Solar

kate13

Hi all
we are new to all this. We have a solar, invertor, plus a geni, if we go with no hookup, do not use the geni, how long may we get out of battery, we have large lesure, plus the heavy duty for start. Our hm, is a 1996 b544 hymer?
Sorry but not had time to read all the manual yet?
regards Julie

Hi all
we are new to all this. We have a solar, invertor, plus a geni, if we go with no hookup, do not use the geni, how long may we get out of battery, we have large lesure, plus the heavy duty for start. Our hm, is a 1996 b544 hymer?
Sorry but not had time to read all the manual yet?
regards Julie

You will need to know the amperage of your leisure batteries and the amperage of every electrical item you are going to use and also the amperage of what the solar panel will put in.
Sorry but it is a little complicated

You will need to know the amperage of your leisure batteries and the amperage of every electrical item you are going to use and also the amperage of what the solar panel will put in.
Sorry but it is a little complicated
i agree it is complicated maybe the easiest way to find out is to try it out and see, take geni with you as a back up. if u are wilding and moving on everyday your battery could last for ages as it will be charged from alternator. if you are static who knows

Depends

i agree it is complicated maybe the easiest way to find out is to try it out and see, take geni with you as a back up. if u are wilding and moving on everyday your battery could last for ages as it will be charged from alternator. if you are static who knows

Another factor is the time of the year!:eek:
You will obviously be able to go longer in the warm sunny months :cool:(if we get any) than the wet cold months:eek:.
As Walkers says, it also depends on how much you move around as every time you move the engine alternator will charge the battery up a certain amount:cool:

There are two ways of doing it. The first is the suck it and see method where you hope the bloke that installed it was an expert and got things at least partly correct.

The second and far more scientifically-correct way is to list all your appliances with their current draw and an estimate of how many hours each day you are likely to use them. This calculation is done in Amp-hours, often abbreviated Ah. Ampere is capitalized because he was a real person and h is lower case because it isn't a person. I only mention it because some knowledgible people get upset if units are not correct while most so-called experts don't know the different.

So

TV set -- 2 Amps x 2 hours (per day) = 4ah (per day) [Its all per day so I will leave that off]
Water Pump -- 5A x 0.5h = 2.5Ah
Lighting -- 2A x 5h = 10Ah
Computer -- 6A x 2h = 12Ah
Microwave (via the inverter) 100A x 0.1h = 10Ah

So total per day is 4+2.5+10+12+10 = say 40Ah

How many Ah does your FULLY CHARGED battery hold?
say 100Ah

BUT you should only take out HALF of this energy otherwise your battery life will be short. So this means you have 50Ah to play with and you use 40Ah per day -- SO if it is raining or you are north of almost anywhere in central Europe and your solar panels are doing nothing except keeping part of the roof paint from weathering, you can stay for a bit more than 24 hours safely and maybe if you don't use the microwave, you can extend your stay to 2 nights.

How big is your solar panel? Normally rated in Watts just to confuse everyone and to hide the fact that solar panel ratings are one of the biggest legally sanctioned frauds around.

Lets say 100Watts. Everyone knows that Volts x Amps = Watts so since we have a 12V battery system then OBVIOUSLY 12 x A = 100 so your panel will put out 8.5 amps any time the sun happens to be shining. Great! 8.5Amps X 8 hours of sunlight = 68Ah pumped back into the battery every day. WooHoo, you can sell some power to the bloke next door and wild camp forever.

If only.

It is true that if that solar panel is flashed with a light intensity of 1000Watts per square metre for no longer than about 20 milliseconds then the panel will produce energy at the rate of 100W during that brief time. So working on 15Volts which is the voltage at which maximum power transfer takes place (not 12, sorry), the panel will put out 100/15 - say about 7 amps. Then because your panels are flat on the roof you lose another 10 to 30% power production, and you are say in Finland in winter where there is no sun, the actual peak output might be closer to zero even on a good day. The sun only shines for 2 hours in winter so 2 x close to zero is pretty close to Zero.

In Spain in Summer you may be able to produce more than enough power to wild camp until your water runs out or you have to empty your tanks, but really, you are likely to be short-changed for power even during good weather.

The other complicating factor is if you drive every couple of days for at least a couple of hours, the vehicle alternator will be able to recharge the leisure battery to about 75% of its full capacity. With a bit of messing around and a long drive and using AGM batteries, you can get close to 100% but not normally. So the day after you have driven, you only have 75%-50% of the battery available so if you get no solar input, you have to drive each day to keep things topped up and even then, since solar may not be too reliable, the end result is that the battery charge gets lower and lower each day. Bad for the battery, especially if it is not charged up promptly.

Now you have a generator. That has a convenient "battery charger" output so that will charge up the battery because it puts out 8Amps. Sorry, but usually it is a fixed voltage peaking out at about 13.7V and that will just not charge a battery up beyond about 65% in any reasonable time. Even if it did, you would need to run it for something close to 4 hours a day to do much good.
If you have a good quality 3 stage charger that puts out say 20 amps then 3 hours would be close to enough time to get the Battery close to 100% charged - whether from generator or campground 220V supply.
etc
etc
etc.

It's all too difficult because the best you can do is work on averages and they just don't work very well in the real world.

And this mess that I've created above (deliberately) is why the smart posters said to try it and see what happens with your particular set up and your particular lifestyle. As they wisely said -- you need to know exactly how big your battery is and whether it is in good condition (because bad handling over just one winter - or even on one short vacation - will completely wreck a battery) and how big your solar panel is and what loads you are going to run abnd for how long and what other means of charging the battery is on board.

And blah, blah blah ...

This was one lot of links that will help you answer your own question.

http://www.phrannie.org/invert.html will advise you on the strengths and limitations of inverters

There are other more sophisticated sites around but this bloke has a no-nonsense style that is quite readable. Most is 5 years old and written for US but still well-current and applicable to your situation.

His other stuff is here
http://www.phrannie.org/phredex.html
and if you read and absorb all that is applicable to motorhoming in UK and Europe, you will be well qualified to come back here tomorrow and be the one giving the advice.

If you are holed up in a snow storm and getting bored go to the sources and resources link http://www.phrannie.org/sources.html and start reading. You may end up being even more bored but you will be knowledgeable and bored, which is better than being merely bored.

You will need more than 2x 110A of batteries. You will need in excess of 80w of solar panel. If you must have a Genny (and you want to wild it) then you will need a Kipor or a Honda silent type Genny. You don't want to advertise your presence, do you?
Now if you are prepared for that level of expediture then you're in with a chance: Please don't get the idea that it can be done on the cheap because you are talking about expensive items.

battery power

I would like to add that before I got the motorhome we used to rally in a caravan, (same as wildcamping in that we had no electric). We easily went 5 days without worrying in spring/summer. Just use the power sensibly, for example if you have a small van why put on the blown air heating! the fire heats the van up. But as the others have said, give it a go first. Our current van has two bulbs in each ceiling light, I've just removed one from each and I can still see to do everything perfectly well using half the power. I am hoping to start investing in LED lighting, replacing bulbs as they go. Yes there is a massive cost difference but this way it shouldn't be painful.

Jon

Thank you to all
I will have a read up, and try out
Regards Julie

Kate, Tony's answer really is the best... i.e. Suck it and see. We went to Poole last year and tried without hook up, after 3 days of lights, 15" TV & Freeview box the battery display was showing 50% (what ever that means?) anyway everything was still working fine. We then went out for the day so the battery was charged up and we started all over again!!! All those times I've paid for hook up and really it's not been needed.

So my advice is take the genny/hook up lead and see how you get on, providing you have a seperate engine battery then it doesn't matter if the battery does go flat does it?

Kate, Tony's answer really is the best... i.e. Suck it and see. We went to Poole last year and tried without hook up, after 3 days of lights, 15" TV & Freeview box the battery display was showing 50% (what ever that means?) anyway everything was still working fine. We then went out for the day so the battery was charged up and we started all over again!!! All those times I've paid for hook up and really it's not been needed.

So my advice is take the genny/hook up lead and see how you get on, providing you have a seperate engine battery then it doesn't matter if the battery does go flat does it?
in my last van i could easily do a weekend, but then i did drive everyday over the weekend. don't know with the new one has halogen lighting, so like telstar i will be looking in to led so there is less drain on the battery, and of course less heat produced from them too

I dont even use a leisure battery, then again when im wilding it I go to get away no tv, dvds or any of that what I can do at home after a couple of times you soon get to know how long your battery will last, and if it goes flat you have an early night or sit outside by a fire if possable, as long as its not your main battery its not really a problem, I sometimes go in my van in the dark just so that I know my way round if needed but then I am a kinda layed back person

in my last van i could easily do a weekend, but then i did drive everyday over the weekend. don't know with the new one has halogen lighting, so like telstar i will be looking in to led so there is less drain on the battery, and of course less heat produced from them too

A weekend should not be a problem, in the winter, and during the summer I would expect a lot more.
At the Cromford meet weekend my batteries were fine and we never used the geny:cool:

Another suggestion

To extend your battery life it is essential to cut your power. I have just changed all my Halogen lighting to L.E.D and at this time of year I am Hoping to cut my draw substantially. Each light will now draw about 1amp and you can now get both warm and white replacements. It has taken about an hour to replace them, so I now don't need to worry about leaving lights on in the long winter nights.

"Each light will now draw about 1amp"

Possibly 1Watt which is around 1/10th of an amp rather than 1Amp???

Some LED globes are quite bluish which does terrible things to the appearance of skin and food, so it is best to try one before splashing out to replace the lot.

I built a few LED lights using white and warm-white LEDs and they certainly help conserve battery power and are ideal as reading lights or small task lighting, but they do have disadvantages when it comes to providing a nice warm even light over a large area. Low voltage fluoros and halogen lamps still win out in that application.
I also built several night lights that use so little power that they are left on 24/7. Each one draws about 15mA and there is one in the toilet, one in the kitchen and two at the front entrance and that makes it easy to get around at night when nature calls or when coming back home in the dark.

Kate, the battery display was showing 50% (what ever that means?) anyway everything was still working fine. We then went out for the day so the battery was charged up and we started all over again!!!.

providing you have a seperate engine battery then it doesn't matter if the battery does go flat does it?

I Have just noticed Nosha's post.
Unless you have Gel Batteries you have basically taken a very considerable amount off the life of those batteries.
A "Starter" battery can be safely (just) taken to 80% of capacity
A "Leisure" (the normal type that we all seem to buy) down to approximately 70%
If you are looking to make usages like you appear to have done then be prepared to replace the batteries far sooner than might be expected. They are simply not designed for that type of use.

"Each light will now draw about 1amp"

Possibly 1Watt which is around 1/10th of an amp rather than 1Amp???

Some LED globes are quite bluish which does terrible things to the appearance of skin and food, so it is best to try one before splashing out to replace the lot.

I built a few LED lights using white and warm-white LEDs and they certainly help conserve battery power and are ideal as reading lights or small task lighting, but they do have disadvantages when it comes to providing a nice warm even light over a large area. Low voltage fluoros and halogen lamps still win out in that application.
I also built several night lights that use so little power that they are left on 24/7. Each one draws about 15mA and there is one in the toilet, one in the kitchen and two at the front entrance and that makes it easy to get around at night when nature calls or when coming back home in the dark.
The new multi cluster l.e.ds now available give just as good a pool of light. I have both warm and white installed and as I changed them I compared light value and there is virtually no difference especially in brightness.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back