Solar panel controller

yorkieowl

Can someone tell me if it is always necessary to fit an overcharging load to a controller. Reason I’m asking is our daughter has had a solar panel fitted but there is only 2 wires going to the battery and 2 to the solar panel but nothing connected to an over charge? If that makes sense lol, just quoting what hubby’s told me. 😁

Last edited:
Hi ya Yorkieowl,
In my opinion YES,
Don’t forget that a ‘Controller’ is ment to do exactly THAT 🤷🏻‍♂️. Check they haven’t fitted a solid state one near the Battery !.
It is also a Blocking Diode, A Regulator, & a way to pass MANY MANY hours a day watching the Voltage & Or Amps Harvested.

Pic.

Attachments

• 41F0D7D9-E7DC-48CA-9DB5-57BE87DBEBB6.jpeg
    41F0D7D9-E7DC-48CA-9DB5-57BE87DBEBB6.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 120
Sorry but in my opinion NO. So far that is 1 vote each.

Many solar controllers have a total of 4 wires. 2 from the solar panel and 2 to the leisure battery.

Many solar controllers have a total of 6 wires. 2 from the solar panel; 2 to the leisure battery and 2 to the vehicle battery.
The two to the vehicle battery are sometimes referred to as "overcharge" because on some controllers the only receive power when the leisure battery is fully charged. Some controllers will split the charge in a (often programable) ratio.

The only way to find out what your controller does is to read the manual. Apologies to all those who think reading manuals is slightly more evil than selling your soul to the devil.

Ahhhh, I read the OP as NOTHING at all other than the two wires was connected from Panel straight to Battery,,,
My mistake

Last edited:
Can someone tell me if it is always necessary to fit an overcharging load to a controller. Reason I’m asking is our daughter has had a solar panel fitted but there is only 2 wires going to the battery and 2 to the solar panel but nothing connected to an over charge? If that makes sense lol, just quoting what hubby’s told me. 😁
This is just a guess at what the thinking is behind the question ...

If you have a Wind (or Water) Turbine (I know you don't!), then I believe you need some kind of load dump to deal with surges where the main load (the battery) cannot absorb it.
I am wondering if hubby is wondering if a Solar Panel needs the same thing? The answer would be no, it doesn't.

See below lifted from their web site. Looks like it does have automatic cut off for over charging, deep discharging etc etc. Hope this helps.

Full system protection:

This charge controller features a full range of electronic safety functions including protection against reverse current at night (from the battery back to the solar panel) and automatic cut-off to prevent over-charging, deep discharge, overheating, overload, short circuit and reverse polarity (of the solar panels and batteries).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back