Spain/Portugal where are you?

Ah Fuseta!
Are you parked behind the campsite,or over the railway bridge, up to the west of the town?
Might be going down there for a paddle tomorrow.
Subject to Management approval.

Not done Amarante.

What's to see there?
Are you going to Chaves ...Have a spa treatment,if you go.
If you feel like a new woman,afterwards...

I'll send Jenny for one.;)

Last edited:
Hey! What wine are you on?? I want some!!:bow:

I'm alluding to the vast numbers of French m/homers around in s. Espana!

Was talking to a Corsican Frenchman the other day, he said that it wasn't so much that a lot of French m/homers were scared of visiting Maroc that they were now favouring Espana instead. But more a question that many had noticed or felt a distinct changing in attitude towards the French by the Moroccans, and not a positive change in attitude. In light of recent events, seems plausible enough a reason to me.

Last edited:
Not done Amarante.

What's to see there?
Are you going to Chaves ...Have a spa treatment,if you go.
If you feel like a new woman,afterwards...

I'll send Jenny for one.;)

Making our way homeward now and, sadly, leaving Portugal to get through Spain, Bayonne and up through France.

That's it for another year....... tonight we are staying in Jaca 🏔🏔 before driving through tunnel to France and Ferry booked for Thursday☹️☹️

Ah Fuseta!
Are you parked behind the campsite,or over the railway bridge, up to the west of the town?
Might be going down there for a paddle tomorrow.
Subject to Management approval.

Behind d the campsite overlooking the beach, where the signs say' No MH's' ! 😁

Behind d the campsite overlooking the beach, where the signs say' No MH's' ! ��

Nice of them, isn't it.
We're at Santa Catarina da Fonte do Bispo, about 10 miles due north of Fuseta.
If you're passing through, and fancy a noggin.. Pm us.

That's it for another year....... tonight we are staying in Jaca 🏔🏔 before driving through tunnel to France and Ferry booked for Thursday☹️☹️

Remember to duck when you're going through that tunnel lee😜

Google Maps
we are here for the night . between luarca and cudillera . nice quiet place for night with hotel /bar at end of carpark.
had several nights here over the years .
there is a nice walk down to beach area .
been cracking sunshine for last week or so. might change till weekend so weather girls are saying .

BLIGHTY and cold (also some travel figures)

Got back Sunday, now weather has turned chilly, had hailstones yesterday. Woken up by aching knees, wet outside with 4degrees.

INITIAL ADMIN
Took over an hour to read the mail and sort flyers/marketing drivel. Found DVSA not happy with me for not SORNing vehicle, also HMRC wanted a word, had to say sorry to VAT collector for a late return, then sort car for missus, pay homage to the bank manager as well as read Christmas cards.

Hadn't realised 3months away would generate so much work. And to top it all had to break into the car as it locked itself while I opened the bonnet to prep it for MOT, grrrr. So a replacement quarter window ordered and only a broken toilet flush handle and leaking shower to fix before cutting the grass sometime soon I hope.

The JOURNEY
Enjoyed the Spain experience meeting so many different people of all nationalities, will now go to Greece again to compare it, before setting the plan to tour Portugal in future adventures.

My first use of a SATNAV also, it got me into trouble on occasion but did save a lot of planning and double checking, although still not certain which travel mode is best. Use of POIs and suggestions from others about stops was super helpful and relieved heartache.

Some Numbers
Over the 3 months away from home, 2weeks in Ireland, 2weeks through France, remainder in Spain.
Ferry UK to EIRE (Pembroke - Rosslare) £120
Ferry EIRE to FRANCE (Rosslare - Cherbourg) £180 Inc cabin)
Ferry across river ? To avoid Bordeaux (£47)
Ferry FRANCE to UK (CALAIS - Dover) £54

Mileage/Kms = 4900m / 7840km
Fuel = 169g / 769litres costing between 86p (Andorra) and £1.12 (France)

Food averaged at £11/day, Inc pub and restaurant visits, typically once a week.

Launderettes cost£16 for 2large loads and drying.

Entrance fees to various museum's, churches and cathedrals = £2 to £5, spending approx £100.

Overall for the nigh-on 100 day adventure including Xmas and New year in Ireland at various locations with family our expenditure was approx £25 /day. Next time we shall budget for 30 to allow us a little more freedom and opportunity.

Save yourself £47 next time, (unless you enjoy the ferry of course), because Bordeaux must be the easiest large city in France to circumnavigate if travelling north south or vice versa. Just stick to the A63, the section bye passing B. is also named the Rocade.

And you can go either way around, there was only 5 minutes difference with a truck!

I invariably take the eastern 'half'circle' it's a bit less mileage.

Not entirely off topic, but could be useful info for someone, the toll charge on the reclassified RN10 as a tolled extension to the A63 south of Bordeaux to the border with Spain at Irun. Now stands at he princely sum of 22.40€ Classe 2, made in 5 seperate PIA stages! At least that was the case yesterday.

Alternatively, there is a main road from the Marmande area to Mont de Marsan which is toll free. You then get onto the main Bordeaux to Irun road near Tarragon a r carry on toll free, but it can be stop start around Bayone
From memory, to Marmande, could be the D933 0r D934

edit
If you come down via Bergerac, it is a direct route

Mont de Marsan is a quite a detour if heading to Irun from Bordeaux. I did go south via M. de M. in November but then through the Somport Tunnel to Zaragoza.

I keep to the west of France and travel via Madrid and Malaga because generally, unlike most on the forum I go straight to the Gibraltar area (my 2nd homeland as it were)rather than nearer more northerly spots on the costas. I only vary the route these days if the weather suits.

We are now on the Setubal Peninsula, and will be until April as we are house sitting. Lots to see and do here, particularly many adegas to visit'

We are now on the Setubal Peninsula, and will be until April as we are house sitting. Lots to see and do here, particularly many adegas to visit'

Oh lucky you...I'm just over the Pyrenees, ferry from Dieppe 2nd of April 🙁 Can't wait to get back. Enjoy, everyone still out there!

Oh lucky you...I'm just over the Pyrenees, ferry from Dieppe 2nd of April 🙁 Can't wait to get back. Enjoy, everyone still out there!

Btw, when I said I can't wait to get back I meant back to Portugal, not the UK! The nearer I get to the ferry the more I'll be wondering "Why?" The pleasures of home comforts soon wear thin!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back