Southwold gutted

QFour

Went to Southwold the other day. Parked in the Harbour by the pub and decided to treat ourselves to a Bacon and Egg bap at the Cafe. Walked down to find it's now a French Bistro playing crappy French music. All that was on offer was cake and coffee. We had a coffee and walked back to the MH. What a dissapointment. The place used to be packed with sailors and people working in the harbour as well as tourists. A few in but nothing like it was. Southwold has changed over the years. The weekend croud have moved in and driven up the prices. Oh well never mind 😭

Cafe Nero Costa Coffee and similar "Trendy" places eg wine bars
No way !

How are they getting on with rebuilding Mrs T's? I see the place next door has reopened.

Went to Southwold the other day. Parked in the Harbour by the pub and decided to treat ourselves to a Bacon and Egg bap at the Cafe. Walked down to find it's now a French Bistro playing crappy French music. All that was on offer was cake and coffee. We had a coffee and walked back to the MH. What a dissapointment. The place used to be packed with sailors and people working in the harbour as well as tourists. A few in but nothing like it was. Southwold has changed over the years. The weekend croud have moved in and driven up the prices. Oh well never mind 😭
I lived in Southwold from 1978 to 2005, when we were first there to was a great place residents knew each other and there was a real sense of community. Of course there were tourists but as the years went on there were more and more, local shopkeepers sold out to tourist shops, local people were priced out of the home market and prices of everything went up and the sense of community was lost. Fine of you want an overpriced meal or a really expensive jumper that no same person would pay for or wear. We had enough so moved out to a small village on the coast which will never be a tourist trap. This is why I am so careful when going about in the camper van not to be intrusive and to respect the places I go to and the inhabitants.

We used to live in Whitstable. It’s the same there and we reluctantly moved away about 15 years ago. We used to go to the Harbour Cafe, thick granary toast with marmite and a mug of hot chocolate on a Saturday morning was a real treat. We used to have a cosy cinema where you could take your drinks in to watch the film. Both and more have gone, the town has lost all its character and doesn’t seem to cater to the locals anymore.

Young people have the disposable income now and they don't want to spend it where their granny did, we were the same as youngsters, change happens, Lizs kids opened a little sandwich shop last year it only has two inside tables but it is mega busy all day now, they even opted into a local just eat type online ordering and lazy Bs are ordering food to be delivered from as little as 100yards away.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back