stir in
Add pint of water and bring to boil and simmer 10 mins
Keep stirring and drinking beer/wine
Eat
My wife LOVES it ....

Pot, loadsa good olive oil, fry large onion till soft and clear. Add Red pepper and dried chilli/paprika (we got ours in Budapest open air market - YUM). Salute slowly for 10. Keep stirring and drinking beer/wine (essential)
Add can of chick peas (take them from UK as not always available certainly not in Budapest), can of sweet corn, peas (wee tin or fresh or even frozen)
Eat
My wife LOVES it ....

Would not having just the beer or wine save on the washing up?

Last edited:
errrrrr 4th action down but depends on how much beer/wine you've had at that point.

Must have been the wine but did you forget to put in the rice? ?

Nope ...It says

Eat
My wife LOVES it ....

Seems rather pompous to salute it for 10 mins, but it sounds yummy, think we'll try it tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe:nicethread:

Finally got round to trying this one on Thurs evening, but made far too much for the two of us. It was very nice and we enjoyed it very much, but we had so much left over.
Couldn't resist the temptation to change the recipe by adding more stock, (chicken stock), adding small pieces of cooked chicken, and having it for lunch on Friday. Absolutely delicious!
Many thanks for posting the recipe!

Regards Rog.

Adding a pint of water at once is not really the classic way of making a risotto !! .....I personally would make a chicken stock, a pint is fine and you add it a little at a time the rice soaks up the stock add a little more...arborio rice is the risotto rice and 18 -20 minutes is the time it takes to cook as a rule. The rice shouldnt be crunchy but still have a bit of bite al dente

by adding a pint of stock at once you lower the temperature of the pan ,also the stock evaporates in part rather than nurture the rice !!.....a little tip is when you add stock pour it to the edge of the pan..its the heat thing again !!

at the finish freshly grated parmesan gives that texture and gloss

Channa

Last edited by a moderator:
Any leftovers can be made into Arancini - google the recipes there are hundreds of variants/

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back