Solar advice wanted Part One

LT Man

I will try not to go on much but have loads of things to clarify/ask.
I will also post loads of photos as i know these help a lot for you to know my set up etc.

I am thinking now is time to put a panel on the roof as we normally don't stay anywhere for more than 2/3 nights max and just manage on out two 100Aph batteries. Last trip saw them down to 12.0 v a couple of times and thinking next year might want to stay still a bit longer.

What size ? Between 100-130w I think as I need to keep it as light as poss. and will need to keep it forward as much as poss. but unfortunately that is still directly over rear axle and above my high mounted oven . My rear axle load is already at it max. I think I would prefer a solid type panel with the corner mounts even through they are heavier as if possible would like the cable entry underneath it. Is that possible and this would then come through roof above my oven . From oven to ceiling is about 75mm space then thought would route into back of wardrobe and mount controller next to my fridge fan temperature controller .

See part two

LT Man

PS you may see this also on an other motorhime forum to try get a wide feel of what the tech folks think is best. Van Roof.jpgTop fridge Vent.jpgAbove oven.jpgInside Robe.jpg

I will also post loads of photos as i know these help a lot for you to know my set up etc.

I am thinking now is time to put a panel on the roof as we normally don't stay anywhere for more than 2/3 nights max and just manage on out two 100Aph batteries. Last trip saw them down to 12.0 v a couple of times and thinking next year might want to stay still a bit longer.

What size ? Between 100-130w I think as I need to keep it as light as poss. and will need to keep it forward as much as poss. but unfortunately that is still directly over rear axle and above my high mounted oven . My rear axle load is already at it max. I think I would prefer a solid type panel with the corner mounts even through they are heavier as if possible would like the cable entry underneath it. Is that possible and this would then come through roof above my oven . From oven to ceiling is about 75mm space then thought would route into back of wardrobe and mount controller next to my fridge fan temperature controller .

That's scuppered it then, ANYTHING will make it illegal.

Trailer with panels on is the only option

My panels were fearly light and mounted on steel garden fence brackets bolted through the roof but corner ones prob best,do use a boat entry gland under panel for cables,if you have 200ah of batterys then you should fit two 100w panels as i did.

Attachments

• d gal 16 van.jpg
    d gal 16 van.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 109
  • sp 4.jpg
    sp 4.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 111
  • gland 3 .jpg
    gland 3 .jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 111
  • gland 2 .jpg
    gland 2 .jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 113
  • gland 1.jpg
    gland 1.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 104
If weight and roof space is an issue consider folding solar panels folding 100w solar panels | eBay

You can move them round to face the sun so they work better than fixed roof panels, just make sure they are secured to your motorhome with a security chain etc.

+1 if already at max you can’t fit permanently legally unless you can shed some weight. Folding would be the only option, if you stay with the van most of the time you could gain over a fixed panel by keeping it directed at the sun too. Fixed isn’t the only solution :)

Are you sure you can’t get panels on the front, have you measured and checked panel sizes? It may be you can get a number of small panels instead of one or two larger ones.

I doubt an 8kg panel will make that much difference if the payload is exhausted. It could alter one way or the other if you have a few litres of water on board, too many clothes etc. Your probably going to be a bit under or over every trip. You would have to meet a pretty awkward Jobsworth Vosa agent to do you for 8kg over. I think they usually allow about 5%.

For the OP. We have 1 x 100w solar, 1 x 125AH battery and a clever MPPT Controller and ive been away currently on the same spot for 5 weeks off grid. This time of year I have more than enough power and we are running two laptops, TV, lights pump etc as much as we like. In theory if you wanted to save some weight you could dump one of the batteries. You would actually gain some payload then. Between April and September with just one battery and solar I never have to worry about power unless the weather is totally crap for days. A battery will weigh two or three times what a panel will. Lose one or replace them both with one new 125AH.

I was quite pleasantly surprised at how lightweight the XPlorer panels were when I fitted mine this week, compared to panels I've fitted to my previous vans. These were from Alpha Batteries where of course you get a significant full member discount. The 100w panel weighs in at 9 KG and the 200w panel at 16 KG.

Search results for: 'xplorer GERMAN CELL' - Alpha Batteries

I was also very pleasantly surprised at being able to shoe-horn 300w of solar onto the roof space of such a compact MH - it's just 4.8m long!

Solar1.jpg

Thanks for the info , all interesting stuff.

I am sticking with the two bats. as not that old and trying to do this on a budget.

Not really that worried about weight as got far too many toys in garage so some will just have to stay at home .

No room up front as two big sunroofs and curved sides of roof with them in a dropped center section .

I am going for the keep it simple install and forget the starter battery ( can charge that at home when van out of use )

LT Man

My take would be not to base the choice of Solar Panel in weight as the glass rigid ones are not really that heavy anyway and the extra weight one would add could be compensated very easily by not carrying something else or even just as simple as not filling the fuel tank totally full, etc.
I would also look at multiple smaller panels rather than a lesser (or single) larger panels. This will give you better flexibility for locations to fit.
Not sure what the front of your van looks like but I have seen some fitments with a panel on the sloped front above the windscreen on a high roof van. That would also move the (slight) weight increase forwards.

eBay seli 100w semi flexible panels for about £90. You can also get 30amp control panels for about £20. You drill a hole in your roof in the right place. Grit your teeth and just do it. Buy very expensive sealing material sikaflex I think it is called.This also sticks down the corner mounting brackets. Wire it into your leisure batteries. Job done. I really can't understand why people make so much fuss about this. I have three fully charged leisure batteries at all times. ( There is a switch on a fiat ducato control box for gel v lead acid.) Scorch your invertors !!!

See part two

LT Man

PS you may see this also on an other motorhime forum to try get a wide feel of what the tech folks think is best.View attachment 66474View attachment 66475View attachment 66476View attachment 66477

I'll 'reveal' one definate benefit that glass panels have over flexible ones .... They work a lot better in the rain!

not in harvesting energy but in reducing the noise from rain :idea-007:

Thanks again for all your input folks

Yes I did mention my weight as I am on the limit but as Barry said another few kg is not a massive increase so I now think the solar benefits outweigh (pun intended he he ) the weight issue. I am sure I can loose a few bits and bobs and only take things related to trip rather than my just in case system I tend to use when packing van.

Saying that It will be a solid frame type ( not a flexible one ) but will try to keep near to 8kg as poss.

I have about 1400 x 1000 just next to the bathroom roof light so that would keep it over rear axel so thought something like this
120W solar panel charging kit for motorhome caravan boat 10A controller 120 watt 5060297342530 | eBay

I think/hope 120w should work for us as like I said we manage now without any solar so it is just so we can stay still an extra night or two.

I now decided to just keep it simple and forget the Cab battery and just wire straight to the hab bats .
Apparently best to wire to one on the positive side and the negative on the other.

LT Man

A very fair point and it is not something you could put a guard over to protect either.

Ok. Cancel that idea :)

Whoa there. Solar panels are faced with toughened/tempered glass, and so (relatively)
cheap these days that it might be preferable to run the risk of sacrificing an easily replaced panel
rather than getting an annoying expensive to repair dent in the roof.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back