South of France advice please

Once again tnank you for taking the time to read my post and then the effort to post a reply. On reflection, and having read all the replies, i think we are going to plan a break that takes us along the Gorge Du Tarn. Nice villages, spectacular scenery, plenty of campsites and hopefully, for Sally, good weather. So, if anyone has done this route, and I am sure plenty of you have, once again any advice of any sort would be warmly received. Once again, a big thankyou in advance. Dave

Once again tnank you for taking the time to read my post and then the effort to post a reply. On reflection, and having read all the replies, i think we are going to plan a break that takes us along the Gorge Du Tarn. Nice villages, spectacular scenery, plenty of campsites and hopefully, for Sally, good weather. So, if anyone has done this route, and I am sure plenty of you have, once again any advice of any sort would be warmly received. Once again, a big thankyou in advance. Dave

The Tarn area is lovely but if you want Gorges the Verdon Gorges further east in Provence knock the Tarn Gorges into a cocked hat! Good Aires either end as well. Start there and work your way west through Ardeche, Florac, Tarn Gorges and Aveyron, maybe as far the Lot and Dordogne. Then you will have seen the best of the South of France (IMO). Stuff the campsites though. Just setup a shower with a hosepipe for the Mrs.

The Tarn area is lovely but if you want Gorges the Verdon Gorges further east in Provence knock the Tarn Gorges into a cocked hat! Good Aires either end as well. Start there and work your way west through Ardeche, Florac, Tarn Gorges and Aveyron, maybe as far the Lot and Dordogne. Then you will have seen the best of the South of France (IMO). Stuff the campsites though. Just setup a shower with a hosepipe for the Mrs.

We are in a dilemma - we have three weeks off September and was thinking of heading towards the gorge du tarn but trouble is I keep getting distracted with so many other places on my list that it’s impossible to choose a route … three weeks doesn’t seem a lot to scratch the surface of the south of France. Back to the drawing board 🤦‍♀️

We went along a cliff-edge road in the Tarn Gorge a few years ago. It was a seriously scary drive. I'm VERY pleased that nobody else was using that road: to pass something with thousands of feet of sheer drop and not really enough width to pass would have been terrifying. We went to some amazing underground caverns and the scenery was fantastic, Go there, but plan your routes carefully.

We are in a dilemma - we have three weeks off September and was thinking of heading towards the gorge du tarn but trouble is I keep getting distracted with so many other places on my list that it’s impossible to choose a route … three weeks doesn’t seem a lot to scratch the surface of the south of France. Back to the drawing board 🤦‍♀️
True, you won't scratch the surface, but it's enough time to get a good taster.
I'd go there on a 2 week holiday.

It doesnt but you could just about do both the Gorges Du Verdon, Lac St Croix, the Tarn Gorges (you can drive through them in less than an hour, Millau, St Rome du Tarn then up to the Dordogne and back to Calais in three weeks. I think if you were going to do that you would need to get a wiggle on to the south East of France and then after the Dordogne another wiggle on back to Calais. If you were going to do two Gorges though, do them two. Not that far apart.

bailey-spreadsheet.jpg

It doesnt but you could just about do both the Gorges Du Verdon, Lac St Croix, the Tarn Gorges (you can drive through them in less than an hour, Millau, St Rome du Tarn then up to the Dordogne and back to Calais in three weeks. I think if you were going to do that you would need to get a wiggle on to the south East of France and then after the Dordogne another wiggle on back to Calais. If you were going to do two Gorges though, do them two. Not that far apart.

bailey-spreadsheet.jpg

Thank you that’s the plan maybe take the first two days to get there … I didn’t realise both gorges weren’t that far apart. Everything is France felt like thousands of miles apart and i have only been to dournedez/finester 😂 (spelling?) Thankfully hubby travelled all over France and won’t hang about 🚐

Meant to say he used to know France very well but it’s been a while since he drove out there

Last edited:
Thank you that’s the plan maybe take the first two days to get there … I didn’t realise both gorges weren’t that far apart. Everything is France felt like thousands of miles apart and i have only been to dournedez/finester 😂 (spelling?) Thankfully hubby travelled all over France and won’t hang about 🚐

Meant to say he used to know France very well but it’s been a while since he drove out there

They are not really but I got my Gorges mixed up. I forgot that between Lac St Croix and the Verdon Gorges and the Tarn Gorge you also have the Ardeche Gorges and Vallon Pont D'arc. You could actually combine all three. I would reckon on a short trip you could do maybe 5 days around the Verdon Gorges and Lac St Croix, A night or two at Vallon Pont D'arc (maybe go kayaking down the Ardeche from there which is great) and then continue down through the Tarn Gorges to Millau / St Rome de Tarn area.

If you need any tips on the gorges, where to stay etc do say.

bailey-spreadsheet.jpg

Im sure I posted this a thousand times but heres a video of Lac St Croix and the upper Verdon Gorges shot from the Kayak and the scooter

They are not really but I got my Gorges mixed up. I forgot that between Lac St Croix and the Verdon Gorges and the Tarn Gorge you also have the Ardeche Gorges and Vallon Pont D'arc. You could actually combine all three. I would reckon on a short trip you could do maybe 5 days around the Verdon Gorges and Lac St Croix, A night or two at Vallon Pont D'arc (maybe go kayaking down the Ardeche from there which is great) and then continue down through the Tarn Gorges to Millau / St Rome de Tarn area.

If you need any tips on the gorges, where to stay etc do say.

bailey-spreadsheet.jpg

Im sure I posted this a thousand times but heres a video of Lac St Croix and the upper Verdon Gorges shot from the Kayak and the scooter

What a great video.. kayaking errr no but a paddle yes 😂 that scenery is out of this world them drops arn’t for the faint hearted.
This is really helpful and given me a good idea of how to plan out a route .. thanks very much 😊

Reactions: REC
Thanks for all the advice. Having chatted to my partner, and listening to all your advice, we will probably go to the south, but not as far as the coast.
How about a lake side campsite man made beach's swim in the lake rent canoes etc. Barry in his post above suggested Lac St Criox in Provence its at the bottom on Verdon Gorge so plenty of opportunity's for day trips canoe up the Gorge
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...7022!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d43.7610097!4d6.1532897

How about a lake side campsite man made beach's swim in the lake rent canoes etc. Barry in his post above suggested Lac St Criox in Provence its at the bottom on Verdon Gorge so plenty of opportunity's for day trips canoe up the Gorge
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...7022!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d43.7610097!4d6.1532897

Yep !!! Will have some of that thank you very much 😊

Yep !!! Will have some of that thank you very much 😊
We haven't stayed there but always meant to its in a beautiful position theres a aire just above it which you drive past to get there also theres a FP lavender farm just before you see the lake. Also in the area and worth a visit are Riez and Moustiers st Marie both with aires. In Sept you'll probably have missed the Lavender but to just smell it before its harvested is great
Screenshot (60).png

What a great video.. kayaking errr no but a paddle yes 😂 that scenery is out of this world them drops arn’t for the faint hearted.
This is really helpful and given me a good idea of how to plan out a route .. thanks very much 😊

I presume you dont have a scooter or secondary transport so this is what I would do. Either stay at one of the Lac Croix sites or aire or maybe have a night at the Aire at Moustieres St Marie. Its a delightful little village and well worth a look although its a bit of an uphill hike from the Aire. From there I would do the northern side of the Gorge which includes the circular route de cretes highlighted with an arrow on the map below. D23 I think. Its best you do this clockwise. Its certainly doable in a motorhome but if I were you in a van I would do it early on a morning and preferably on a clear sunny day. It gets busy during the day and you will want to stop off at all the view points on the circular route for sure (The video does not do it justice). The circular route will then spit you back out at La Palud sur Verdon about half a mile prior to where you turned off the D952. Carry on to Trigance which is a charming little village and there is an Aire there. I believe it only takes about five vans but there is an overspill car park and plenty of places outside of the village to park up if its full.

You could then tackle the southern side and route of the gorges the next day back to the lake.

screenshot-1982.jpg

https://www.WEBSITE BLOCKED BY ADMI...lpes-cote-dazur/trigance/4435/aire-municipale

I like the Aire at St Croix village but its really only any good if you get one of the lake view side on pitches. Timing is crucial. :D Or there is the site at the bottom of the hill by the lake and a few on the top of the hill way above the village. A few wild spots along there also although we never spent the night there. Wilding around the lake I believe is forbidden.

No idea why that link to the Aire on Camper Contact is blocked. Anyway you cant miss it, https://www.lacs-gorges-verdon.fr/hebergement/campings/5157-aire-de-camping-car.html

Thanks Barry really helpful I’m writing it all down as I go along - I could open the link tooIt gives us a rough idea on where to start
I stupidly YouTube’d a video last night of another area 🤦‍♀️😂…near Catalonia - probably another full days driving so thinking maybe we could skim round there before heading up to saint Marie ?
Either way we if we don’t make it, it’s another reason to get back out there next year

Thanks Barry really helpful I’m writing it all down as I go along - I could open the link tooIt gives us a rough idea on where to start
I stupidly YouTube’d a video last night of another area 🤦‍♀️😂…near Catalonia - probably another full days driving so thinking maybe we could skim round there before heading up to saint Marie ?
Either way we if we don’t make it, it’s another reason to get back out there next year

LOL! Isnt Catalonia in Spain? :D Bit of a hike from South eastern France! We have done a it of Catalonia in October a few years back. I think we went down there hoping to eek out the warm weather. Some nice places but I much prefer the French Pyrenees. Thats another trip entirely though.

LOL! Isnt Catalonia in Spain? :D Bit of a hike from South eastern France! We have done a it of Catalonia in October a few years back. I think we went down there hoping to eek out the warm weather. Some nice places but I much prefer the French Pyrenees. Thats another trip entirely though.

I need to stay off YouTube 😂

Historically it was Spain and France . Not sure about politics there but possibly a version of the language still used in France ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back