Speed Warning

witzend

Don't know if its been posted before but driving home along the south cornish coast came upon a new piece of 20 mph speed limit with the new signs which usually just tell you your speed higher or lower this one also displayed my reg number luckly I was under 20 but could it have gone further ?

The thing that gets me about these 20mph speed limits is that, implicit in the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 Section 35(2) is the minimum speed speedometers must indicate, which is 25mph. The original concept (AIUI) for 20mph limits in urban settings was that these were not absolutely enforceable but rather would be 'enforced' by means of speed humps and other traffic calming. Yet now (e.g. in Laira, Plymouth) we have roads designed for and previously limited to 40mph which now have 20mph limits that generate a lot of cash for the council...

The thing that gets me about these 20mph speed limits is that, implicit in the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 Section 35(2) is the minimum speed speedometers must indicate, which is 25mph. The original concept (AIUI) for 20mph limits in urban settings was that these were not absolutely enforceable but rather would be 'enforced' by means of speed humps and other traffic calming. Yet now (e.g. in Laira, Plymouth) we have roads designed for and previously limited to 40mph which now have 20mph limits that generate a lot of cash for the council...

My interpretation of Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 Section 35(2) is somewhat different.
That section of C&U is about vehicles exempt from having a speedometer.
Basically a vehicle which cannot exceed (for legal or mechanical reasons) 25mph is not required to have a speedometer fitted.
"(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to—
(a)a vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph;
(b)a vehicle which it is at all times unlawful to drive at more than 25 mph;"

Which raises the question of what happens if the driver of a vehicle with a max speed of 25 mph does it in a 20 mph zone.
He/she doesn't have a speedo telling him/her that the limit is being exceeded.

Which raises the question of what happens if the driver of a vehicle with a max speed of 25 mph does it in a 20 mph zone.
He/she doesn't have a speedo telling him/her that the limit is being exceeded.
This is why I consider the C&U regs to imply that the minimum speed a speedometer must register is 25 mph since vehicles that cannot or may not go faster are not required to have a working speedometer and so cannot, logically, know whether they are exceeding the limit.

The original concept (AIUI) for 20mph limits in urban settings was that these were not absolutely enforceable but rather would be 'enforced' by means of speed humps and other traffic calming. Yet now (e.g. in Laira, Plymouth) we have roads designed for and previously limited to 40mph which now have 20mph limits that generate a lot of cash for the council...
As I have posted before, a local town had 20mph limits 20+ years ago, initially these began right on the exit of roundabouts, because of the nature of roads many people didn't even notice the signs, me amongst them, it was only an article in local news about non compliance that alerted most people to them, the police at the time said they where not going to be issuing fines for speeding in 20mph areas. Since then the 20mph limit has evolved to cover a larger area, interestingly the traffic calming in the 20 limit is minimal, but outside of that in the 30 limit there is aggressive traffic calming which slows the traffic down to 20mph, or in the case of one stretch of road 10mph.

This is why I consider the C&U regs to imply that the minimum speed a speedometer must register is 25 mph since vehicles that cannot or may not go faster are not required to have a working speedometer and so cannot, logically, know whether they are exceeding the limit.
It is a very large leap from "vehicles that cannot exceed 25mph are not required have a speedometer" to "speedometers do not have to register speeds below 25 mph on any vehicle,"

In the 60+ years since passing my test I have owned/driven/ridden/been a passenger in many many vehicles capable of more than 25mph and all have had speedos that start at 0 mph.

But, as I said, these our our two very different interpreations of C&U.

Anyone who is concerned must make their on decisions.

Don't know if its been posted before but driving home along the south cornish coast came upon a new piece of 20 mph speed limit with the new signs which usually just tell you your speed higher or lower this one also displayed my reg number luckly I was under 20 but could it have gone further ?
It was this type of sign with a number plate size sign underneath which lit up and displayed my number plate
1724787237814.png

Where abouts in Cornwall as I,m on the south side of Cornwall myself. They had the camera operated by a police motorcycle out today on a small bridge between the roundabout for Withial/Bodmin and Glynn Valley exit this morning. Perfectly straight piece of road . It is indeed a money making racket . Apparently when the cameras in Truro and Perranworthal were cut down , they lost that much revenue that the order was given to send every available speed camera out on high hit / easy prey roads .

Where abouts in Cornwall as I,m on the south side of Cornwall myself.
i was coming bac to Truro from Praa Sands have had a look at google which shows them at Ashton & Breage but I remember it as new and neither of them look new just like google maps

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:213)

Robmac, yeoblade, Val54, shortcircuit, flying kipper, Boris7, Scotia, colinm, davep10000, kevlakes, chipvan, JVG, Jo001, r4dent, mark61, bdastu, st3v3, trevskoda, Topmast, Mobilvetta, NSY, Martin P, pamjon, Sean, barryd, Canalsman, aross, terrywolf, caledonia, clarkpeacock, Pauljenny, belbri, mike w, TeamRienza, Fisherman, Monkeybrand, ironman, RichardHelen262, Owen M, number14, linkshouse, merl, Mossystone, RSD7a, Fifer, WendyD, Fazerloz, GeoffL, molly 2, The laird, Obanboy666, kensowerby, campervanannie, runnach, Wooie1958, Glass man, marchie, Norfolk NewBoy, calvo, ajb70, Heppy, jeffmossy, 2cv, agm62, alcam, AllanD, Bigshug, myvanwy, Drover, guerdeval, mariesnowgoose, GMJ, Tim120, BigD003, cornish hymer, Charlynch, oppy, andyjanet, chrishunter, mistericeman, TJBi, Alberto, winks, ewen, scampa, Nabsim, saxonborg, noah and nelly, Debroos, smycker, Andys, Makzine, jann, alwaysared, hank, iampatman, BOTCANU, edina, paulhelenwilko, kingfisher1, Neckender, V1nny, Tezza33, Ellendale, BKCharles, douron, Owlsnest56, granth, stroller, hamsterberg27, Ken Parsons, jacquigem, Rob H, Palette, CraigGould, Bilw, Hymer Snobs, Sharon the Cat, Lefty, Dix, Mick H, AnniePhoo, jagmanx, Tapfitter, GWAYGWAY, BM48, LesleyC, izwozral, AndyJL, Benylin, trooper2000, vtwinner, Rumour, SimonM, Gadabout2, yogibear, DaveP, ricc, exwindsurfer, EllieM, zzr1400tim, Geek, wildebus, Okta, Peter51, Matchlock, Harrers, popeye1958, smackaylvit, barrypat, rambrose, Livotlout, Salvage1, Caz, Bazza1509, Stewpot, roady987, Rod, Dougbobbill, Wully, noarlunga, yorkslass, Jmick, Wildrock, Lib, Weefifer, DTF, Sue Paskins, Di1234, mick n jules, Thistle, Alun100, Rutaria, MrBradley, 2Coops, Ex Greeny, Debs, peejay, VandA, amcjam, DAVEY, Wardy73, WingNut, smg, UFO, Costers, Dave7284, Redcallaway1, Ted, helmit, Peisinoe, SquirrellCook, roadroamer, bjh, Trotter, Big yin, TissyD, phtron, Munroz, buellzebub, HurricaneSmith, jimireland, adriahome, SGSmith, 1807truckman, freebird, sueb, Rivertowy, Vivall, Pudsey Bear, gettingolder2, bilbo, Slowho,
Back