Spanish tolls

myvanwy

Looks like removing the tolls on the Spanish road network may have been short lived thanks to Brussels. Just read this article from a Spanish site...

It has NOT been confirmed yet if in all these motorways there will tolls, this is the only information we have;
"Brussels has confirmed that Spanish authorities will be required to introduce new tolls in 2024. This decision comes as part of the European Union's effort to address environmental concerns and fund sustainable infrastructure projects.
The implementation of new tolls aims to reduce traffic congestion and carbon emissions, encouraging the use of public transportation and eco-friendly alternatives. By introducing these tolls, Spain seeks to promote more efficient and environmentally conscious means of transportation.
However, the announcement has sparked debates among citizens and industry stakeholders. While some argue that the tolls could be a necessary step towards a greener future, others express concerns about potential impacts on commuters and businesses.
Spains roads.jpg

Will have to break out the Spanish toll tag.

Looks like removing the tolls on the Spanish road network may have been short lived thanks to Brussels. Just read this article from a Spanish site...

It has NOT been confirmed yet if in all these motorways there will tolls, this is the only information we have;
"Brussels has confirmed that Spanish authorities will be required to introduce new tolls in 2024. This decision comes as part of the European Union's effort to address environmental concerns and fund sustainable infrastructure projects.
The implementation of new tolls aims to reduce traffic congestion and carbon emissions, encouraging the use of public transportation and eco-friendly alternatives. By introducing these tolls, Spain seeks to promote more efficient and environmentally conscious means of transportation.
However, the announcement has sparked debates among citizens and industry stakeholders. While some argue that the tolls could be a necessary step towards a greener future, others express concerns about potential impacts on commuters and businesses.
View attachment 121833
Will have to break out the Spanish toll tag.
Doubtful accuracy. 'Brussels' has no locus in a Member State's domestic politics/competence [hence the false 'EU State Pension equalisation' Threads that surface every 6 weeks or so] and the graphic says 'Government of Sanchez', which suggests that it is the Spanish Government decision/policy. So nothing to do with Brussels, but nice that other than UK Government blamed everything on Brussels ...

IIRC, when the Tolls were removed a couple of years ago, there was a Spanish Government Press Release or similar indicating that there would be a national consultation on whether to reintroduce and the method of payment etc

EDIT: If the decision or Directive came from Brussels, it would also require a uniform policy on charging for at least the Schengen Zone, probably EU wide. And that would extend to a common EU road numbering system [rather than the Member State national system in parallel with the European Standard] and EU wide Speed Limits. All 3 of these areas fall within the domestic Government Competence of the individual Member State

Steve

When we lived in Marbella I was amazed at how much traffic moved off the toll roads when they raised the price during the tourist season.

Gordon

From what I can see the EU are not forcing member states to charge tolls, they are however mandating how tolls should be charged for those that do.

just avoid all toll roads.
there is always other roads and usually nicer scenery etc, to go with them.
mind i avoid just about all motorways abroad and in uk.
used to use them while driving as a truck driver but personal travel enjoy the country.

Knowing the Spanish as I do I can't see them taking much notice of Brussels anyway. Most of the toll booths have been demolished. Maybe Brussels will pay for new ones ?
IIRC, part of the originally proposed consultation was the method of payment if Tolls were to be reintroduced. And, since it has nothing to do with Brussels, being a purely domestic Government policy, the EU would not contribute, other than by way of the wider Regional Development budgets, or other infrastructure funding pots that are available to all Member States

Steve

IIRC, part of the originally proposed consultation was the method of payment if Tolls were to be reintroduced. And, since it has nothing to do with Brussels, being a purely domestic Government policy, the EU would not contribute, other than by way of the wider Regional Development budgets, or other infrastructure funding pots that are available to all Member States

Steve
That does not surprise me, my comment was made with tounge firmly in cheek .

On the way to Seville the other year we found ourselves on a dual carriageway doing 90 that ran parallel and criss crossed with the motorway toll road... and yes, 80 to 100 was the kind of speed most were doing on it...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back