Spanish Motorway Tolls 2024.

Rapido9

I wonder if anybody has current experience of the motorway tolls both the AutoPistas (toll) & the Autovias (nominally free)? Having Googled for information I am even more confused given the conflicting information online. It seems that all motorways were due to become toll roads in 2024, has this happened? I am planning a trip from San Sebastian to Almeria and would rather spend the toll money in the Tapas bars, as an opportunity choice. Any up to date advice would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

We did the route twice last year. No tolls at all. The tolls on the main Med route (A7) was lifted a few years ago. All toll booths now removed. There is just a small section of new road around Alicante that may still have a toll on it but is easily avoided.

I wonder if anybody has current experience of the motorway tolls both the AutoPistas (toll) & the Autovias (nominally free)? Having Googled for information I am even more confused given the conflicting information online. It seems that all motorways were due to become toll roads in 2024, has this happened? I am planning a trip from San Sebastian to Almeria and would rather spend the toll money in the Tapas bars, as an opportunity choice. Any up to date advice would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.
We found the tolls quite reasonable compared to France but we went down the (busy) East side which is very touristy and somewhere I won’t go again but we needed to go to dog pound in Los Barrios, on the subject of Tapas we found the best ones on the main roads aimed at truckers, in the costas it was mostly chips and curries.

Only been caught by tolls twice in last 12 months as most toll booths have been demolished. Once south of Cartagena and one up North going west . Each time it was only a handful of euros.
We had been told no tolls but then there does seem to be some exceptions. Typical Spain really.

Thank you all for your response. My confusion was caused whilst looking on-line at Spanish ex-pat newspapers, they stated; in essence that Brussels had imposed the responsibility to charge tolls on all motorway type roads from 2024. Of course I wondered if the rule had been implemented.

But can you drive on toll roads now in the current protests
418830594_381506571408356_3406446397371347977_n.jpg

Still tolls between cartegena and mazzaron
That's a new section of AP7 motorway. There is an alternative toll free A7 RM2 motorway about 25 miles west but it is a longer route between the two destinations taking an extra 45 minutes or so depending on your travelling speed of course.

We use the AP7 and put up with the toll as the detour uses extra fuel but everybody no doubt does there own individual cost benefit exercise.

At least in Spain, unlike France, motorhomes pay the same as cars.

Last edited:
We have just returned and came up motorway. We don’t normally do that as we don’t like the toll roads. Needing to make time with the vets and the French farmers.
Alicante to Valencia to Zaragoza then San Sebastián all no tolls and lovely roads went through Somport tunnel on the way home all free

To echo others: few tolls and reasonably cheap too. The signs for peaje are still up presumably where they are still charged (red circle with Peaje written through it on road signs). As a rule of thumb didn't the 'P' in AP7 (for example) indicate peaje but these days that isn't accurate as many have been withdrawn.

There has been talk of bring back tolls but when I don't know.

If you want to get a tag to fly through the tolls drop me a line and I can get us both €4 off a Bip&Go one (other tags are available).

Spent less than 10€ last year on toll roads in Spain , two trips .
Pretty sure there is a small stretch of toll road near San Sebastian

Still tolls between cartegena and mazzaron
Yes that's one I was thinking of . Although I think (bad memory!) last month I got on near Calnegrie ,los Alcazares , had to take a ticket but no where to pay on exit a little higher up ?

Spent less than 10€ last year on toll roads in Spain , two trips .
Pretty sure there is a small stretch of toll road near San Sebastian
Yes is that the one without toll booths and newly installed "overhead radar" control? . Think I installed an Ap , must ask wife if any payment taken .

I can't inform on tolls etc, but, don't be caught out for €90 like we were in Italy in 2019. We don't ever go on toll roads unless it's the only route. Just such a thing happened on the way up the Med coast due flooding and landslip on the main rd along the coast. Forced onto the motorway we discovered the barriers all open and no staff at any of them, so we guessed it was free due to the main rd closure, wrong, on leaving we were presented with a fine for not paying!
Once home we wrote to the addr on the ticket and protested. We received a full refund after some considerable delay.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back