Solar

LED's

Tony is right, I've changed a 10w halogen for an LED cluster in each area of the m/h inc the outside light, and now the WHOLE LOT doesn't add up to an amp! The LED clusters are quoted at 0.1amp ea! So you can go out and leave the outside awning light on all night and make no real difference to the battery.

Our 15" LCD/DVD TV only draws the same as the little 10" TV we used to have i.e. 4watts, so unless you run loads of stuff; a long weekend even in winter should be no problem at all! - Try it!

Led

Tony is right, I've changed a 10w halogen for an LED cluster in each area of the m/h inc the outside light, and now the WHOLE LOT doesn't add up to an amp! The LED clusters are quoted at 0.1amp ea! So you can go out and leave the outside awning light on all night and make no real difference to the battery.

Our 15" LCD/DVD TV only draws the same as the little 10" TV we used to have i.e. 4watts, so unless you run loads of stuff; a long weekend even in winter should be no problem at all! - Try it!

Hi Nosha
Were did you purchase your LED Clusters from?
Regards Julie

Thanks Trevor,
Do you know if the Hymer bulbs are all 12v, Seems daft to ask, but manual is at my Moms, I know there are for spots over the seating area at back. Also as I am new to m/h, which do you suggest I buy?
Regards Julie

Not sure Kate but sure someone else will answer that one.

Thanks Trevor,
Also as I am new to m/h, which do you suggest I buy?
Regards Julie

While not a great fan of LEDs, they do have some advantages - very long life provided they are properly designed (and many are not designed to handle voltages up to nearly 15V that occurs when charging) and low power consumption.

When used as spot lights, especially in places over benches where they are mounted fairly close to the bench, you can end up with a bright spot of light about 6" in diameter and nothing elsewhere and the overall effect is pretty awful. If you are considering them, try to see them in operation in a motorhome and then buy exactly the same unit. Failing that, buy one rather than a lot and see how you like it. It would be different if they were the same price as conventional bulbs, but they are way dearer.

Thanks Trevor,
Do you know if the Hymer bulbs are all 12v, Seems daft to ask, but manual is at my Moms, I know there are for spots over the seating area at back. Also as I am new to m/h, which do you suggest I buy?
Regards Julie
unless they have been added afterward yes they are 12v, i have spotlights over the seating areas in my hymer and two larger flourescent units one in the kitchen and one above the rear seat group all 12v.
hope this helps you regards tony

While not a great fan of LEDs, they do have some advantages - very long life provided they are properly designed (and many are not designed to handle voltages up to nearly 15V that occurs when charging) and low power consumption.

When used as spot lights, especially in places over benches where they are mounted fairly close to the bench, you can end up with a bright spot of light about 6" in diameter and nothing elsewhere and the overall effect is pretty awful. If you are considering them, try to see them in operation in a motorhome and then buy exactly the same unit. Failing that, buy one rather than a lot and see how you like it. It would be different if they were the same price as conventional bulbs, but they are way dearer.

As I said before in answer to your last thread, these things have leaped forward incredibly in just a few months and you really can't tell the difference from halogen, apart from the drain and the dangerous heat from halogens. They are in my van and they are great.

As I said before in answer to your last thread, these things have leaped forward incredibly in just a few months and you really can't tell the difference from halogen, apart from the drain and the dangerous heat from halogens. They are in my van and they are great.

I for one agree with you they are great and they have hell of long life because they dont give off heat, they a bit expsensive probably work out
cheaper in the long run.:)

I for one agree with you they are great and they have hell of long life because they dont give off heat, they a bit expsensive probably work out
cheaper in the long run.:)

Not if we get together and buy up my sources stock........look in for sale and wanted.

I am a Novice

You will need more than 2x 110A of batteries. You will need in excess of 80w of solar panel. If you must have a Genny (and you want to wild it) then you will need a Kipor or a Honda silent type Genny. You don't want to advertise your presence, do you?
Now if you are prepared for that level of expediture then you're in with a chance: Please don't get the idea that it can be done on the cheap because you are talking about expensive items.

Hi baloothebear
As a novice, and has its our first m/h. I joined Motorhomefacts to get help of people with many many years experience. Also to read, and gain knowledge.
With regards to doing anything on the cheap, my philosophy, you get what you pay for? Apart from that, why pay thousands of pounds in the first place for your m/h.If I seen an item I needed, but could get it at a better price, I don’t think that’s doing it on the cheap.
Having not spent one night in the hymer yet, I was just getting information ready. It as a BP255 Solar, one new 100amp leisure battery+ starting battery. Two socket inverter. LPG tank fitted for Cooking and heating.
Being a novice, this does not mean a lot to me at this point in time. I just wondered how it would manage say for a weekend, without hook-up?
Kind Regards
Julie

One step at a time.

Hi Julie.
A couple of weeks ago 7 of us went to the Cromford Meet and no hook ups and no problems and we did not move.
In the summer you will be able to go for a longer period.
Just try it, one night at a time if you are worried.
Go to a camp site and don't book a hook up for the first night but you could book one for the second.
Or go wild and move a little to charge the batteries.
Just go one step at a time until you get your confidence in your Hymer:cool:
By easter I would expect you to go for 3 to 4 nights without hook up.

Hi baloothebear
As a novice, and has its our first m/h. I joined Motorhomefacts to get help of people with many many years experience. Also to read, and gain knowledge.
With regards to doing anything on the cheap, my philosophy, you get what you pay for? Apart from that, why pay thousands of pounds in the first place for your m/h.If I seen an item I needed, but could get it at a better price, I don’t think that’s doing it on the cheap.
Having not spent one night in the hymer yet, I was just getting information ready. It as a BP255 Solar, one new 100amp leisure battery+ starting battery. Two socket inverter. LPG tank fitted for Cooking and heating.
Being a novice, this does not mean a lot to me at this point in time. I just wondered how it would manage say for a weekend, without hook-up?
Kind Regards
Julie

Kate (Julie?).

You'll be fine Just go and do it. And when you get back you'll wonder what you worried about. You're obviously sensible because you're asking the right questions. You'll be sensible enough not to overload everything with microwave oven, freezer, automatic washing machine. You'll just be using what most of use. Two or three hours of TV maybe, ordinary use of other electrical stuff. Eventually, and before very long at that, you'll know how long things last. Knowing how long your electricity will last is no more difficult really than knowing how long your fresh water will last, or when you have to dump the waste or empty the loo. Or how much bread you need for the weekend. It's all the same really. It just seems more difficult now.

You'll be fine. Just go and do it. And then come back and tell us how it was. I, for one would love to hear.

Tom

Kate (Julie?).

You'll be fine Just go and do it. And when you get back you'll wonder what you worried about. You're obviously sensible because you're asking the right questions. You'll be sensible enough not to overload everything with microwave oven, freezer, automatic washing machine. You'll just be using what most of use. Two or three hours of TV maybe, ordinary use of other electrical stuff. Eventually, and before very long at that, you'll know how long things last. Knowing how long your electricity will last is no more difficult really than knowing how long your fresh water will last, or when you have to dump the waste or empty the loo. Or how much bread you need for the weekend. It's all the same really. It just seems more difficult now.

You'll be fine. Just go and do it. And then come back and tell us how it was. I, for one would love to hear.

Tom

My sentiments exactly Tom,only I'm not as good as you in putting it into words:rolleyes:, Take this good advice Julie and go out and enjoy your new motorhome, you may make the odd mistake but you'll learn from them.
Good luck.

If you dont mind your neighbours thinking you have gone mad why not try spending the next few days in your camper at home ( you could allways cheat and sleep in the house )
using the radio or tv and your lights will give you some idea of how long they will last

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back