Speed stickers for vans over 3500kg

CavityandLacey

I have started the process of up rating my motorhome which is a Fiat Ducato panel van conversion 6.3m in length, previously plated at 3500kg to 4250kg. I intend to travel to various European countries in the summer and have started my research regarding speed stickers and angles mort rules. Many countries have different speed limit sticker requirement and i wondered if anyone knows of a magnetic supplier as most of the ones I have seen online say ‘sticker’ i.e they wont come off easily which will make if difficult to chop and change as I cross borders. Any advice would be greatfully received.

I also have another question regarding tolls. It seems that I will have to move up a category now that the van has been up rated but from what I can see, my wee van isn’t tall enough to fit the rules for the next category. From previous trips I didn’t notice anyone weighing my van or measuring how high it was. How do others in the same type of moho as me get on at toll roads?

You will only require the 'Angles Morts' signs. Speed limit signs are not required for foreign registered vehicles.

As I understand it the toll charge is based on the height of the vehicle and is measured as you approach the toll booth. Motorhomes are defined as Class 2.

Technically you would be Class 3 (in France certainly) as you will be over 3500kg as it is based on height AND weight.

However as they do not weigh at toll booths you will be fine. If it comes up as Class 3 when you pull into a toll booth just press the Help Button and explain (in English, French or Franglais) and they will put it down to Class 2.

We have a Bip&Go tag and use it on France, Spain and Italy (we haven't been to Portugal to use it yet) and it always comes up as Class 2 and we are 5000kg. On one occasion when we forgot to take it, I used the Help Button as above and it worked. I remember on a long stretch of MWay in France it was exactly €100 difference...so well worth pressing the button!

You can get magnetic Angles Mort signs. Try Ebay. I use 2 on the cab doors and a self adhesive one on the rear as it's a coachbuilt, so not magnetic.

https://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm gives the rules which make no mention of Motorhomes (the 'Category 2' claim is actually a con trick but Motorhome owners seem happy to use it)

The factors used are height, weight and number of axles; there is another Rules Explanation Sheet that has a line drawing of the dimensions calculation and this confirms that Satellite dishes and other roof furniture are excluded from the Tariff calculation, so 2.96m plus 10cm Satellite dish is still charged as Category 2, as long as the vehicle weight and number of axles criteria are met

Steve

That stuff about satellite dishes etc is good to know. Thanks Steve (y)
I thought the Search would produce the Sheet with the Line drawing, Graham, but it may be a previous year's publication; which is a shame because the explanatory text quoted reference to 'manufacturer's base vehicle dimensions' et al

Steve

Reactions: GMJ
https://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm gives the rules which make no mention of Motorhomes (the 'Category 2' claim is actually a con trick but Motorhome owners seem happy to use it)

The factors used are height, weight and number of axles; there is another Rules Explanation Sheet that has a line drawing of the dimensions calculation and this confirms that Satellite dishes and other roof furniture are excluded from the Tariff calculation, so 2.96m plus 10cm Satellite dish is still charged as Category 2, as long as the vehicle weight and number of axles criteria are met

Steve
I wonder if ANPR might be used in France to determine the GVW?

This would fail, of course, with UK plated vehicles...

Back