Somport Tunnel

Biggarmac

Anyone been through there recently? Hoping to go from Spain to France next Thursday 29th and would like to have an idea of the weather conditions. The weather app looks dodgy, but how are the roads likely to be if there is more snow this weekend. Do they keep the roads clear or close them? Meg

I don't know how big your van is, mine is 7.5M. We crossed the Pyrenees Col du Pourtalet last Monday, a wonderful drive, superb scenery and almost no traffic, perhaps 20 vehicles in the entire crossing. No large ones.
Look at websites to check just before you set off.
No snow at all on the road, 1.5M in places beside the road.

We came that way around the end of February, don't have the links bur there are a lot of webcams for the ski runs in the area, also websites giving snowfall on the ski slopes at different levels. I checked daily on the way down & saw they hadn't had any snow. We stopped at the aire in Orolon ste. Mare but had problems with the gas so no heating. Woke up freezing it was minus 10 outside so drove through the tunnel when it was still dark. Didn't see the views but it was habdy being able to see the wagons coming. Only a few places where it was a bit tight but the road going up has the right of way.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back