Solar to Battery Wire Size

Kontiki

Finally getting round to wiring engine battery to Truma dual charge controller. What size of wire do I need, solar panel is 100 watts, controller is 10 amps, engine battery is 90 amps. Intend to have controller set at 90% leisure 10% to engine. At the moment I rigged up a temporary wire setup which I can connect to keep battery topped up if we aren't using the van for a while. Figured a route to hard wire it so need to buy some cable about 8 metres, ideally as small as possible to be able to route it through.

so battery is a fair way from the controller?
when you say 8 Metres, to clarify... is that an 8 Metre cable run? or is it a 4M run and you are including both +ve and -ve? (would make a difference to cable gauge suggestion).
If you have the option, moving the controller to be closer to the battery and extending the Panel -Controller wiring would actually be slightly more efficient in performance.

You should be good with this
or

if it is the 4M run, this cable would work fine as well but I would try and stick with the 2.5mm if possible.

Roughly measuring it as I have to route it through the backs of cupboards I estimated about 6 to 8 metres. The van is 6 metres long with the controller in the top corner by the rear doors, van is a Ducato so battery under floor at front. Temporary cable is keeping battery topped up, not sure of size but doesn't look that heavy.

ah, sorry. I was not picking up that this is for the auxilary/starter battery connection.
So ignore comment on relocating controller :)
I would probably go with the 1.5mm cable for that purpose if you want as slim as possible. If you have a close chassis ground you can use, you could use that to save running a cable pair and just run a single +ve instead.
Also, if you have any connection anywhere that is provided by the starter battery, you can use that - you don't have to run all the way to the battery if there is a handier place.

PS. given the length of cable run, I would recommend you fuse it both ends (as both ends are a source of power). Just a couple of basic fuse holders would do the job.

Not sure I can find somewhere easily for earth connection near controller. Not sure what size the wire i had was, that is just over 5 metres but that is through the van, it will probably be about 6.5 metres but don't want to end up being a bit short. Got some blade fuse holders due to be delivered this week.

better a metre or two too long than 10cm too short (it can be very frustrating, especially with heavy cable :( )

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back