Spain's Basque Coast

lewislewis

Thankfully, now that Brittany Ferries have settled their dispute, we're off on the 19th to Bilbao for 2 weeks. The plan is to poodle along the coast towards San Sebastian for the first week and then to spend the second in San Sebastian with our younger daughter and her beau (camping next to us in a pop-up). Does anyone have any tips / suggestions about anything along that stretch of coast - places to stay/eat /see/buy wine and food to bring back etc. etc. Mucho thanks.

Lewis

There's a brilliant campsite on the way into San Sebastian high up on the coastal road I think it was called igueldo or something like that, when we were there they ran free shuttle buses into town. We also wild camped at the eastern end of the seafront road by the surfers beach, although the rubbish truck was bloody early there. Food in San Sebastian is amazing don't book anything just go from bar to bar sampling the pintxos (Basque tapas).
enjoy!

Spain Basque CoastA

At this time of the year you can park in most coastal villages towns just follow the coast if you wish to visit Bilbao your first stop shoul be in the town where i live Algorta which is part of Getxo its 5km from the port if you take the transporter bridge or 20 km if you take the autovia. Park at the end of the sea front awter and toilets close by from there you can take the metro toBilbao 10 minutes walk to the metro costs less than 2euro return.There is a tourist office along the front in Algorta who will give you plenty of information.As for shopping wine etc find a Eroski Hypermarket they stock a good selection.If you return from San Sebastion by motorway it will cost aprox 8 euro.

Bilbao Camper

On the border

Hi,

We travelled through that way about two weeks ago going south to Portugal and Spain, stayed at Hendaye on the border near San Sebastian nice little surfing beach then La Paz near to Llaine 50 miles from Santander. A lot of the sites were closing towards the end of September but there is an Aires at the station in Hendaye but could be further than you whant to go,have a good trip.

Snowbirds. in Middle Spain.

Thankfully, now that Brittany Ferries have settled their dispute, we're off on the 19th to Bilbao for 2 weeks. The plan is to poodle along the coast towards San Sebastian for the first week and then to spend the second in San Sebastian with our younger daughter and her beau (camping next to us in a pop-up). Does anyone have any tips / suggestions about anything along that stretch of coast - places to stay/eat /see/buy wine and food to bring back etc. etc. Mucho thanks.

Lewis

hi . i,m usually there in november or in early spring . i find most campsites are shut .but its quiet . there are loads of places to free park . right from the french border all the way around to portugal there are places that almost jump out at you and say stop here . that coastline is the nicest area of spain . that and a trip through the pico,s .great . you will love it . you will wish you didnt have to go home .

Before heading towards San Sebastion it might be worth heading towards Santander as there is a fantastic Aire at Carbarceno adjacent to the Elephant enclosure of the Nature Park. If you like seeing wild animals there is no better place in Europe!The space they have is unbelievable and the scenery stunning. We went for a night in mid September and ended up staying for 3.

There's a lovely place called Noja and I believe you can park overlooking the beach.
Not been for a few years but it's lovely there.

How much do you guys usually spend on ferry? I want to go but can't afford the £800 trip, do they do offers at certain times of the year / any advice appreciated

hi .i,m away in nov .come back april . booked the pont avon as iot as seats as well as cabins . that as been cancelled now its the amorique have o have cabins . but they have given them free as they changed the route . thats costing 539 inc the dog and using friends and family . you could add 70 quid on that for cabin .
winter is far cheaper than summer but even then you have to check on prices .
i cant drive up and back to spain for that price in my truck .
worse i,m sailing from portsmouth not plymouth whivch is what i wanted .
since 2004 the prices have been going up and down . dearest was 2008 at 613 quid this yearis in fact the cheapest i have had.2010 it was583 .
2009 -576. in 2004 it cost541quid ..
i have the old tickets . same vehicle etc . goes as a car and caravan . they do have special deals for cars and caravans .that allow up to 11metres in length .luckily mine is only 10metres so its cheap. usually one day we are there .going to take longer this year as it stops in roscoff to change staff . shame makes it two nights on board not one.

Bloody hell, I've never seen it that cheap, I might pay that, no more than that though!
Have a good 1

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back