So I want to drive to Greece this winter....

• Thread starter Deleted member 62288
  • Start date
if you're dead set on Spain.....I'd seriously recommend the ferry from Cittavechia to Barcelona.
driving up the west coast of Italy, you'll eventually have to circumnavigate Genoa...( no fun ).
then take the motorway along the Ligurian coast (endless tunnels & viaducts)....don't even think about trying
the non motorway coast roads......much worse than the east coast Italian roads.
after the Italian motorway, just over the French border, you have the horrendous drive down the mountain behind Monaco.
it's motorway, but always scares the sh*t out of me.
if you want to break up the ferry journey.....sail to Sardinia (Porto Torres....easy wilding around the port).....
then ferry on to Barcelona.
just my 2 cents ......happy trails.

Agree 100%

if you're dead set on Spain.....I'd seriously recommend the ferry from Cittavechia to Barcelona.
driving up the west coast of Italy, you'll eventually have to circumnavigate Genoa...( no fun ).
then take the motorway along the Ligurian coast (endless tunnels & viaducts)....don't even think about trying
after the Italian motorway, just over the French border, you have the horrendous drive down the mountain behind Monaco.
if you want to break up the ferry journey.....sail to Sardinia (Porto Torres....easy wilding around the port).....

Certainly from LaSpezia to and beyond Genoa the non-toll route would be herrendous
OP experienced bad roads recently on the east ...double the problem and more !

We travelled from Susa going near Turin and south to Cuneo on Non-toll roads...Rutted Pot-hold Traffic after that is was M Ways always. As I posted earlier we spent a total of 117Euros on Italian Tolls including Sicily -but not including Ferries)
Well worth it

When planning to go via Genoa remember one of the main bridges collapsed late summer so beware of the satnav but there will be diversions signed

December 12th update

Tonight will be my last night in Italy, I'll be in France sometime tomorrow.

I've skipped the intention to travel along the French Coast and have retraced my previous route via Turin and under Mont Blanc via the Frejus tunnel.

No idea what the trip down to Perpignon will be like with regard to protests and fuel rationing, but my Guardian Angels will take care of that.

dark & cold outside, just east of Turin, hoping to get some sunshine by the weekend.

james

Thanks Dan, I've heeded your comments, I really don't like heights and there is enough aggro in France already so I've gone for the Frejus tunnel again and will get down to Perpignon on the motorways to get the miles behind me asap. #

james

the best laid plans o' mice & men....
gang aft agley.

R. Burns

here comes the sun......

G. Harrison

you can get it if you really want......

J. Cliff

party on dude......

Thanks Dan, I've heeded your comments, I really don't like heights and there is enough aggro in France already so I've gone for the Frejus tunnel again and will get down to Perpignon on the motorways to get the miles behind me asap. #

james

We also do not like heights.
The alternative to Frejus tunnel is Col de Mont Cenis
High but not steep or scary
We used it in the summer very good ..................BUT NOT NOW (I expect the pass is closed)

Sunday 16th Dec - bandits avoided.

Sitting in the Galp service area on the A7/E15 Autovia Del Mediteraneo just south of Valencia.
My last night in France was in Languedoc-Roussilon, crossed the border into Spain on Saturday morning, didn't see a protest and filled up twice since the Frejus with no fuel rationing or apparent shortages. Probably because I stayed on the motorways for the last leg of France.

First pull in for a break after crossing into Spain was a lay by near Barcelona, where I encountered my first highwayman of this trip. A head appeared through the side / kitchen window and was very excited and wound up, trying to get me to open the door and go outside to inspect some "plastique damage" to the motorhome. His car was parked at an angle in front of me, blocking my exit.
Immediately recognising the situation, after having this T shirt in several colours from previous such attempts, I basically played ignorant and told him that I couldn't help.
I was about to grab the phone to take some pictures of him, his mate and their car, I pointed to the dashcam and he walked once around the van before getting into his car and driving off. His mate stayed in the car but was watching very closely throughout.

I habitually have all door deadlocks on when I am parked up, luckily the dog had just completed his comfort break/new territory markups, and I had the doors locked and a window open.

Spent Saturday night at another service area south of Barcelona without incident.

I've had similar attempts on my last 2 euro cruises, I've been lucky so far, partly due to my cautiousness when parked up in certain places.

Now just south of Valencia and I'm down to a T shirt, it's very windy, making the driving in a straight line a little challenging.

I've got no fixed plans from this point in time, the laundry is building up so I'll probably seek out some campsite digs for a while.

Happy Daze

james

Loafing in a campsite for a week or so

After being on the road for a month, I pulled into a campsite in Balerma, Almeria.
I've booked in for 2 weeks to catch up on the domestic chores, the usual 3 or 4 loads of laundry and endless free hot showers, I do tend to sleep better when I am in a safer place. This place (Mar Azul) is a typical big campsite occupied with many nation's retirees, wintering in the sunshine. Few English voices here.
Spend your holiday at Mar Azul Campsite in Balerma, Almeria (Spain)

Good atmosphere and good choice of cafe food. Found the local Spar for basic provisions, will be getting a taxi up to the larger Consum supermarket some time next week.

As always, no fixed plans for next destinations, but I'll probably follow the coast around to Tarifa, stopping off in the evenings as and when.

I need to get a proper SatNav, which allows vehicle dimensions / weight to be included in it's calculations, the hastily purchased TomTom (after losing my rag with the Garmin Camper), will insist on sending me up narrow allies and under low bridges, already had a few nightmares where I've had to reverse into oncoming traffic to retreat from a low bridge in Italy and several narrow side streets in Spain which were un-navigable to a motorhome.

Algecicras has a large Media-Markt that should sell me a suitable device.

That's all for now, dear reader, Happy Humbugs to those of you who participate in the Pagan Festivities, I'll be ignoring the entire thing as I usually do.

james

Have a look at Co Pilot for caravans ... it’s what we use. Though nothing is fail safe. Have a warm and dry Christmas and New Year.

After being on the road for a month, I pulled into a campsite in Balerma, Almeria.
I've booked in for 2 weeks to catch up on the domestic chores, the usual 3 or 4 loads of laundry and endless free hot showers, I do tend to sleep better when I am in a safer place. This place (Mar Azul) is a typical big campsite occupied with many nation's retirees, wintering in the sunshine. Few English voices here.
Spend your holiday at Mar Azul Campsite in Balerma, Almeria (Spain)

Good atmosphere and good choice of cafe food. Found the local Spar for basic provisions, will be getting a taxi up to the larger Consum supermarket some time next week.

As always, no fixed plans for next destinations, but I'll probably follow the coast around to Tarifa, stopping off in the evenings as and when.

I need to get a proper SatNav, which allows vehicle dimensions / weight to be included in it's calculations, the hastily purchased TomTom (after losing my rag with the Garmin Camper), will insist on sending me up narrow allies and under low bridges, already had a few nightmares where I've had to reverse into oncoming traffic to retreat from a low bridge in Italy and several narrow side streets in Spain which were un-navigable to a motorhome.

Algecicras has a large Media-Markt that should sell me a suitable device.

That's all for now, dear reader, Happy Humbugs to those of you who participate in the Pagan Festivities, I'll be ignoring the entire thing as I usually do.

james

Buy it on amazon.es and get it sent to Tarifa box, then just collect it when you arrive. Use google translate on the website to figure it out.

Update Feb 2 - In a Voluntary Persistent vegetative state

Hola Dear Reader,

After spending the festering weeks in Balerma, Almereia, I headed west and booked 4 weeks in a great campsite just outside of Tarifa town.

I've been here before, in 2016, (when I needed to catch up with the laundry and armpits), I ended up spending 3 months here.

Tarifa has a nice buzz on many levels. with some of the best weather in Europe. It is also one of the windiest places in the EU. This is what makes it the Kite surfing capital. It attracts people of all persuasions and backgrounds and everyone gets on just fine together.

I looked up an old friend who helped me to track down some splendid home-grown which has resulted in a deep chill - happy daze.
So I've done jack for the whole month of January while seriously enjoying every moment.

Current status is "Persistent vegetative state", no plans to re-animate in the short term.

Looking into February, I have no plans other than to look into getting the required tickets for Spanish residency. a couple of acres in the sun has been looking very appealing for a few years. So I'll need to jump through a few hoops to get a NINO and other tickets that will allow me to buy land or property over here. Same needed buying/insuring a car. (or a tractor), I've wanted to own a tractor since I was a kid.

It'll be interesting to see how Brexit affects ex-pat applicants for Spanish residency.

Medium term I'd like to head north into Scandinavia for some of the summer months. Italy is defiantly on the cards for some summer fun, as is Greece. General guide for me is to move if it gets too hot or cold, chase the sweet spot, wherever it might be.

Depends on how challenging the bureaucracy is regarding the residency application, which might take several months, pushing me past the Brexit date with it's unknowns.
My main concern is to ensure that the pooch can travel freely and across borders., humans and motor homes should have no problems, perhaps having to pay for a tourist visa or similar irritation. European countries still want tourists and the income that we bring.

Updates will continue, but frequency and content will vary.

Thanks You Dear Reader, Hasta Luego

james

Last edited by a moderator:
Well - what have you achieved?

Started to read your exploits on an occasional basis prior to Xmas.
Now the story has dried, what you need is to get back on track.
Sort it soldier

Buy it on amazon.es and get it sent to Tarifa box, then just collect it when you arrive. Use google translate on the website to figure it out.

I eventually orderered a TomTom Camper from Argos, had it delivered to my sis's house, who then forwarded it to me here in Tarifa.
The satnav arrived yesterday and is ready to go.

I drove into Algeciras last week, there is a MediaMarkt and a Carrefour who both advertise these TomToms on their respective websites.
But I wasted my diesel and time as their in-store range was abysmal. Order on the website was suggested at both places... Fat chance of success, all in Spanish with no option to have a EN page. I did try but failed.

I am currently awaiting a pair of Dometic ext. fridge vents. I have been without the top vent since sometime in November, I noticed its absence when I arrived in Belgium, no idea what happened to it, probably at the side of the rough track that I had to negotiate in W/Sussex when I departed.

For one reason or another I had been trying to source & order these since November and have only just got them in sight, that is the tracking page tells me that as of 04:00 this morning, they had arrived "at the destination country" which is puzzling as they arrived at CDG which is in Paris....

All part of life's rich tapestry aye?

james

If you use Chrome as your browser it will translate web pages to English if you wish.

Works well in most cases ...

I'm getting close to getting the arse into gear again (and the hymer, pooch etc) Tarifa is splendid, the place really tickles my chakras, but with my limited mobility I tend to stay at the campsite almost all of the time, this gets boring eventually, so...

By the weekend, (probably, possibly, maybe, perhaps) I'll have reconfigured the Hymer and all loose items etc, into travel mode (as opposed to loafing-on-a-campsite mode) and will be making a left and sideways move (west) over into the Algarve to further explore the delights of Portugal.

I have an intention of spending a few months in Scandinavia during the summer before heading to the UK.
After which, I'll be getting an early MOT on the Hymer, currently it's mid November.. not the best month to return to Blighty just for an MOT. is it?

I met this couple from Norway, who have sold up and have been full-timing for 12 months or so, nice people, good website of theirs, Google translate is needed - which produces some humorous English mis-translations, but hey, wga toffee ?

FinnSummeTone - Pa heltid i bobil - Finn & Tona's adventures in a camper (albeit a very posh camper). Their camper has a dry toilet, it evaporates the liquids and cremates the solids... upon enquiry regarding the cost of one, in the region of 4K, I can think of a whole lot of fun to be had for 4 grand, so it's 2x replacement thetford cassettes for me.

While in the UK and if I am intending to spend next winter in Tarifa, I'll be trailoring a car behind me so I'll be buying one of them WAV jobbies, that have been modified with a ramp and space for a mobility scooter. This combination will really open up a huge number of opportunities to me. (WAV is Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle).
Peugeot Partner Tepee - Auto - 2013 - Wheelchair Accessible | eBay

The one in the link above is an example, the colour is dreadful, but is typical of what I would be buying.

I'll have to buy another trailer too, a Peugeot Teepee size will need a twin axle trailer, my current one is ok for a Fiat 500 sized car.

Other stuff that needs attention;

2x new Thetford cassettes, yesterday a few hours was spent mopping up and disinfecting the flooded toilet locker, looks like the rubber seal at the bottom of the pan, has perished, the spare cassette had a dislocated sliding mechanism, so to get a working solution, I had to delve in and cannabalise both to get a good one.
Not one of my best afternoon's memories.
I'll see if I can buy a replacement pair in Portugal, I really don't want to clean up and repair the originals...

I only know of one Camper Spares place in the Algarve, near Loule, trouble is, the owner is widely reputed to have a bit of an attitude, which always rubs me the wrong way... So I'll be giving them a wide berth.

I packed the camera but not the charger for the batteries, I'll have to try and track that down or replace. I've taken hardly any pictures this trip out.

I need to swap out the iron and load up the espresso machine.

I can't believe how much crap I have in the rear garage/locker, that needs to be thinned out - but knowing me, I'll find more crap to load up.

That's about all I have on my current agenda, but I am easily and rapidly influenced by anything remotely hedonistic, so who knows what may change or emerge ?

But I am allowing maximum self indulgence to affect me, as often as I can (where legal) so I may change my plans to who knows what.
I realise that I am incredibly fortunate and grateful of my options and choices.

That's the update dear reader,

Greetings from Tarifa...

James

If you use Chrome as your browser it will translate web pages to English if you wish.

Works well in most cases ...

I have previously tried that, it all goes down the pan when the checkout and payment websites failed when going via a third party website (google.com).
The VISA payment system was deeply unhappy.

The last thing that I need is for my card(s) to get cancelled because of suspicious behaviour detected coming from a foreign internet address, with a Spanish delivery address.

Sorted for this purchase anyways.

james

I only know of one Camper Spares place in the Algarve, near Loule, trouble is, the owner is widely reputed to have a bit of an attitude, which always rubs me the wrong way... So I'll be giving them a wide berth.
Hi, presumably this refers to the English co-owner of Camperserv - he carried out a repair on my fridge before Christmas and while his customer service skills aren't anything to write home about, he wasn't unfriendly or anything. Just not very good with people, but polite enough and got the job done at a very good price. I'd get in touch via their Faceache page to ask if they have the part(s) in stock. If so I'm sure you could tolerate a couple of minutes of slightly abrupt customer service in order to pick up and pay for the goods. :)

Hi, presumably this refers to the English co-owner of Camperserv - he carried out a repair on my fridge before Christmas and while his customer service skills aren't anything to write home about, he wasn't unfriendly or anything. Just not very good with people, but polite enough and got the job done at a very good price. I'd get in touch via their Faceache page to ask if they have the part(s) in stock. If so I'm sure you could tolerate a couple of minutes of slightly abrupt customer service in order to pick up and pay for the goods. :)

I have just used Camperserv in Loule to get a replacement Holding Tank Mechanism for my Thetford toilet (after two failures to get the part in in Cadiz and Seville). They promptly replied to my e-mails and had the part waiting for me when I arrived. Mind you, he did say he would have to kill me when I mistakenly said "gracias" (my excuse is I had just come from five months in Spain!). Incidentally, it was £5 cheaper than the price listed on Thetford's website. :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back