spanish government now demands registration of sim card

t&s

JUST FOT YOUR INFO
Spanish Vodafone PAYG SIM cards
You may have recently read or heard about new Spanish legislation regarding the registration of Pay-As-You-Go Spanish SIM cards under new Spanish anti-terrorism laws.
Whilst there are key deadlines to register by there is an extensive period of grace for existing SIM users up to November 2009.
If further Vodafone updates are provided then we will update all 0044 customers via email accordingly.
However, in the meantime we strongly recommend that you act now to register your Vodafone SIM if you have not already done so.
This can be done by taking your Spanish Vodafone SIM and identification (ideally a passport and proof of Spanish address) to any Spanish Vodafone store the next time you visit Spain and before 8th November 2009. You may then request that the SIM is registered in accordance with the new laws and continue to use it in the normal manner. The deadline for completing the registration is 8th November 2009 via a Spanish Vodafone store otherwise the network will terminate the number permanently and any credit will be lost. This is the only registration process available and needs to be carried out locally in Spain, at a Vodafone store, in person.
For customers who have purchased a Happy Movil Spanish SIM during 2008 the registration and activation needs to be completed in accordance with the user guides provided and there is no need to visit a Spanish retailer.
Please ensure you act now and before November 8th 2009 to ensure your Vodafone SIM is registered and service maintained.

I have a Movistar payg sim its about 6 years old do i have to do anything with this??

Dont you just hate the spanish laws:(

Yes Hogan if you haven't already done so you need to register your details with movistar or the sim will be deactivated not sure when this will happen.
Regards Tony

Spain appears to be awkward in many ways, however the reasoning is good it's part of their counter terrorism measures, mobiles are a good way of remotely detonating an explosive device. In practice all terrorists need do is purchase a secondhand or stolen mobile and they can still do what they will. Visitors to spain will find it awkward to buy a pay as you go sim unless they have a nie number and this can take a while to get, i've been waiting 2 months now it is supposed to take around 10 days.

So if I visit Spain will I still eb able to use my British PAYG and my conratc phone?
Also, Will I still be able to use my French contract phone?

Any ideas?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back