Speed Warning

The thing that gets me about these 20mph speed limits is that, implicit in the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 Section 35(2) is the minimum speed speedometers must indicate, which is 25mph. The original concept (AIUI) for 20mph limits in urban settings was that these were not absolutely enforceable but rather would be 'enforced' by means of speed humps and other traffic calming. Yet now (e.g. in Laira, Plymouth) we have roads designed for and previously limited to 40mph which now have 20mph limits that generate a lot of cash for the council...
Fines go to the consolidation fund, that is where they get the money to pay Zelensky and his thieves the billions tha they get, also that is where the UK government get the general taxation to pay Rothschild and company the ‘interest’ on the ‘debt they borrowed on money made out of thin air.

Meanwhile, in SE Cornwall, we have AI camera arrays to detect mobile phone use and people not wearing seat belts. These seem to be the same units as used in New South Wales that have wrongly penalised people who AI considered were using mobile phones but weren't and/or wearing seat belts covered or blended in with their clothing. Here's a piccy of one (AFAICT, this is on the Western end of Landrake, near Saltash) and links to a couple of stories: In one, it seems the victim doesn't have a mobile phone or computer but had to give a friends phone and email address to appeal; which was promptly denied because "he must have a mobile phone as he'd given them his number!" (You couldn't make this 5417 up!) The case was dropped after the media got involved. In another, the guy's phone is clearly in a hands-free cradle and he has something else in his hand.

1724833434454.png

Hmmmmm, are you saying you are not aware when you are speeding? 😂😂😂
I'm not Neil, I've go a very low attention.........

What was the question?
I think what Rob is trying to say Neil is that he just doesn't give a damn.

If he did give a damn about anything at all, he would do something about that unruly mop of grey hair of his and not look like an old woman at the fish market!
And he smells of pish fish.

:oops:

Meanwhile, in SE Cornwall, we have AI camera arrays to detect mobile phone use and people not wearing seat belts. These seem to be the same units as used in New South Wales that have wrongly penalised people who AI considered were using mobile phones but weren't and/or wearing seat belts covered or blended in with their clothing. Here's a piccy of one (AFAICT, this is on the Western end of Landrake, near Saltash) and links to a couple of stories: In one, it seems the victim doesn't have a mobile phone or computer but had to give a friends phone and email address to appeal; which was promptly denied because "he must have a mobile phone as he'd given them his number!" (You couldn't make this 5417 up!) The case was dropped after the media got involved. In another, the guy's phone is clearly in a hands-free cradle and he has something else in his hand.

View attachment 134534

In both of those cases, if it was in UK, they would have been guilty of an offence.

The thing that gets me about these 20mph speed limits is that, implicit in the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 Section 35(2) is the minimum speed speedometers must indicate, which is 25mph.
That's a misunderstanding. Motor vehicles that can't gpo faster than 25mph dpn't need a speedometer, but for those that need a speedo, it has tyo work at all speeds.

The reason for a 20mph limit is clear and sensible. Pedestrians mostly survive accidents at 20mph but tend to be seriously injured in accidents at 30 mph.

I reckon it's the 30 limit that should be scrapped. The limit should be 20 or 40, depending on the situation.

I think what Rob is trying to say Neil is that he just doesn't give a damn.

If he did give a damn about anything at all, he would do something about that unruly mop of grey hair of his and not look like an old woman at the fish market!
And he smells of pish fish.

:oops:

How very dare you Ral!

You're just jealous coz I'm better looking than you - and it's not Fish it's odour toilet!

That's a misunderstanding. Motor vehicles that can't gpo faster than 25mph dpn't need a speedometer, but for those that need a speedo, it has tyo work at all speeds.

The reason for a 20mph limit is clear and sensible. Pedestrians mostly survive accidents at 20mph but tend to be seriously injured in accidents at 30 mph.

I reckon it's the 30 limit that should be scrapped. The limit should be 20 or 40, depending on the situation.
IMO your response is typical of speed fixation. Speed is a secondary factor of road safety in that if you adhere to all the primary factors, you invariably drive at a safe speed for the conditions. The meme about peds surviving accidents at 20mph but being seriously injured at 30mph ignores the fact that they tend to be unharmed if you miss them at 40 or even more! The authorities concentrate on absolutes while doing next to nothing about actual dangerous driving, from which many motorists infer that all they need do to be good, safe drivers is keep to the speed limit, not use a mobile phone, etc.; that the authorities have somehow warranted the speed limit to be a safe speed under all conditions; and COAST goes out of the window...

Not necessarily and in either case the offence with which they were charged should fail.
In the first case the driver says he thinks he was eating a choc ice, in the second the driver is obviously looking at a handheld device, in both cases the drivers could be prosecuted.

In the first case the driver says he thinks he was eating a choc ice, in the second the driver is obviously looking at a handheld device, in both cases the drivers could be prosecuted.
Neither is a de-facto offence and in both cases the driver was innocent of the offence with which they were charged. Driving without due care and attention might be an appropriate charge, but the prosecution would need to show that the driving was significantly below the standard of a hypothetical competent driver and it is not enough to merely show the driver was eating or holding something other than a mobile phone.

IMO your response is typical of speed fixation. Speed is a secondary factor of road safety in that if you adhere to all the primary factors, you invariably drive at a safe speed for the conditions.
IMO /your/ response is typical of speed fixation.

There ought to be no crashes. If everyone followed the rules, they wouldn't happen.

In the real world, however, bad stuff does happen.

A safe speed to drive at in the conditions is not the point at issue.

It's about a safe speed to be travelling at when something goes wrong and a vehicle collides with a pedestrian.

Yes, speed is indeed a secondary factor, but that doesn't make it not a very important factor.

Don't know if its been posted before but driving home along the south cornish coast came upon a new piece of 20 mph speed limit with the new signs which usually just tell you your speed higher or lower this one also displayed my reg number luckly I was under 20 but could it have gone further ?
the police in Bradford said he was doing twice the speed limit the clocked him at 40mph

IMO /your/ response is typical of speed fixation.

There ought to be no crashes. If everyone followed the rules, they wouldn't happen.

In the real world, however, bad stuff does happen.

A safe speed to drive at in the conditions is not the point at issue.

It's about a safe speed to be travelling at when something goes wrong and a vehicle collides with a pedestrian.

Yes, speed is indeed a secondary factor, but that doesn't make it not a very important factor.
You only prove my point. The fixation on speed is (in at least some cases) downright dangerous. A road not too far from where I live was accident-free for about two decades ... until the local authority made it a 20mph zone and installed 'traffic calming'. Within a few months a young boy was knocked over and crippled. The person who told me about the case related that the driver had claimed the boy had just run out in front of her car and she hadn't spotted the danger because she was concentrating so hard on negotiating the traffic calming measures and ensuring she was doing 20mph. RTCs now occur regularly along that road. In another case, a woman collided with the rear of a car that was emerging from a side road. Partly to blame was the council for installing a build-out that forced the emerging car to take a position where it was obscured by a wall and also where the driver had limited visibility. The woman who had 'right of way' claimed she couldn't possibly bear any blame because she was obeying the speed limit! She hit the rear of the emerging car -- so she would have had time to stop if only she had used COAST to assess the situation and adjust her driving accordingly. A hundred yards or so from that scene is another where the brain-dead council (in the interest of 'road safety') installed a build-out that reduces the carriageway width so that a large vehicle emerging can't clear fully -- and I now regularly see broken glass and other evidence of collisions where few, if any, previously occurred. The establishment fixating on speed sends a very dangerous message -- that all you need do to be a 'safe, good driver' is obey the speed limit...

Speed is a very dangerous proxy for road safety. Of course, you shouldn't bust the speed limit as that's against the law. However, rely solely on the speed limit and bad stuff is inevitable; drive with COAST and bad stuff is much, much less likely.

There have been several 'traffic calming' measures which have been removed in our area, this was because they caused the opposite of calming the traffic, with drivers 'racing' to pinch points. One stretch of road had the speed bumps reduced as they where so aggressive cars where being damaged at less than 15mph. The thing is the measures weren't put in on a whim, they where put in on roads which had problems with cars driving too fast, yes I stick to that statement of cars driving too fast, we are talking of cars driving at 50 or 60 mph in residential 30mph limits.

You only prove my point. The fixation on speed is (in at least some cases) downright dangerous. A road not too far from where I live was accident-free for about two decades ... until the local authority made it a 20mph zone and installed 'traffic calming'. Within a few months a young boy was knocked over and crippled. The person who told me about the case related that the driver had claimed the boy had just run out in front of her car and she hadn't spotted the danger because she was concentrating so hard on negotiating the traffic calming measures and ensuring she was doing 20mph. RTCs now occur regularly along that road. In another case, a woman collided with the rear of a car that was emerging from a side road. Partly to blame was the council for installing a build-out that forced the emerging car to take a position where it was obscured by a wall and also where the driver had limited visibility. The woman who had 'right of way' claimed she couldn't possibly bear any blame because she was obeying the speed limit! She hit the rear of the emerging car -- so she would have had time to stop if only she had used COAST to assess the situation and adjust her driving accordingly. A hundred yards or so from that scene is another where the brain-dead council (in the interest of 'road safety') installed a build-out that reduces the carriageway width so that a large vehicle emerging can't clear fully -- and I now regularly see broken glass and other evidence of collisions where few, if any, previously occurred. The establishment fixating on speed sends a very dangerous message -- that all you need do to be a 'safe, good driver' is obey the speed limit...

Speed is a very dangerous proxy for road safety. Of course, you shouldn't bust the speed limit as that's against the law. However, rely solely on the speed limit and bad stuff is inevitable; drive with COAST and bad stuff is much, much less likely.

There has been a chicane type speed restrictor not far from us for about 25 years now. It has been placed on a bend next to a pub car park and forces cars to go onto the wrong side of the road on a bend - there have been several collisions at the chicane many of them head on.

Many, many complaints have been made about this over the years but the council are so bloody minded that they won't remove it - probably because that would mean admitting that they had been so unbelievably stupid to put it there in the first place.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:213)

Robmac, yeoblade, Val54, shortcircuit, flying kipper, Boris7, Scotia, colinm, davep10000, kevlakes, chipvan, JVG, Jo001, r4dent, mark61, bdastu, st3v3, trevskoda, Topmast, Mobilvetta, NSY, Martin P, pamjon, Sean, barryd, Canalsman, aross, terrywolf, caledonia, clarkpeacock, Pauljenny, belbri, mike w, TeamRienza, Fisherman, Monkeybrand, ironman, RichardHelen262, Owen M, number14, linkshouse, merl, Mossystone, RSD7a, Fifer, WendyD, Fazerloz, GeoffL, molly 2, The laird, Obanboy666, kensowerby, campervanannie, runnach, Wooie1958, Glass man, marchie, Norfolk NewBoy, calvo, ajb70, Heppy, jeffmossy, 2cv, agm62, alcam, AllanD, Bigshug, myvanwy, Drover, guerdeval, mariesnowgoose, GMJ, Tim120, BigD003, cornish hymer, Charlynch, oppy, andyjanet, chrishunter, mistericeman, TJBi, Alberto, winks, ewen, scampa, Nabsim, saxonborg, noah and nelly, Debroos, smycker, Andys, Makzine, jann, alwaysared, hank, iampatman, BOTCANU, edina, paulhelenwilko, kingfisher1, Neckender, V1nny, Tezza33, Ellendale, BKCharles, douron, Owlsnest56, granth, stroller, hamsterberg27, Ken Parsons, jacquigem, Rob H, Palette, CraigGould, Bilw, Hymer Snobs, Sharon the Cat, Lefty, Dix, Mick H, AnniePhoo, jagmanx, Tapfitter, GWAYGWAY, BM48, LesleyC, izwozral, AndyJL, Benylin, trooper2000, vtwinner, Rumour, SimonM, Gadabout2, yogibear, DaveP, ricc, exwindsurfer, EllieM, zzr1400tim, Geek, wildebus, Okta, Peter51, Matchlock, Harrers, popeye1958, smackaylvit, barrypat, rambrose, Livotlout, Salvage1, Caz, Bazza1509, Stewpot, roady987, Rod, Dougbobbill, Wully, noarlunga, yorkslass, Jmick, Wildrock, Lib, Weefifer, DTF, Sue Paskins, Di1234, mick n jules, Thistle, Alun100, Rutaria, MrBradley, 2Coops, Ex Greeny, Debs, peejay, VandA, amcjam, DAVEY, Wardy73, WingNut, smg, UFO, Costers, Dave7284, Redcallaway1, Ted, helmit, Peisinoe, SquirrellCook, roadroamer, bjh, Trotter, Big yin, TissyD, phtron, Munroz, buellzebub, HurricaneSmith, jimireland, adriahome, SGSmith, 1807truckman, freebird, sueb, Rivertowy, Vivall, Pudsey Bear, gettingolder2, bilbo, Slowho,
Back