Spanish no bird this winter.

groyne

Mrs G's last week at work next week, a rough outline of our route planned, ready for the off early to mid January for 3 months for some winter sun. Hadn't booked the ferry/tunnel yet as not quite sure of the exact dates and wanted to see what effects the Election would have.
BOOM, a letter landed on the doormat this morning, Jury service in the middle of February. It'll be my 3rd tour of duty, I've already done 8 weeks worth, I could cry.😭

If the last jury service you did was within two years, you can get it reviewed.

When my second request for jury service had appeared my boss at a small firm wrote them a letter on my behalf saying I could not be covered, I received a letter back saying I was excused I don't know how you will go about it (Just mention you will be out of the country until April, I am sure that's a good enough reason)

Will they want to pay your return air fares? You may not even be selected. As said, I would write and advise and give them a breakdown of costs including hotel, taxis etc since your family occupy your house while you are away. I had all this crap when I was in the Police and away abroad on holiday - they baulk at paying your expenses in these circumstances. Bob.

I got mine "deferred" as I rightly said it was a busy time at School as I was compiling the school timetable for September.
SO they booked me in for the October Novenber half-term.Luckily not actually being employed as a teacher..I could claim those as work days as the "jury service had to pay" so it did not count as holiday !
3x in very very unlucky...
There should be a limit of "Once or Twice"...
Maybe claim "Insanity"

8 weeks must have been very big cases you attended on just two call up (Maybe that's why they called you up a further time because you where so prolific) I have never heard of someone doing more than two, but I couldn't understand the second time request when their are person's who have never been called up. Mine only lasted 4 days, I went to court on the Monday, wasn't picked the first day, but It only lasted a day, called on the Tuesday and it was finished Friday

Not after a deferral, as it would probably clash with something else, we've got a busy year this year.

It can be deferred, we have done it
In fact Mrs G gave them a good enough reason for permanent deferral

After the last time, (the trial lasted several weeks and it wasn't pleasant), I'm hoping for the same.

I can never understand why some people get called for jury service over and over again and yet others never get asked at all.

Send them a nice letter saying that you believe every case must have been brought correctly after consideration by the CPS, and so ask them if they can accept you as a “guilty as charged” for all cases you are going to have to miss. 👍

My OH got his deferred because we were going on holiday - I think their view is better a willing volunteer than a reluctant conscript.

Write back saying how wonderful it would be to send a load more scumbags to gaol and how you loved doing it, even if they were innocent/guilty, as you liked to see the look on their faces. Apart from a contempt of court conviction, you might be alright.

Glad you have it all squared off now. It strikes me this retirement lark can be seriously disrupted by any amount of third parties, family included.

Cheers

H

It strikes me this retirement lark can be seriously disrupted by any amount of third parties, family included.

Too true, (Mrs G is worried she'll get the call now), that's why I've booked the crossing today. Hopefully no more surprises between now and mid January.

Too true, (Mrs G is worried she'll get the call now), that's why I've booked the crossing today. Hopefully no more surprises between now and mid January.
What date have you booked for, are there any deals

12th via the tunnel (Mrs G put off ferries because of a bad crossing) couldn't find any deals.

12th via the tunnel (Mrs G put off ferries because of a bad crossing) couldn't find any deals.
I will be on the tunnel not quite sure on the date yet I'am not a fan of ferries especially the bad crossing * and I would rather not leave Roxy (my dog) in the motorhome at bottom

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back