Solar panel installation

Robmac

I've decided on installing 2 of the following panels which are ridiculously cheap;

I've discussed all of the ancillary boxes and battery requirements etc with @merl and I am more than happy with his advice and what we have decided to go with. So, my question is regarding mounting them to the roof. They are obviously designed for home use and weigh 20.8Kg each but I know other members have fitted domestic panels and been happy with them.

My plan is to bolt aluminium angle to the panels and then Sikaflex (554) it to the roof and then add a couple of bolts. I also plan to put a Fiamma spoiler in front of the first panel to deflect the wind over the top. My only concern is that the roof is a very smooth plastic composite, but to be honest that may be better than sticking it to paint! I will 'rough up' the plastic with sand paper and put in some sort of backing on the inside to spread the load on the bolts.

Any advice would be gratefully received especially from anybody who has done similar, or from anybody who can foresee problems with this.

Bloody hell! Solar panels come with boy racer spoilers? Who knew? I'm having some of them! :D

Does this mean you will be getting your nuclear set up before me then? That won't do. Don't forget all the Flux Capacitor Controllers and Confuser units you need. Victknob do them I believe.

Bloody hell! Solar panels come with boy racer spoilers? Who knew? I'm having some of them! :D

Does this mean you will be getting your nuclear set up before me then? That won't do. Don't forget all the Flux Capacitor Controllers and Confuser units you need. Victknob do them I believe.

Battery delivery estimated for 16 days Barry - the race is on!

425W panels for £60 including VAT and free delivery? Whatever method you decide to secure the panels to the roof, make sure you can remove them again without too much hassle when they fail. (I'm not actually joking).

425W panels for £60 including VAT and free delivery? Whatever method you decide to secure the panels to the roof, make sure you can remove them again without too much hassle when they fail. (I'm not actually joking).

At 60 quid each David I'm quite prepared to take a risk!

That's two big panels, I never realised your van had that much roof space.

That's two big panels, I never realised your van had that much roof space.

There is nothing at all on the roof Colin - except the old 100W flex panel which I will be removing so yes, plenty of space.

Although I will be checking before I hit the 'buy' button!

1723044870052.png

At 60 quid each David I'm quite prepared to take a risk!
and why not at tht price. but you don't want to end up spending days removing the panels if there is a problem - that really would be a false bargain.

and why not at tht price. but you don't want to end up spending days removing the panels if there is a problem - that really would be a false bargain.

To be honest removing the panels would not be a problem but the aluminium angle would.

However, that may be adaptable to take the replacements with a bit of luck!

There is nothing at all on the roof Colin - except the old 100W flex panel which I will be removing so yes, plenty of space.

Although I will be checking before I hit the 'buy' button!

Just checked and yes they will fit with about 30mm to spare lengthways.

To be honest removing the panels would not be a problem but the aluminium angle would.

However, that may be adaptable to take the replacements with a bit of luck!
If you have a clear roof to play with, the approach I would suggest is to build a rail system - maybe using unistrut for example? you would then have a super-adaptable mounting system where you could do just about anything you want and if you want to change panels, be juat a matter of undoing a few bolts going into the rails.

I used Aluminium Seat Rails

Roof Tracks Prepped
by David, on Flickr

Attached to the Roof and then any panels just got bolted to the rails - no loads of adhesive to apply (and maybe remove) and minutes to move or change a panel for another - including different sizes.

PV + Fan
by David, on Flickr

Used that principle on a few vans and IMO it works very well.

If you have a clear roof to play with, the approach I would suggest is to build a rail system - maybe using unistrut for example? you would then have a super-adaptable mounting system where you could do just about anything you want and if you want to change panels, be juat a matter of undoing a few bolts going into the rails.

I used Aluminium Seat Rails

Roof Tracks Prepped by David, on Flickr

Attached to the Roof and then any panels just got bolted to the rails - no loads of adhesive to apply (and maybe remove) and minutes to move or change a panel for another - including different sizes.

PV + Fan by David, on Flickr

Used that principle on a few vans and IMO it works very well.

Yes I like that idea David.

The only problem I can see is that I can't get to the inside of the roof apart from at each end of the van to put a nut and washer. I could put rivnuts in or maybe even well nuts.

I will look into it thanks.

Yes I like that idea David.

The only problem I can see is that I can't get to the inside of the roof apart from at each end of the van to put a nut and washer. I could put rivnuts in or maybe even well nuts.

I will look into it thanks.
if you can secure a rail either end, and stick it down securely along the whole length, then it will be pretty well fixed. if you could find a way to secure centrally a well that would be best. I would think you could go through the roof (the same as same the solar cables or TV ariel is) inside a cupboard and use a spreader plate or even a simple penny/repair washer inside. (if you do drill into the roof, watch out for any cabling mind! I made a hole in the last week in my roof and where I drilled it I found a pair of wires that I didn't expect. Use a Forstner bit and you can go carefully without risking cable damage. any other drill bit and you are taking a risk).
In my example, I purposely left a small gap between each panel to avoid a "wing affect". With your proposed panels you will have a very long area for "trapped air" so your front aerofoil to divert the air over the top is a good idea I'd say

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back