Snow in Portugal

Topmast

Well today is only the second time since living here that we have had a flurry of snow, obviously I realize that further north they do get more but don’t except to see it in the central region of Portugal.It brings back memory’s of digging sheep out of snow drifts in Scotland.

I’ve got the morning news on and apparently there is lots of snow in the middle of Madrid along with extremely low temperatures elsewhere in Spain.
We are in Almeria Province, where the daytime temperatures at this time of year are usually above 17 Celcius. In the past few days they have been struggling to get past 10! There are reports of snow drifts in Valencia Province and I am wearing trousers instead of shorts!

We are in Almeria Province, where the daytime temperatures at this time of year are usually above 17 Celcius. In the past few days they have been struggling to get past 10! There are reports of snow drifts in Valencia Province and I am wearing trousers instead of shorts!

I`ve messaged the brother-in-law who lives in the Orba Valley area to ask if they`ve had any but he hasn`t responded yet, i`ll update when he does.

I`ve messaged the brother-in-law who lives in the Orba Valley area to ask if they`ve had any but he hasn`t responded yet, i`ll update when he does.

He`s just answered, none yet but the forecast is not good :(

Snow at our place in Andalucia (Galera) (4" fell overnight) which is normal but a little early in the season.

it snowed once on the Silves - Portimao back road , about half an inch lying on the road . the reaction was amazing , cops and firemen were out slowing down the traffic , lots of people pulled off the road ,too scared to continue ,young people wandering around ,mesmerised and making snowballs ,bit like a disaster movie ,but there wasn't enough to slow you down in reality

In September 1981 in South Africa we had a snowstorm, our maid in her fifties had never seen snow and went outside to dance in her bare feet in it, she spent over an hour with others in the street throwing snowballs, it was amazing to watch and I must admit I felt guilty when I docked her wages

In September 1981 in South Africa we had a snowstorm, our maid in her fifties had never seen snow and went outside to dance in her bare feet in it, she spent over an hour with others in the street throwing snowballs, it was amazing to watch and I must admit I felt guilty when I docked her wages

I was in Secunda when that happened. The locals were excited but there were quite a few Rhodesians who were firstly amazed and then asking how soon would it go away and get warmer. :D

He`s just answered, none yet but the forecast is not good :(

He`s just sent this through taken this morning.

IMG-20210109-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps, but this posted today from @kenspain i.e. someone actually on the ground, so not just the BBC 'exaggerating'
Thats like a News report of Scotland having snow I'd think that not unusual and hardly worth mentioning. And me saying we got snow which is unusual and perhaps worth commenting on Ken lives a long way south of Madrid

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back