Speedy Cables

Speedy Cables are a long established company, have used then quite a few times over the years, but not for about ten years now. Their service in past has generally been first class, and the stuff we sent them was far from 'run of the mill', but that doesn't mean that they have gone down hill lately, or be experiencing problems due to CV-19.

Well is shortening a handbrake cable fairly run-of-the-mill job or not? :unsure:

I'm no engineer, but it doesn't sound like it should be a big deal.

It's the total lack of communication that is by far the biggest problem in my book, not just the length of time taken to turn round a specific job.

Reckon I could have got a local engineering firm to do the job in hindsight, but Speedy was recommended by someone on the forum.

C'est la vie. Nobody's fault.
But 'Speedy' is definitely not the most appropriate moniker for their firm right now, that's for sure.;)😁

Well is shortening a handbrake cable fairly run-of-the-mill job or not? :unsure:

It's the total lack of communication that is by far the biggest problem in my book, not just the length of time taken to turn round a specific job.

Reckon I could have got a local engineering firm to do the job in hindsight, but Speedy was recommended by someone on the forum.

But 'Speedy' is definitely not the most appropriate moniker for their firm right now, that's for sure.;)😁

A couple of minutes with the correct equipment.

Last edited:

To make or convert brake components for road use requires very expensive insurance! Simple soldering is not good enough. You'll also need the correct size furrell and tool to protect the outer cable.

It's a hand brake.
Can't remember the last time I used one properly on the move out on the road.
I park 100% of the time with vehicle left in gear.

I know, I know! That's not the point, I'm being a bit flippant with those remarks, so no lectures thanks 🙃😉

Anyway, is it or is it not a particularly difficult job for a professional firm with all the right tools and gear?

A direct answer to the question from any engineers in the know out there would be appreciated.
Simple yes or no will suffice? 😉 🙂

I should note that for simple jobs, we quite often made up the cables our self if we had the parts to hand, in the workshop there's still a drawer full of nipples and ferules, plus hydraulic and mechanical swaging tools.
p.s. I would have thought it was a simple enough job, but then I haven't seen the cable.

That video that I linked to was a little tongue in cheek as I'm well aware that car and van brake cables are not made that way but have a ferrule type end that is either crimped or possibly silver soldered but would be made off much quicker than in that video.

I should note that for simple jobs, we quite often made up the cables our self if we had the parts to hand, in the workshop there's still a drawer full of nipples and ferules, plus hydraulic and mechanical swaging tools.
p.s. I would have thought it was a simple enough job, but then I haven't seen the cable.

This is the sort of new cable sourced by the garage then sent on to Speedy for alteration.

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/bra...n-relay-rear-hand-brake-cable-1314983080.html

What needs changing? If it's just the inner cable it's a 'five minute job', assuming they have the nipple in stock, which knowing Speedy of old they would have.

Yes, it's just the inner cable that needs shortening (y)

Can you see why I'm baffled at the length of time they're taking?
They've had the cable on their premises for nearly 3 and a half weeks now.

Yes, it's just the inner cable that needs shortening (y)

Can you see why I'm baffled at the length of time they're taking?
They've had the cable on their premises for nearly 3 and a half weeks now.
It will be nothing to do with the time taken to do the actual job, it will be either too much work on, bad management, or shortage of ferrules. In these times who knows? BTW soon be 1 year anniversary of trying to get my iSat dish control unit updated, I'm now told the parts are 'in the post' from Italy. Luckily it doesn't matter for using the van.

Well, a bit of a lengthy saga here.

Posted our new and old handbrake cables for the van off to Speedy Cables on 1st September, tracked delivery 1st class.
It arrived on their premises on 2nd September.

Never heard a dicky bird since, so after 2 weeks I phoned them up last Monday 14th September only to be told by the lass who answered the phone that she had no record of our cable job on her current list (whatever that list was!). She also said that she didn't have the job list for the following week, but that she would chase it up.

She also said that the chap who had originally contacted me when I made the initial enquiry about the job had just gone on 2 weeks annual leave. But apparently he would be forwarding on to her the list of jobs to be completed in his absence and she would make sure our job was on the list.

That was a week ago. So still no word back on progress as of this morning, 3 weeks after the cables arriving on their premises.

Meanwhile, the garage where the van is in lockup awaiting the return of the shortened cable to be fitted (and then MOT certificate successfully issued) has phoned me this afternoon to see what the progress is on the cable and to tell me that they are getting tight for space in the lockup as they are snowed under with work. The garage also tells me that Speedy Cables phoned them last Monday to confirm the requirements for the cable. Bear in mind that I had enclosed a very descriptive letter for Speedy Cables, outlining exactly what was required in terms of adjusting the length of the new cable, but also included the contact details for the garage in case they needed to discuss any further 'technical' details. Looks like Speedy Cables have done this in order to check that my instructions were correct, which indeed they were.

So I phone Speedy Cables this afternoon. The same girl answered the phone. She tells me she doesn't yet have the list of jobs from the Cable section and states that she will have to visit the workshop to pick it up and see if our cable job is on it. She takes my number and promises to phone back.

That was at 3pm. It is now 16:15pm and no word back. I will see if anything transpires before the end of the working day (5pm?? Who knows these days!). I wonder how far away the Cable Section is from the Reception Desk?

So, 3 weeks and still waiting. Exactly how much time and effort does it take to shorten 2 lengths of brake cable by 200mm and fit two new nipples?
I'm no engineer, but surely it can't be that much of a massive, time consuming job? :unsure:

Anyway. I'm coming to the conclusion that Speedy Cables is becoming a sight misnomer! ;) 😂 😉

I know we are having to make allowances because of C-19, but really?!
They may have staff shortages, or are similarly snowed under with too much work.

Fair enough, both of those I can understand, but it's the lack of communication to tell you what's happening that I actually find the most irritating. 😡 😝
You could have walked to mine, (i would have made you a cuppa while you waited) and walked back home with the shortened cables quicker.

Result !!!

Just had a phone call from Speedy.
Cable is ready, I've now paid for it and it will be arriving here tomorrow (y) (y) (y) 😃

Goodness knows what the reason was for it taking too long, but I didn't bother asking, I was just over the moon the job is done.

In the great scheme of things in the world just now, I do realise my moaning about this is a minor issue.
A lot of things are taking ages to be sorted, that's the world we live in now.
There was probably a reasonable explanation, but I don't care any more now.... wheeeee!

Hopefully by the weekend the van will be ......

They obviously trawl social media and saw how their reputation was suffering hear and thought that if they didn't sort yours their business would be down the pan 😀

Glad your sorted out ,very surprised at your carry on with them as I couldn't rate them highly enough with the service I got marie but it was b4 all this crud going on

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back